1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

I'm using a Panasonic plasma still too. I do have some burn in of UI elements on the various corners of the screen from playing stuff like Apex Legends, Forza, and Mortal Kombat.

tinman likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i never had issues with my panasonic plasma when i had it.
    they have some anti-burn in options in the menu. also, you can also run that white lines thing in the menu for an hour, then all your 'burn in' goes away.

that tv ran hot though

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That only works for temporary image retention, which is different from burn-in.
    You can't fix actual burn-in once pixels suffer from it.

4. Beezy

Beezy Member

I replied in the new TV thread to help keep this thread on topic.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy
    the jump from Plasma to OLED is natural like Moses Malone to Hakeem Olajuwon

Ziggy likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Which console will be better for streaming movies/series in the best video and sound quality? I'd also like the option for blu ray disc movies as well. Will one of these consoles for streaming be equal to or inferior or superior to a roku or apply tv 4k for fire stick etc?

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I believe both consoles should be the same for streaming. They should both support Dolby Vision unless you have a Samsung tv you can’t view that format

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sony doesn't allow you to play MKV files, which completely ruins Playstation if you want to play files from an HDD or a server. Those only work with XBox.

Both are on par if you want to use Netflix, Prime etc.

Regarding Blu-ray, both play 4k UHD 100GB discs, but in case of PS5 make sure to buy the version with a drive, the 400$ Digital Edition has no Blu-ray drive.

#689 Yung-T, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Samsung TV and have had samsungs other than a few LG's my entire life, but considering making the move to OLED and open to whatever tv is best despite brand.

Well as far as mkv files go, i can just stream on the plex media server app which i'm sure both consoles will have

But, looks like both consoles will do what i need. I don't want a bunch of separate devices, ie, dedicated Blu Ray player, dedicated media streamer, dedicated gaming console + dedicated htpc. The PS5 w/ disc reader will erase my need for my blu ray player or roku

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I have an LG OLED and it’s great.
    Sony and LG are the main players while Visio just came out with one. Panasonic has OLED outside the USA.
    It’s been worth the price, I’ve had no issues at all except watching too much tv

Caesar likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea that should still work on both consoles, so that option is fine.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I made a TV thread, you can post there and check past posts.

You could describe your main use cases (gaming, which TV genres, hours/day, room situation) in order for me to tell you some pros and cons of OLED/QLED.

Caesar likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Back when HDTVs were lamp-lit I was a Sony man. Then came plasma (Pioneer was the best) and LCD was popular - but I was a Samsung believer during that run. IMO LG makes the best TV today. Leaving brand loyalty behind is the way to go, that's for sure. I will say, throughout HDTV's lifespan, across all technologies, Sony seems to have been the most consistent.

arkoe, Caesar and tinman like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To make things easier, just DM CES regular @tinman or checkout Reddit. No need to bother Yung-T.

tinman likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

I don’t have brand loyalty as well.
    I base my decisions on research, word of mouth and actually viewing the product in a correct environment.
    These newbs think Best Buy is the best environment, it’s not. The lighting at your house is different than a warehouse and the picture settings are not on full blast to compensate for the lighting.
    Quality first always

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Imma just put you two trolls on ignore now.

Sad you have to pollute threads with your trolling when it's evident you know nothing about TV technology, don't understand any of the links you post (even contradicting them) and would rather act like fake experts to win internet points instead of helping ppl making sound decisions with their money.

And if tinman's regular CES attendance lead to him not noticing easy mistakes in reviews, contradicting sources and not knowing anything beyond "viewing angles" and "perfect blacks", it's pretty obvious he isn't anyhow informed on TV tech and has the TV knowledge of a grandma that read an OLED pamphlet once in her life.

Everyone can see that you have dodged every single technological issue I stated and answered incorrectly about colours, banding etc, so stop with the childish pretending and get a life.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't care about the highest quality. You can get 65" screens for under 800. That's amazing when you think about it.

It just doesn't make sense for me to break over 1500 just to see the same "screen" drop by 40% in 3 years.

I get that people like ultra premium. Go forth! Make tech cheaper for the rest of us.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The tech may get cheaper but not neccisarily the panel. The B9 & C9 for example have become rare. Very limited inventory. Exceptional TV models sell out.

tinman likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We are loyal to the Rockets.

tinman likes this.