1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meat eaters vs plant eaters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I have been heckled for being a meat-eater. Some say that we (meat-eaters) condone animal cruelty by simply being a meat-eater. And, of course, no way in hell do I agree with that.

What are yalls thoughts or arguments for being a meat-eater or vegetarian? What are the benefits? Is it really a healthier lifestyle? From what I know, vegetarians lack the general consumption of iron, b12, calcium and other vital nutrients from simply not eating meat. So, who has most effective and stronger argument? A meat-eater or a plant eater?

I came across this documentary.http://www.earthlings.com/ It's pretty ground-breaking and very sad. The thoughts of turning into a vegan has crossed my mind, but I dont know if I can abandon chicken from my diet :( Anyways, check out the documentary if you havent. It might just make you stop BBQ'n. :eek:

Just realized this thread might have been more appropriate in the D&D forum. If so, please move.

#1 BrieflySpeaking, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. chonox

chonox Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

**** I knew that was going to bad when I watched the trailer but I still watched it. I think the worst part was seeing one animal being skinned alive. Absolutely horrible.

I know I can't go totally vegetarian, but I decided a few weeks ago that I am cutting pig out of my diet. As stupid as it sounds after I decided that I bought ham at the store and didn't realize it was pig until I got home. I decided to start with pig because they are just too intelligent. I can't imagine eating dogs, so there is no reason why I should eat a pig. I would like to cut all red meat out of my diet too. I can't see myself ever not eating fish and chicken, but you never know.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I think you're actually making an important distinction in my mind. There is a large difference in terms of intellect between a pig and a chicken. A chicken is a very instinctive animal that actually engages in minimal independent thought. While they express emotion verbally (which resonates with us) they aren't really sentient in the way a pig is. I find that to be a fair brightline between say not eating pork and eating chicken. I dont find a large difference intellectually between a chicken and an ant (or any bug). We routinely kill bugs with little thought because we are so disconnected from them. They dont have blood, they are tiny, they don't emit any sounds that indicate pain, etc.. Contrast that with a chicken which intellectually speaking really isn't all that different yet we grimace at the idea of watching a chicken die.

Now sentience isn't a really clear standard. There are creatures with varying degrees of sentience so you cant really say I can eat any animal up to a certain point but it provides a general criteria. Nor do I endorse the way chickens are produced and slaughtered. It's actually pretty disgusting in my mind and that's probably the largest reason why I'm a vegetarian. But I have no problem ethically with eating chickens or salmon. I just wish our agricultural practices were less cruel and mechanical.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The things to guilt people about are endless.

"You SHOULDN'T Be Doing That" can go on for eternity.

6. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

I'll eat whatever as long as its delicious

7. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Fish is practically a vegetable

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you watch the trailer?

9. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

what about your leather jacket?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm anti plant cruelty. I don't even step on grass nor mow my lawn because I can't bare the thought of stepping on other living beings.

I also cry every Fall when I see all the leaves dry up and fall from the trees. I don't even use wooden objects because they're made out of living trees.

1 person likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have read some very interesting studies on this very topic...

12. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

But animals eat animals...would eating meat still be wrong if I hunted and killed my own cow? I heard wild boar I delicious btw...

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Without additional supplements a moderate meat eater would probably be the healthiest.

Pig shouldn't be that hard to cut out of your diet though. I've unintentionally gone a month or more without eating it at times.

14. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Lots of problems with the meat industry in general, that said I just am not a big fan of most of the vegetarian and vegan meals I have tried. One of my close friends is vegan, and I have come to dread hearing him say "I want you to try something!"....Followed by "Isn't that the best thing you have ever eaten? You can't tell me you miss the meat in something that wonderful!"

Followed by serving me something between "Wow, this is supposed to be food?" and "Meh."

15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Watched that documentary earlier in the year. Think it played a part in me trying out (and staying with) a vegetarian diet, though don't think it was the deciding factor. I've seen things like it before, and didn't really feel the need to switch diets.

Think what made me decide to try it out was some of the other advantages of giving up meat (nutrition/safety, environmental/economical concerns, etc.). The ethical arguments can work for some, but it seems a bit too emotional and easy to disregard.

I take a multivitamin and still eat/drink plenty of things to get any nutrients I miss from not eating meat (I probably could even drop the vitamin, but doctor recommended I keep it just to be safe). Not quite the same I admit, but some of the "fake meats" out there aren't too bad (probably better alternatives than what was out there 30 years ago). I was a bit surprised at how easily I adjusted to a vegetarian diet. Veganism still seems too extreme for me, though maybe I could get by somehow (need a good cheese replacement, then maybe we can talk).

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

THIS MADE MY DAY!! :) :) :)

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I know how you feel. :(

I was a vegan for like 3 or 4 months but I gave in to cheese. It's always cheese. Damn. (believe me, there are no good cheese analogs)

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Honestly though, I think it's great if people choose to go 100% veggie. It's the ones that try to convert you and talk down to you for being a carnivore that gets to me.

I had an ex who was a veggie, for animal rights reasons. She eats seafood though, which I think is the same thing as eating beef if it's for animal rights reasons. She's always giving me lectures about this animal cruelty bs and how I should be a veggie too. Needless to say we didn't last very long. Honestly I can look at those animal cruelty pictures all day while eating a sirloin with no problem.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Just eat responsibly.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I make it a point to eat as much bacon as possible.

It gives me great pleasure knowing an intelligent being could also be so delicious.