1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NASCAR News: Jeff Gordon vs. Michael Schumacher

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, I'm not a NASCAR fan by no means, but I have heard of Schumacher. Seeing him face off against the Nascar boys will be a treat...

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/09/03/bc.car.nascar.notebook.ap/index.html

FONTANA, Calif. (AP) -- A race fan's dream matchup: NASCAR's Jeff Gordon vs. Formula One's Michael Schumacher.

Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson will log some frequent flier miles in December. Credit: Autostock

It will happen Dec. 4, with four-time series champion Gordon and seven-time champion Schumacher entered in the 2004 Race of Champions Nations Cup in Paris.

Gordon and Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jimmie Johnson, who combined to win the Nations Cup in 2002 when it was held in the Canary Islands, will take part in the all-star event along with more top drivers from F1 and the World Rally Championship.

They will race on a special figure-eight style dirt-and-paved track inside Stade de France, a 70,000-seat soccer stadium in Paris. The drivers will compete in single-seater formula cars, Ferrari sports cars and World Rally Championship cars.

The opportunity to race against Schumacher excites Gordon.

"The fact that he's going to be there is great," Gordon said. "I had a chance to meet him earlier this year in Barcelona when Jimmie and I went to the F1 race there. He asked me when I was going to come to F1 and I said as soon as he retired.

"Michael brings a lot of interest to the event. This is definitely an opportunity to go over there and have some fun in a car that's different. The fact that he's over there and I get to go head-to-head against him is going to be awesome, win or lose. I would love to beat him, obviously, but I'm just excited to get to race him."

Gordon and Johnson will attend the NASCAR awards banquet in New York on Dec. 3, then fly all night on a private plane to arrive in Paris in time to race Saturday.

"We'll have to get all the sleep we can on the plane because we're going to have to go straight to the track when we arrive," Gordon said.

2. Christopher

Christopher Member

Forgive me, but a seven time Formula One World Champion vs a NASCAR driver in some exhibition race does nothing for me. Especially when one driver is the best in the world and the other is just very good at going in circles. :D

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I really really hope you're not serious. Look up Jeff Gordon's road course record.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

IS there a Formula1 race in the U.S. yet? I always used to go up to Montreal for the race there. It's a good time.

5. Preston27

There's an annual one in Indy now.

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

Oh....he turns left and right....he must be good!

7. Preston27

I'm not saying he's better than Schumacher, but he has gotten offers from F1 teams.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Alot of diversity in NASCAR.

It's either a southern boy from South of the Mason Dixon line, east of the MS river, or

California/Indy boy, but still southern.

You are either one of them, and they don't like you.

9. Christopher

Christopher Member

No. He was offered a Test session in a PR stunt.

The last place F1 teams would be looking for tallent is NASCAR. A whole world of young drivers spending millions to get the chance to race in Formula One....their not going to give a drive to some NASCAR driver!

10. Preston27

[​IMG]

Also, a reason for a team signing Gordon on would be his star status in America, a market that doesn't have that many F1 fans.

11. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

There, he said it himself. F1 wants a US-based driver for marketing purposes. We really have no idea how good Jeff Gordon might have been. He clearly thinks it would be too tough for him to switch to now.

12. Preston27

Does anyone know what type of cars this event will use?

13. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

its more diverse in F1 cause they race in Europe and people see it as more upscale, and they got some hot chicks while NASCAR is seen as a redneck , good ole boy league.

14. Preston27

There's plenty of "hot chicks" at NASCAR events. F1 is very upscale compared to NASCAR, and much more technologically advanced. Jeff Gordon would really popularize F1 in America, which is why I think he could get a ride if he wanted one.

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

NASCAR is so different from F1 its not even worth comparing them.

Forget F1....I'd like to see Nascar driver try to drive one of these around a track:

[​IMG]

16. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

It's in the first post:

17. Preston27

Sorry about that. Any idea if it's 3 races or just 1 involving the 3 types of cars?

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

GREAT I've been having an ongoing debate with my uncle on just this very subject.... makes me wonder when they'll stop using the mind probe on me

on another note, I've been granted usage of a satellite that can scratch your ass from outerspace.
    I got to move up to the third row and annexed a pool