1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My CGC Comic book unboxing video

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by got em COACH, Jul 20, 2019.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Getting ready to make another couple of purchases in the next day or so and I have a couple of questions for you or any other grading expert...

1. CGC 9.8s are the best, but I understand that not all 9.8s are considered equal. For example, certain production errors aren't deducted from the grade. So a staple that's 1/16" to 1/8" from the bind can still be graded a 9.8. However, these copies are considered a lot less desirable than a 9.8 with the staple right on the bind, right?

2. I'm looking at two of the same comic that had a low print run. One had a signature and the other doesn't. Both graded CGC 9.8, but labels are different because of the one with the sig. So is there any reason why the one with the signature would ever be not as valued as the one without? I mean, the one with the cover artist signature should always be more than a clean copy?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

These depend more on the person who's buying it and the rarity. In most cases, people just want a 9.8 (assuming the same type of label). There are other variations on that that would affect it more. For example a 9.8 with a pedigree label is usually more desirable than a regular 9.8. You can also have something like a CGC green label that's a 9.6 that won't be as desirable as a universal/blue label 9.6 of the same comic. Also you have a situation where a 9.8 CGC > 9.8 CBCS >>>>>> 9.8 PGX in value (usually). I'd also rather have a CGC 7.5 blue label/universal than a CGC 7.5 purple/restored label.

It usually depends on the purchaser, but in most cases of a valuable or semi-valuable comic, the signature comic will be worth more. To what extent depends on the comic and who did the signing. Also if it was a witnessed/verified signing makes a difference (a modern CGC label will tell you). Some people don't want signatures jacking up the cover art, but in most cases, the signature should make it worth more.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Understood with the labels. I've just been sticking to 9.8 universal blue. Mostly interested in very early 90s, 25 to 30 year old comics, so not old enough for pedigree (not to say that I haven't enjoyed the older comic vids posted in this thread because I have). Good to hear that most are ok with 9.8 blue despite production issues.

Thanks for the answer to the sig question. Yellow label is nice with sigs from Jim Shooter and Bob Layton, but they're pretty distracting/jarring when taking in the cover. Wish it wasn't a matter of preference.

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

So I have a comic book story. My aunt recently passed away and I helped my dad clean out her closet. I found an old comic book that was in terrible condition. The cover was falling off anod the pages were frayed. For the hell of it I decided to take it home instead of tossin g it in the trash. I know nothing about comic books, it was never really my thing. I looked it up and I'm glad I did. It was a very rare comic, the very first Iron Man appearance in tales of suspense. Sold it on ebay for 1,800.00 after almost throwing it away. That comic sells for thousands of dollars.

Xerobull likes this.