1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMQB] In case anyone needed more evidence that Peter King is a hack...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Nov 19, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/11/19/week-11/2.html

A week ago, the Patriots gave up 31 points and were 10 yards/one inexplicable Ryan Fitzpatrick interception from losing at home to Buffalo. Two games before that, the terrible Jets offense put up 26 and took them to overtime. It took great offensive performances for New England to survive sub-.500 teams at home.

If the Texans have a game like that (yesterday) and put up 43 to win, it shows flaws and he bumps them down. When the Patriots have a game like that (twice in prior three), it apparently shows their greatness and that "no one can stop them". Double standard, much?

But this is even better...

Uh, what? First off, the stat isn't even true. Here's a breakdown of HOU-TEN matchups.

http://www.footballdb.com/teamvsteam.html?tm=13&opp=31

The Texans have won five of their last eight against Tennessee (and one of three Tennessee wins was last season's finale in which Houston played third stringers). So he obviously fails at basic math.

But what's most egregious is this: The numbers he cites, and uses to make a case about Houston's difficulty this season, are based on games including a QB matchup of Steve McNair vs. David Carr. It was a game (in 2005) where Corey Bradford caught a touchdown for the Texans.

Silly me, I thought the Texans should easily win in Tennessee because the Titans suck (4-6, minus-92 point differential, including a 38-14 loss to Houston). In reality, this could be a more difficult game than it appears, based on the ghosts of David Carr, Corey Bradford and a dead Steve McNair, which apparently will haunt Matt Schaub all day. :rolleyes:

This is allegedly one of the top NFL writers, and he gets paid six-or-seven figures to churn out drivel like this every week. Ridiculous.

#1 The Cat, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Exhibit 9842135

3. Classic

Classic Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As soon as they started putting guys like Peter King and Mike Florio on TV, they cared more about being great TV analysts than they did being informative sports writers.

I don't really care too much about in-season rankings... what is currently apparent is that the Broncos/Patriots (the media darlings) are likely going to both be playing in the wild-card round, and both be playing on the road for the remainder of the playoffs.

Nothing else really matters as far as "rankings" go.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

MMQB is actually an enjoyable read though, despite his poor 1-2 power ranking this week. He's actually been a pretty big Texan fan all season.

6. The Cat

It's an enjoyable read because he has access. Top NFL players and executives return his calls or texts. Any one of us could write a similarly-entertaining column if we had his "name" and ability to mine those sorts of connections.

Of course, at one point he was a good writer and developed that reputation. But at some point in the past 10 years or so (maybe it's the television aspect, as Nick said), he's become lazy and resorts to garbage like this. I don't think he's "biased" against the Texans. I just think he's incredibly lazy and uninspired. His memory goes as far as that Sunday, and he resorts to nonsense numbers (10 of last 14, really?) because he doesn't know enough to engage in true football analysis. For someone with as much access as he has, I think it's a shame that his effort is so poor. It'd be great if someone with his level of league connections could actually combine it with a love for the game and legitimate analysis.

7. plates300

plates300 Member

Who cares? Texans just need to take care of their business and everything will resolve itself.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with it. Power Rankings are all about what's going on right now. It's similar to the whole college football poll crap where a loss early somehow means less than a loss late. And PR in the NFL is less than worthless. I bet the Jets gets more run on national news this week than either the Patriots or the Texans.

MMQB is pretty boring to read though. Haven't read it in years.

9. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Hey I have been reading Peter King for several years now and he always gives the Texans his praise. He used to slobber over how great an owner Bob McNair is, how great a player and person Eric Winston was, how JJ Watt is an MVP candidate, and he had us ranked at #1 pretty much the whole season EVEN after we got blown out to GB he still didn't lower us.

If you read the whole editorial he still gives Andre, Matt, Bradie James a lot of credit throughout the article and he qualifies his rankings earlier in the piece too. He is one of the few reporters in the press so don't give him any flack.

10. rezdawg

Yeah I hear you...but when you have to cover every team, its impossible to engage in true football analysis for all 32 teams. There is just not enough time in a day to know everything about every football team. Nobody can do that. Our real knowledge is with the Texans, but if we had to know the same amount of info for just 4 other teams, that would be a daunting task.

For that, I have to be a little lenient in expecting anyone to hammer out perfect details about every team. I do think it's wrong to throw out stats that arent accurate though, like the losing 10 out of 14 games to the Titans...Im not sure what his source is, so he should probably change that source.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Schaub said on the radio this morning that the Texans players use things like these as motivation. So Texans fans should be thanking Mr King for helping out the hometown team

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That's what you have interns/underlings for.

Hell, I'd hire guys to cover each division and feed me info.

13. rezdawg

But then you run into the issue like an intern feeding you info that says the Titans are 10-4 against the Texans in their last 14 games. It's not a full proof method, whether he works alone or with interns.

I feel like its just too vast of a topic to be able to keep up...nobody in his position could do a perfect job. I think its just not fair to expect that. Overall, he's pretty knowledgeable about what's taking place. Every now and then, he'll swing and miss, but given all the other writers out there, he's not doing a bad job.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was better before he was concerned with how he looked on TV (leading to his weight loss, and him to stop writing about food in his columns).

You don't have to have an intimate knowledge of every team to know that any team's "all-time" stats against the Texans means nothing. They've only been "elite" the last two years.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Meh. I agree with your reasoning here Cat since it's pretty airtight, but King starts off with this little caveat:

That, to me, earns him a bit of a free pass. I agree that he could have researched a little (or a lot) more in terms of his stats, but the main crux of his point is still valid. Right now, between Houston, New England, Denver, and Baltimore, you really can't go wrong by backing one team over another for AFC supremacy. New England's offense has been on an absolute tear, and after that showing yesterday, you have to admit that there are some dents in the Texan Defense's armor now. Is it something that can be fixed? Absolutely. But for Week 11 in the NFL, I don't really have a problem with King putting the Pats on top.

16. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

Given the choice of hyping an east coast team or a team from the south, the New Yorks and Bostons get the nod every time.
    All the Texans have to do is win. You can't ignore the record.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm sure you can manage when it's your ONLY job.... we have a job (some times two), school, families, and other personal distractions yet still have time to know a little more than these guys about ALL 32 NFL teams. Especially the fantasy football junkies.

If I had his job I'd be living it cause that's all we talk about in the office anyway.

18. Buck Turgidson

He is just an awful, terrible writer. His style, grammar, jargon...are all just horrific.

I can't make it through a whole column of his, but the weekly dissection and mockery of his columns on kissingsuzykolber is always great.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Road trip from hell? What? NE is a good team and they might even be favored at home, but Detroit and TEN are both below .500.

20. The Cat

This. One of my biggest beefs with King is his arrogance. Instead of approaching things with an open mind and trying to learn, you can tell he has an agenda going in, facts-be-damned, and tries to twist things as best he can (bizarre 10-4 stat) to fit that pre-established bias.