1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nbaplaybook.com] What Sets Can Kevin McHale Bring To Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 8, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Check it out. It's basic, but good stuff.
    http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/07/08/what-sets-can-kevin-mchale-bring-to-houston/

2. daernoth

daernoth Member

Very interesting article man. Can't wait to see what McHale can do with this team and our young guys in particular.

3. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Im surprised I never seen this thread,

This excatly what I wanted to see! I have been telling friends that we are perfect for the flex offensive. I think that Mchale will be able to get the most out of Kmart by using the Bigs more effectively. And get the most out of the Bigs by coaching them more effectively.

4. Wilford_Knows

Wilford_Knows Member

It's amazing how some of the more "knowledgeable" posters on the board have chosen not to post in this thread. :rolleyes:

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

To be fair, I did a bad job selling it.

I didn't want to copy the whole thing and the first set was already like five pictures, a video plus some text, so I just copy&pasted the intro.

As for the sets, I think the handoff clearout is tailor made for Martin. One or two quick dribbles, dunk, layup or and1. I can see it already. I won't work every time and probably not more than once a game, as most defenses won't defend it that poorly, but it's similar to the left wing iso clearout we ran for Martin last year.

I don't think we have the right personal to run the wing pick&roll sets, as our points guards aren't consistent enough shooters/playmakers.

I'm not crazy about the flex in general, but if there's one team that has the personal to run it, it's us.
    The basics of the flex are similar to some of Adelman's sets, so it would be easy to implement and run as sort of a counter set.

6. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I believe that set will work with Kmart enough to be effective. When the handoff is made, it puts Kevin in the perfect position to draw a foul if the defense is tight. Kevin likes to draw side contact giving him a better chance to make the shot after the foul. In that particular set the defender will always be trailing and with Kevin ability to draw fouls, we are looking at alot of and1s. If the defense is loose will be looking at a dunk/layup.

A knockdown SF also comes into play with that set.

7. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Those "posters" you speak of would rather argue in a more debative thread than this.

These are the type of threads I like to see!

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

9. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

What did Kevin Love say?

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He said that McHale was the next Red Auerbach.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

12. AFS

AFS Member

Agreed. Martin would be deadly running a play like that, especially the way he sells fouls.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not a big fan of the flex either.

But what I really hate is running anything other than a Rick Adelman offense when both don't exist:

#1 you don't have a defensive, powerhouse anchor, and
    #2 you don't have a superstar offensive god.

When #1 and #2 both don't exist, you play Rick Adelman's offense or Coach Ks...or Coach Carril's. As much as I love defense and JVG's incredible flex man, players on non-playoff teams will lose interest in a defensive team that gets no highlights. They want an offensive team. And they will likely play harder for one.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't undersell yourself. Martin would be deadly running a play that almost anyone here could design...all you have to do is say to Lowry and Scola...do your pick thing and flare and give kevin the ball when the defense stops you from going all the way for a slam.

k

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

From the article:
    "I’m still not sure if McHale was the right hire for Houston, but after watching the tape, you at least understand what Morey saw in McHale and his offense. It seems to be a natural fit."

Uh ... I don't think so. Morey hired McHale for his charisma, leadership and big-man development, not his Xs and Os.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member