1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Trade Suggestion: Robert Covington To Rockets, Clint Capela To Hawks In Proposed 3-Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Jun 6, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Robert Covington was on verge of being traded to Houston yesterday?

jerryclark, SamFisher and daywalker02 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

On the verge? Thought it happened until I read Suggestions.

Splash in mah head.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Report is flawed.

I think it is either Covington or Taurean Prince, and Atlanta was pretty high on Taurean.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, don't get me wrong, i'd probably like the 10th pick too, but that would probably change depending on what team i'm working for, if the Wolves are about to get young players etc i think they could definitely trade Rob for a lottery pick, but if they want to try to be competitive (which is what i assume although i might vey well be wrong) i'm not sure they'd do that, Covington is the main piece they got from the Butler trade, he's good and has a pretty good contract.

5. mastan

mastan Member

Nonsense... the NBA finals are going on... one cannot trade right now... I think before jun30 or something like that... you can't trade today or yesterday or tomorrow.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Would’ve been better to keep him. Morey lets a lot of talent go or trade away.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

yes you can.

he was also being facetious clearly.

8. mastan

mastan Member

If that is the case then I'm wrong.. but is there any link that can provide more details?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets Receive: F Robert Covington, F Taurean Prince, C Alex Len, 2020 second-round pick (via Timberwolves)

Hawks Receive: C Clint Capela

Timberwolves Receive: 2019 No. 10 overall pick (via Hawks), C Miles Plumlee

I know Bleacher Report was just spitballing. But the trade make sense for the Rockets for sure. And I have LONG thought that Atlanta was a good Capela destination. Covington and Prince are obvious good additions that fill voids. Low key I like the inclusion of Alex Len as a 5-out Center.

If the Wolves are looking for liquidity under Rosas, I could see them wanting to get the 10th pick. Especially if they feel like Okogee at a cheaper price can play Covington's role.

Hawks want to move Prince because he does not fit their timeline and expected RFA price. They have picks to burn.

I would jump at the chance for this trade. Not sure the Rockets could find a better one to suit their needs

ROXTXIA, joshuaao and BaselineFade like this.
  10. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

How's his right knee? He had surgery in April 2017 on his knee, and missed the last month of the season. Last season, he missed all of January thru April, (playing only 22 games), and ultimately had to have surgery again on the same knee in April 2019 after his 'bone bruise' didn't heal, and required 'debridement' surgery. I like Covington a lot, but I wouldn't want damaged goods back in a trade trade for Capela if his issue has or will become chronic.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

104. What is the trade deadline?
    The trade deadline is the point during the season after which trades are prohibited. It is defined as 3:00 PM Eastern Time on the 17th Thursday of the season. The prohibition on trades lasts until the day following the team's final game of the season (see question number 101).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

And to think we had him with the chance to sign him to a 3/4 year minimum deal, and we cut him to sign Tariq Black :oops: this is probably the worst move Daryl has ever done.

TEXNIFICENT and HP3 like this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey has to be the headliner after every golden state game. And since when did sf 6'8 Covington become a center? GTFOH

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

This trade would be a steal for us, no doubt, especially if we would be able to replace Clint with a similar player. Personally i'd actually like to get another 2nd rounder instead of Len since we have Hartenstein....although that would give a 5M expiring contract to move.

Deuce likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets could swing that *Covington/Prince* deal and then have DeAndre Jordan take the T-MLE, House resign for 4yr/8M, Green another vet min deal, their roster could look like this

PG: Paul / Chiozza
    SG: Harden / Gordon / Frazier
    SF: Covington / Prince / Green
    PF: Tucker / House / Clark
    C: Jordan / Len / Nene / Hartenstein

That gives you 5 starters and 3 playoff bench rotation guys in Gordon/Prince/Len. Maybe House gets you to 9.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The fact that they talked about Taurean Prince but forgot to include him in their trade proposal suggests that it is not to be taken seriously.

Our CF breh corrected it.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If such a trade were there for the taking, the Rockets would have to jump like a bum on a baloney sandwich.

But (and, yes, we're just spit-balling) the Hawks get Capela and give up the #10, Plumlee, Len, Prince? That's why we'd have to jump. Seems we'd have to give up more.

18. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

trash deal

tc0330 likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hawks have no use for Len if they got Capela. Collins and Spellman could also play C. They could also resign Dedmon. Plumlee is a cap negative. The meat of the deal is #10 and Prince. And the Hawks were trying to move Prince so they don't have to pay him as a RFA after next season. So really, for Capela he is 17/13 on a team friendly deal. And likely to be 17/13 with the Hawks with Trae Young at PG.

I think the *bigger* question is would the Wolves give up Covington for #10? We don't know, because we don't know where Rosas sees the trajectory of this team and how it looks at liquidity.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Do you really think that Covington at age 29, coming off of multiple surgeries and a year where played less than 40 games being paid $12,000,000.00 is worth the 10th pick? A cost controlled asset that still has "potential."