1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(New York Times) 36 Hours in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RasaqBoi, Feb 16, 2016.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Cool read.

People only seem to mention going to Houston for work or study. And while “summering in Houston” is unlikely to become a thing, there has to be more to the city than office towers and libraries since so many of those who do go decide to stay. After more than a decade of frenetic growth, Texas’s biggest city is now America’s fourth largest, and according to several studies, its youngest (more millennials than boomers) and its most ethnically and culturally diverse. So it’s not surprising that Houston offers an amazing gastronomic mix — from taco stands, chicken and waffle joints and all manner of barbecue to Greek, Persian and Vietnamese cuisine — most with an attitude-free vibe. Enriched by the two great American traditions of immigration and philanthropy, the city’s ever-growing museums strike a balance between an expansive global outlook and strong local support. And the bayou in the heart of the city when it was founded in 1836 has been revived as a verdant park. With summer’s heat and humidity at bay, and with a prolonged drop in oil prices meaning less work and more play for some Houstonians, now is the time to go.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/11/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-houston.html?_r=0

1 person likes this.
  2. marky :)

marky :) Member

We're known for Libraries?

Do we even have Libraries?

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Think he meant strip clubs. No, I'm positive he meant strip clubs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Great, more Yankee hipsters and traffic.

6. MystikArkitect

Where are the Yankee hipsters? This city is still pretty much an old fogey town.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Millenial carpetbaggers

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'll take Sky Space at Rice (which I didn't know about and will be checking out), the Museum of Fine Art, and Buffalo Bayou. But as for the rest of that stuff... Yeah, that's not MY Houston.

But to each his own. And I guess that's kinda what makes this city great.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What part of town do you live in???

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

But do you vape?!?! :eek:

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Buffalo Bayou Park is really coming along. It should be absolutely beautiful once complete. I think the park is just about done, now they're just working on Allen Parkway.

It's so cool working across the street from the dog park. I love that I can go across the street and chill any time I want in the middle of my workday - especially when it's nice like in the fall and winter.

Besides the Museum District, this is quickly becoming my favorite part of town.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't think it is well known but houstons libraries are great. Julia Ideson is a great place to read.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The problem I have with bayou is people litter way too much. Walk to the bottom of the bayou and look. There is is trash everywhere.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Also when it rains heavy the park turns into an overflow of mud. It takes weeks of dry weather to get it back into shape. I do love what they've done in the area a lot, but I really liked the dog park MUCH better the way it was before. My dogs don't enjoy the crap infested dog pools or the mud that surrounds half of the park due to it.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Felt so bad for my cousins Russian wife. She visited for a month with him and she absolutely hated Houston. She felt trapped. Couldn't walk anywhere like she is used to. She thought it was ugly and boring. She did enjoy going to the Rockets and Astros games, but the nightlife, the museums etc was nothing to her. She was pretty much depressed for the final week locked in her room sleeping the entire day or talking all day with family and friends back home. She looked so miserable the final time i saw her, which wasn't the day before she left because the day before she left she stayed in her room literally every hour of the day. She didn't even come out to use the bathroom i suppose in order to avoid us because i think she was crying so much wanting to go home.

That is what i think of Houston. A place that makes a poor Russian feel worse than being in the gulag. I will never bring someone from outside of the US to Houston for their first experience of America. I miss San Diego. :(

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's pretty accurate about Houston. Houston has a vibe that is unique. It's the most diverse and integrated city in the word and people are just nice and polite. The museums are very underrated.

The heat and the fact you have to drive 30 miles to get anywhere is the reason I don't live there anymore. I like Austin more but people here are assholes compared to Houston and the food has just started to catch up.

1 person likes this.
  17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Depends on the person, their mindset, and how you are as a host. You can say this about anyplace in the world.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good point. Luckily it hasn't rained in a few months so it's looking great at the moment. Honestly I don't pay much attention to how the water looks. I just assumed it looks like crap because of all the dogs swimming in it.

What part has all the trash? I'm looking out my window now and don't see any trash at all.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hmm...all that time spent on the bayou and no mention of Texas Beavers.

[​IMG]

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

True, but Houston still wouldn't be anyone's first choice of city to bring a foreigner. She came from Voronezh and also lived in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I think New York is the only place that would have been to her liking. My cousin moved to Monterey, CA. She apparently doesn't care much for that either. She thinks it's beautiful, but it's just not her thing. I thought she must be crazy, but she's just a big city girl.