1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mercedes] Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I bought a 2013 E350 in November of 2012 so the 4 year manufacturer warranty will expire in nine months. The dealership currently is giving $500 off the MBUSA warranty for the month of February. So for an additional 3 years and 25,000 miles I can get the warranty for $2,600 (interest and tax free). I currently have 28,000 miles on the car. I don't drive that much so I am not worried about mileage, more worried about the years. I plan to keep the car for 7-8 years.

Should I buy the warranty, does anyone know if my model is that reliable? I was thinking about just keeping that money for maintenance and oil changes but since there is $500 I may end up buying it.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Is it from a Mercedes dealership or someone like Momentum?

If either, YES. Especially if you're going to keep the car another 7-8 years. I paid around $3200 for my 5 year 100,000 mile extended warranty through Momentum. All it takes is one minor break in the engine and the $2600 will be well worth the investment as these cars are NOT cheap to get parts for or work on. I about flipped when I found out my break job (done when I still received free repairs) was $1700, just for pads and rotors.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Pads and rotors were covered by your warranty? Aren't those considered wear items?

4. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

It is through Mercedes. And I only plan on keeping it 4-5 more years, so 7-8 total (not additional).

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

As a Mercedes owner, YES GET THE WARRANTY

6. LonghornFan

Trust me, get the warranty even if just for 3 more years. A simple hose on a German or British vehicle can cost over a grand with labor.

Through my 3 year certified warranty (bought the car 6 months old with 5k miles, I NEVER buy new, no stupid) plan that included all oil changes, brake jobs, busted speakers from rocking my body, etc. were all covered. Tomorrow is the dreaded $500 oil change. Friggin' car doesn't have a drain plug so I have to take it to their shop. Not a rip off at all.

#6 LonghornFan, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This and more of this.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

German cars will take you to the bank man. Get the warranty and don't think twice.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

$500 oil change?

What do they put in there? Liquid Gold?

10. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Get the warranty if you plan on keeping the car. The reason Mercs depreciate like a rock is two-fold: 1) high initial price, 2) high maintenance cost.

You might also want to run the numbers on trading it in, even though you want to keep it. The added depreciation and anticipated service needs may change your mind.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Trade it in; get a CLA. I hear they're great.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This...

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hitler never bought the extended warranties.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

if the warranty is from MBUSA and honored at any dealerships, then yes get it.

if it's dealership based or third party..i am not sure.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So I got this for my wife's car and I highly recommend it. I even got my in-laws to buy it on their certified car as well as the tire and wheel warranty.

There is a guy I found in Elmbrook at a Mercedes dealership that does $500 over the invoice of the warranty. I saved around 1K compared to the quote I got on her car.

It's from the actual Mercedes dealership and he does a ton of them for people through the net so it's gravy for him and he is known on the forums. All they need is your VIN and information and you are good to go.

His name is Jamie Ruis email is jruis@mbofelmbrook.com. Just tell him you got the information off a forum and were passed the information to work with you or Jeffery Santos.

For comparison, I was quoted $3161 for the 7 YR /75K warranty and I got the same one from the other dealership for $2000. So it's a big savings. I even went back to my dealership here and they tried to tell me it's not a mercedes one and they are doing it below invoice and they are lying. That's just BS, I have taken my car in for warranty a ton of times, It's the real Mercedes one and all.

Sometimes you can get the quote and talk to your dealership and see if they match it. We did that with MB or Sugarland, but if they don't just do it over the phone with these guys and don't look back.

1 person likes this.
  16. LonghornFan

Stacks back!!!

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

3 more years of warranty for ~850 a year. I say do it.

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I have a 2010 E350 that is out of warranty. So far, so good *knock on wood*

I have had little issues with it or my '14 E550 Coupe. Small little things, that I made sure to get handled while under warranty. I'm sure I will cry if something goes wrong though. I had repairs done under insurance, and saw the costs of parts, and it was crazy.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hope you get ride of it after the 3 years. My dad just had to pay $6k for a transmission repair on his 08 GL450

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Something about the 10-11 E-coupes look sexy to me. Love that styling. Sometimes I kind of want one.

The trade-in idea for the CLA is solid. CLA's have 3 drain plugs so you get a $25 credit each oil change.