1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey epic blunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caprah, Sep 20, 2020.

1. mightybosstone

I think OP is missing a pretty major factor here—Les was finally going to let Morey rebuild. That's why he was less inclined to offer Dragic a major contract, was so quick to amnesty Scola and overpaid on those poison pill contracts to Lin and Asik. Then the Harden trade happened near the end of the offseason, and rebuilding was out the window.

I firmly believe if Morey knew he was going to trade for Harden a few months later, he wouldn't have let Dragic go and more than likely wouldn't have used the amnesty on Scola. I don't think Lin would have been a Rocket either. It was all about the timing.

lilbird20, Easy, Ramo$e and 1 other person like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He let Murray spend as long as Murray didn't go into tax status with a chump roster and that they didn't land in the lotto. You can't claim you're fully rebuilding if you can't touch a lotto pick that matters.

That 1st round streak of mediocrity is on Les as much as it was for those gimpy "one injury away from a **** playoff rotation" teams.

TWS1986, Easy, Ramo$e and 1 other person like this.
  3. csc177

csc177 Member

What’s really frustrating is that Dwight Howard will get a ring before Harden. That really pisses me off.

Ramo$e and clos4life like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hard to believe at one point we had a chance recently to have Harden, Paul, Howard and Anthony on our team at the same time. We would have won a championship by now.

Ramo$e likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't know how the Rockets could have afforded them all.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Paul and Hardhead were the only 2 major contracts. A season or 2 ago both Howard and Melo were looking for cheap contracts.

Ramo$e likes this.
  7. riko

riko Member

Dwight is leading a team to a championship ?

saleem likes this.
  8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Contributing more than Tucker has to offer, just missing the 3 ball from his arsenal.

csc177 likes this.
  9. riko

riko Member

What’s that have to do with leading a team. Dwight is nothing more then a role player riding LeBron and Davis coattail . Getting a ring while being a role play player is nothing special

10. mightybosstone

Neither guy would have fit well on this team with D'Antoni coaching. We saw how Melo worked out already. And Howard didn't want to play in the pick and roll when he was here, and wasn't especially good at switching on smaller players. That's not even taking into account how horribly Paul and Howard would have fit together personality-wise. Harden and Paul performed better without those two than they would have performed with them.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

To err is human, but to chocolate, vanilla OR butterscotch is folly when tapioca is wise.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Not now, but he has solo with Orlando. Further than any player we have now.

I'm not caring about the leading part that's nonsense. That's the point you were making, I could care less. I just though you should know while trying to talk down on Howard. At this point in their careers Howard is doing more for his team just by being in the game rebounding and blocking shots than Tucker is being solid in the post and missing corner 3's. Just a little perspective for you.

13. MrJason

MrJason Member

I think Dragic wanted a Player Option for the last year of his contract. Morey doesn't do that for anyone.

14. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

Didn’t every team pass on Jokic too? It’s easy playing Monday morning quarterback.

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

So its Hardens fault or role players he surrounded with?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Which decision will Morey regret the most?

Which of these decisions will Morey regret most?
    De'Anthony Melton trade | 4 vote(s) | 10.5%
    Giving CP3's mega contract | 34 vote(s) | 89.5%

Really, they paid Ryan Anderson 80 million dollars. And then they traded him for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss. And then they traded Knight & Chriss for Iman Shumpert. And then Shumpert walked.
    And they paid Chris Paul 160 million. And after a year, traded him with four picks to get rid of him.

Goran Dragic 8 years ago? Meh, whatever.

kjayp, Easy and Nook like this.
  17. SemisolidSnake

Les demanded Lin back after Linsanity. For much less defensible reasons than Tilman demanding Westbrook. Morey had no choice. Lin's contract was a poison pill at the very beginning of the Harden era. I've oftened wondered how much that set the team back towards building a championship team. Harden had to play second fiddle to Lin on the court in his first year in Houston. By the time Lin was gone, Morey was jumping through hoops just trying to dump him on somebody. Les also pushed/forced D'Antoni as coach, iirc, over Morey's desires.

Morey's had a lot of freedom taken away from him by BOTH his owners. He's also injected his own problems into the equation (Howard, Anderson, others.) But Lin wasn't his problem, and one wonders what the Rockets would look like if Morey was only making his own mistakes and not his owners' as well.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, Lowry was a little pudgy and oft injured. Rockets wanted him to lose weight. He fought against the idea.

Since being traded Lowry has gone through stretches of losing weight. An indication that the Rockets were on the right track.

Yes, I do recall Lowry stating he could have acted more mature while being a Rocket.

kjayp likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering he was not allowed to leave the bench against the Rockets after game 1 (until a 4 minute cameo in garbage time in game 5) how does this effect the "just being in the game" metric?

Maybe you need to expand it:

"Dwight helped out by just being locked in the utility closet during Laker wins, bidding for Val Kilmers batman cowl on eBay and looking at purple Ducati motorcycles to buy"

20. riko

riko Member

No I was pointing out to the poster who was taking a pot shot at. Harden by stating that Dwight will get a ring before Harden.Harden if he wanted to go play with LeBron and David he would win 5 rings. It’s nothing special. Unlike Dwigh who is a situational role player Harden will actually play a large role to

#80 riko, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Ramo$e likes this.