1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey epic blunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caprah, Sep 20, 2020.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ryno married Blake Griffin's ex and his game crashed into oblivion which is pretty damn odd for someone who was so good and not even 30 yet. He made $100m in his career though so I guess he's going to be okay. o_O

raining threes likes this.
  2. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Well the calculations at the time seemed correct....
    Morley’s “new math” was still in its early stages...

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I look forward to testing that theory.

treyk3 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I hope to as well. I would be set for probably life to be honest. I was only 5/6 for the first two and I honestly remember the Barkley seasons much more. I hate to lose, but honestly I haven't realistically expected a championship going into a single year. Too many variables and I can't remember a time where the Rockets were even the best team on paper maybe not even a top three team on paper going into a season (17/18 was close but I'd give the edge to the Warriors, Thunder (what a disaster that team was) and Cavs.). Typically those teams win a championship.

Morey is pretty reliant on making in season tweaks to improve odds, which usually are good enough to make the best teams better but chemistry cannot be under estimated.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marketing.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Morey need only perfect the recipe once. I hope for continued growth in his decision making, not just jamming the same old ideology down our throats and hoping for new results. At some point he needs to realize that during the playoffs, teams take away your best weapon and the 3 pointer at volume just doesn't exist if the other team doesn't want it to. Game one vs the Lakers was proof of what we can be. Those drives by everyone into the lane for a floater was good offense. I don't care if it doesn't fit the system, have a flexible system or it'll be so brittle it will break every year. Take what they give you and smile. That's playoff basketball.

I know you probably don't remember it, but that was what Hakeem did to Shaq.. took what Shaq gave and smiled. It worked. It will always work. BUT.. you have to have a ton in your arsenal to make that work. Two trick ponies who study only the regular season stats fall in a playoff trap. We need to get Harden some plays that will surprise the defense even during the playoffs. Seeing as everyone in the NBA studies everyone else, that means we have to have enough plays with variations that guessing/playing the probabilities doesn't work very frequently.

8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Les was the Owner who signs the check. Morey just negotiated them. Even if Morey wanted to he couldn't offer more than Les was willing to pay.

Easy to be an Allstar in the East.

Hindsight is 20/20 just like we should have drafted Leonard. That should be the knock on Morey, all that other dumb ass **** ya'll come up with to trying to drag his name in the mud is sooooo remedial. Give it up. You bad mouthing this man is not going to make him be a less effective GM. Let alone change the perception of him like he doesn't know what he's doing. That was so 2012 it doesn't even matter now. The roster turn over has been almost 95%.

I'll end this nonsense here. Harden>Dragic>Lin

It doesn't matter if Dragic is a Allstar now.....HE IS NO JAMES HARDEN. Getting just a allstar guard was not the solution. We needed a superstar to BUILD around. Not a really decent guard to take up Hardens minutes to try and sale tickets. We had that all through 2000-2010. Where have you been? From Steve Francis to Kevin Martin enough is enough.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not necessarily his call

Rocket River

10. riko

riko Member

This has been discussed a billion different times . It was Les who wanted Lin as opposed to McHale and Morey who wanted Goran back and in hindsight boy they were right.

It hurts watching Goran being this productive in the Heats uniform

#30 riko, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  11. riko

riko Member

Yeah let’s tank for 8 years so we get a player who might be half good as harden is now in about 8 years? Great logic. Yeah let’s tank wow.

You might have a spare 8 to 10 years to get watch this team to be a 30 win a season hot mess but I dont

Teams that start tanking usually have a superstar in the 35 age region that has hit he brick wall and has completely lost it. Harden is smack bang in his prime with a good 5 years left in him.

#31 riko, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We also traded away Lowry on a cheap. Contract that same off season

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Another thing I was MAJORLY against - just give him the player option in that last year.

DD

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

(Also hated Kyle Lowry and would have never traded Aaron Brooks for Goran in the first place like a mutha f’ing genius)

Keyboard couch warriors!

raining threes likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey's M.O.: Never give a guaranteed 4th year to a role player unless his name is Ryan Anderson.

kjayp likes this.
  17. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

We traded Lowry for a 1st round pick that we used to trade for Harden

raining threes and RudyTBag like this.
  18. arubato

arubato Member

We were about to tank that year. Unfortunately, Harden trade happened and tanking never happened.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We wanted Dragic, but weren’t willing to offer that extra last year as a player option. Obviously it looks stupid now but at the time we had not acquired Harden yet and having the flexibility was rather important given we didn’t have an identity yet.

kjayp, RustyHarden and D-rock like this.
  20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Caprah.....Morey never gets blamed for anything on this site. He is the GOAT and you are not allowed to question any move of his. He is apparently being held against his will and being paid 4 million guaranteed a year to just be a figurehead who announces all the transactions Les and Tilman have made for him.

J.R. likes this.