1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's approval rating is at its highest point in years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 6, 2016.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Obama's approval rating is at its highest point in years, and that could be a big problem for Donald Trump

Barack Obama strode to the stage at last month's Democratic National Convention in an unusual speaking slot.

He spoke in the primetime hour Wednesday night, a spot typically reserved for a vice-presidential nominee.

In 2000, for instance, former President Bill Clinton spoke on Monday night of then-Democratic nominee Al Gore's convention. Former President George W. Bush, deeply unpopular in his second term, didn't show up for then-Republican nominee John McCain's party in 2008.

Obama's speaking slot was by design. It previewed an outsize role in his final campaign: Electing Hillary Clinton to be his successor in the White House.

"President Obama gives Hillary Clinton a hat trick: He can help unite the party by bringing out Bernie Sanders supporters into her camp, deliver an aggressive contrast about the threat posed by Donald Trump, and ensure that all the supporters of the Obama coalition show up in November," Ben LaBolt, a former spokesman for Obama's presidential campaigns, told Business Insider earlier this year.

Obama is prepared to campaign for his party's presidential nominee more than any sitting president in recent history. That could be a big problem for the GOP and its nominee, Donald Trump. And a huge boon for Clinton.

The president's approval rating got its own convention bump: In a CNN/ORC poll conducted after the convention, 54% of Americans said they approved of Obama's job performance. It was his highest mark since right before his second inauguration in 2013. Just 45% disapproved.

That number is significant. Earlier this year, an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found that President Barack Obama's approval rating had jumped to 51% — its highest point since his second inauguration.

NBC's team of political analysts called it the "most important number" out of the poll.

"Why is it important? Because it means that Obama will be an asset to Hillary Clinton on the campaign trail unlike he was in the 2014 midterms, when his approval rating was in the low 40s," NBC's Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Carrie Dann wrote.

The threshold might seem arbitrary. But historical precedent suggests it could bode well for Clinton, Obama's former secretary of state.

link

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What the blurb doesn't mention, KC, and it ought to, is how Gore blundered in 2000 by NOT using Bill Clinton to campaign for him on the stump. It was an act of hubris on Al's part. He seemed to think that he didn't need the support of the hugely popular President, a president who had higher approval ratings than Barack has now. Gore had Clinton stuck on Monday night during the convention as the article points out, the night with the smallest audience, traditionally, and despite Bill offering (reportedly on numerous occasions) to campaign around the country with Al, separately or together, however Al wanted it done, Gore chose to barely use him.

Al Gore should have won in 2000 for multiple reasons. Not using President Bill Clinton to campaign for him was definitely one of those reasons. Hillary Clinton, a much smarter politician than Gore could ever hope to be, will use the President until Obama drops from exhaustion, if allowed to. He will be a big asset during the next 90 days.

1 person likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can someone explain how Obama's DNC presense helps get out more Sanders votes for Clinton?

Not saying Obama's support doesn't help get out the vote, just saying Bernie's endorsement was vastly more necessary for getting out his voters, so think maybe the writer was stretching this part a wee bit too much. Or maybe I'm wrong and Bernie supporters are Obama voters???

#3 heypartner, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Al Gore got elected they would have blamed 9/11 on him and impeached him. The Republicans would still be talking about how he brought 9/11 upon the country now.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, I agree on this. Every time I get upset about the 2000 election, I think about the fact that the Republicans would not have hesitated to hang that on Gore's neck. We would still hear the usual suspects saying that the Democratic Party let 9/11 happen.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Before - "MAN, Obama sucks!"

* Watches Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump's campaigns *

After - "Gonna miss Obama"

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I thought it was a very well thought out and orchestrated DNC with one very clear message. Obama was delivering part of that message and did it very well.

The message was, on this side, it's not about Clinton but about you (and not just Sanders supporters, but I and some R) while on the Trump side is not about you, but all about me (me me me Trump). "only I can solve" your problem vs we need you to solve our problems. And are you someone that is for a few people (white and Christian) or all people (all colors and all religions)?

Taking the focus off Clinton and putting it on the voters is very smart given Clinton's unfavorable rating (I think especially effective with Bernie's supporters). Framing the other side as not about R but about one person is as smart, reminding them that Trump doesn't represent R and kept the door for them to move over to this side.

Trump then proceed to kick the door wide open.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Obama's DNC presence helps get out more Obama votes for Clinton. Some of those happen to also be Sanders votes, but many are not.

Anyway, you know who has done the best job getting out votes for Clinton lately? Donald Trump.

9. Buck Turgidson

I'm a single white male between the ages of 30 and 45, why don't I hate Obama?

Is there something wrong with me? Is there a group I can join?

10. Carl Herrera

Did you go to college? Apparently going to college makes people like Obama, statistically speaking.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

To Me he is easily in the Top 10 of Presidents
    (In my biased opinion the best . . . d*mn sure the best in my lifetime)

He has no major Scandals.
    He has done well with the economy
    I am still sketchy on his drone attacks and foreign policies
    Some of his domestic policies are bothersome

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

txtony,

I get the DNC message. But that didn't really answer my question about Obama bringing out the Bernie vote like the OP article writer said. You can't just ride a convention bump and expect that to deliver voters. You have to continue getting on the campaign trail.

Carl Herrera

Likewise to above, you can't count on Bernie voters to get out. You have to keep addressing their issues, and Hillary probably can't, and Obama can't be on the campaign trial as much, nor can he pull out Bernie voters in mass.

You need Bernie for that. And he promised to campaign vigorously for Clinton, but has he started, yet?

Here is what he said on Face the Nation last Sunday.

13. Carl Herrera

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-sanders-message-20160805-snap-story.html

Bernie did write this op-ed.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not for most smart people - folks have Known Obama is one of the greatest Presidents of all time.

DD

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Gore losing was necessary for Obama to rise.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You must be one of the gays.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Dude, Bush wasn't even close to the worst presidents of all time nor is Obama even close to the best presidents of all time.

To even begin to be in the class of best of all times, a President needs a very serious problem to address and do it successfully. You're a moron if you think Obama belongs in the same class as Washington, Lincoln, FDR or Reagan.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The worst economic crisis since the great depression while inheriting a senseless war should count, right? Obama must have done such a good job that you forgot about it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1996 - First Political Office
    2008 - President

That is a meteoric Rise. Some excellent 'luck' or favorable circumstances

Rocket River

20. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

People love it when the pres gives 400 mill to fund terrorists I guess