1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA League Pass Broadband Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MarioElie17, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Fantasma Negro

I mainly watch on tv, I didn't even know they did that. That might be a question for customer service

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Yes, on the Broadband platform it has always been this way. League Pass Broadband is not for local fans in their home market.

The archiving process happens immediately and is available with 15-30 minutes.

MiracleShot likes this.
  3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Double post edit new forum fail space filler-

My team pass auto renew kicked in this week.

#23 across110thstreet, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, the archive process starts immediately. But this is also one of their biggest flaws. If you are watching, but behind live, the game will cut off on you saying "Archiving" then you have to sit there and wait to finish, and find your spot all over again. That really annoys me. It also seems like it takes longer than 15-30mins to complete sometimes. I don't know what the technical issues are. It's like they are re-rendering, maybe stripping out commercials and moving to other servers. It shouldn't take that long and it should not knock out people still watching the live feed (but who are just behind "Live")

Anyhoot, since it annoys me so much, I'd recommend not paying right now, and using their Free Week at the start of the season to try it out. If you are always 1-3 hrs late (as you say) it will probably be fine.

MiracleShot likes this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

So te only way to view games in Houston is through a cable subscription? Or finding a free stream online lol...I canned my Comcast cable. Trying to charge me 160 a month for basic cable/root sports.

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

There's got to be an alternative to league pass.

pippendagimp likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

going back 2 decades now, league pass has one of the more atrocious customer service desks around. wouldn't be surprised if they have inmates in some banana republic responding back on queries.

8. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

So I'm outside the US and this is the first year I subscribed to NBA international League Pass. Any other members have this service? So far I can watch on PC and phone but I can't watch on Roku or Fire TV NBA apps. I can log in through Kodi and watch archived games but can't watch live games. Any one have any experience with international League Pass?

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ These are issues unique to this season, apparently. Folks have been complaining so it should be fixed by the time the season starts.

10. WestendMassive

ILP works really well through Apple TV, or use the NBA app on your phone and pair it with a ChromeCast

BAHAMIANFAN likes this.
  11. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Are you actually international though? I was thinking of doing that using the VPN from Canada but was wondering if it would some how get blocked or flagged since my billing is from houston.

12. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestion. As of right now, I can't log on to NBA app on Apple TV. Not sure if it's because the season hasn't started yet. Quick Google search showed this might be the case. Otherwise, I'll just get a ChromeCast. But this will probably be the last year I'll do ILP. Too much hassle about how it works and on what devices. Just want to come home from work and watch in front of the TV.

13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I have the international league pass.
    I'm in Australia and was using a VPN on my XBox to access American apps (like Netflix), but this gave me issues with League Pass. I contacted their support (and agree with the other poster how terrible their support is) but eventually was told the issues were to do with the VPN (which of course I did not mention beforehand). So yeah VPN may be an issue as they claimed they can pick that up.

But in response to others re international, I watch through my Surface pro, laptop, smartphone and XBox. (Usually just connect my laptop to my TV) Only issue I have with XBox now is NBA LIVE TV only displays what is currently on, whereas all other devices I can watch previous shows/content.

14. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Best way is to buy league pass for your tv and watch it there. The broadband version kind of works most of the time but is honestly pretty unbearable.

15. jamesdelia

jamesdelia Member

yeah i have international league pass aswell, works well on my laptop and on apple tv. just it stops and buffers alot through apple tv

16. Amir

Amir Member

How "live" is NBA league pass? What is the approximate delay? I could not find this information on their website.

17. shastarocket

International LP has the worst delay (90s) and LP through Direct TV has the least delay (1-3s).

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And NBALP Broadband is more delayed than NBALP TV.

btw: NBALP TV is often ahead of ESPN, TNT, ABC. (Maybe they use a longer cuss delay?) But rarely ahead of people watching Root Sports in Houston -- but close enough for chatting.

and fwiw: I have found that NBALP Broadband is often fast enough to not ruin chatting in the Game Chat...that is, it's in synch enough. But it can be a good 15 seconds behind, sometimes (if not 30). If so, I stop refreshing chat until timeouts.

19. shastarocket

There's the conundrum. International offers the widest coverage but the worst delay and LP TV offers the least delay but requires a cable/satellite subscription + blackouts.

There's no perfect option...not anymore (rip ballstreams)

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I am a Rockets fan living in Austin and have had NBA League Pass for many years now(viewing on iOS devices or Apple TV) and have cut the chord on cable about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't know about all this buggy talk - I have only had one technical problem in probably the last 6 or 7 years I have subscribed now which was resolved in a day or two(which was frustrating because I wanted to watch the game the same day, but like I said - only happened once). I mostly watch games after they have aired or after they have started and it's been pretty much as advertised. 3 hour delay on nationally televised games, 3 day delay on local games(which for Austin is Spurs games) - all in all not too bad. The streaming was occasionally laggy 3+ years back but when they switched to HD cameras, they seem to have also made a bandwith upgrade because I haven't problems since(in fairness I switched to a high bandwith ISP plan too).

My only complaints so far:
    - the app is bare bones and hard to navigate at times. For instance when I want to watch game #34 in the Rockets season, I have to go back day by day through the entire NBA schedule to find the day that game fell upon to watch it rather than going through a list of all of Houston's games and scrolling back through the team's season schedule. You can see a team's scheduled games, results, and stat lines but for some reason you can't watch through that view.
    - watching during the playoffs sucks because your caught in the 3hr blackout rule. As a result I normally see the playoff highlights before I watch the game. Same goes for Nationally televised games although these rarely carry the weight of playoff games.
    - Catching local teams vs the Rockets sucks(in my case the Spurs/Rockets games). Watching it 3 days later isn't that big of a deal but ever year there is at least one important late season clash between those two teams that I would LOVE to catch in real time.
    - early on I had lots of problems connecting League Pass through DirectTV to be able to access League Pass Broadband. None of the tools in place to connect the two services seemed to work resulting in a few support calls. Been years since I had this problem though and I have since signed up with just League Pass Broadband which just seems to work.
    - used to travel for work so when I got back to my hotel in the San Fran area at 10pm and wanted to catch the Warriors/Portland game that was 3 hours earlier, I was blacked out because my internet connection was now considering it a local game. Happened rarely but annoying if you were a guy traveling to several cities a week like me trying to keep your sanity through Rockets games(oh the irony).

...a few things I like:
    - condensed versions of games is helpful for the non exciting regular season tilts where you don't want to invest 3+ hours in watching but you want to see the basic game flow. Those are normally 30-45 minute recaps of most major plays in the game.
    - League Pass used to show the broadcast's commercials which were amusing to see what commercials were playing in Indiana for instance but have since cut to league leader charts and showing the in arena timeout entertainment. I like that even better because it feels like your there watching people on the kiss cam, spinning plates on a unicycle, the kid shooting contests, etc. Small things I guess....
    - obviously watching all the Rockets games, being able to pause, fast forward, etc.

Hopefully that helps some of the Rockets fans outside of Houston.

pippendagimp likes this.