1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for a dependable home security system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emoreland, Dec 24, 2015.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Im looking for a dependable home security system that I can monitor from my smart phone. I have been looking at several such as SimpliSafe, Armorax, LiveWatch, etc and I am leaning towards SimpliSafe just because the price is right (15.00 a month monitoring) but I wanted to get opinions on what yall are using. I am using ADT at the moment but its expensive and they are a hassle to deal with.

Any recommendations?

2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Don't go with CSG. Our system keeps having trouble with one of the doors since we got it installed and they keep having to come out. They charge for coming out too even though it was poorly installed.....lame.

3. gatsby

gatsby Member

Check out Canary.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've had simplisafe since 2012. It's a solid system. ill have problems of sensors occasionally that are usually battery related. But everything works as advertised and the price of the equipment and monitoring is great.

The one thing many customers might complain about is cameras. People like to tie security and cameras together and they e said they were coming out with cameras for like two years. Right now they're saying early 2016. Of course people could just go with a dropcam.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm also interested.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Call my brother he does this for a living, installs and all. 281-986-7689 his name is Jay.

1 person likes this.
  7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Best buy has great smart home systems now that require no monthly fees. You just pay cost of set up and can add components as necessary.

Video,
    Motion Sensors
    Doors
    Windows

App enabled for remote access

Canary is one, there are a couple others.

And check out their smart lighting too. Some wicked cool things going on for a tech junky.

1 person likes this.
  8. dragician

dragician Member

Smith Thompson

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

10. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

yeah Im using them at the moment, they are too expensive and are outdated.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

CSG is lame, but Central Security (no group) is awesome.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/central-security-houston?utm_source=ishare

I have them and it's awesome. $37.18 with tax per month, no contract, and I can use their smartphone app for everything I need

1 person likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This. $16 a month. I don't need a fancy app.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Today I checked out my brothers home system which has his thermostat, lighting, and cameras all integrated. Pretty nice that they'll get an alert on their phone anytime someone is at the door, and can see a live video of them. I need to find out the company name.

Edit: It's Vivint - http://www.vivint.com/

#13 Harrisment, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Frontpoint looks to be a company offering similar services but more do it yourself options as far as installation. I'll check them out as well. Anyone have experience with these companies?

15. what

what Member

First of all, what you need to do is secure your doors from being kicked in. You don't do that, all the security in the world ain't going to help you. My philosphy is to make it difficult for intruders to get in in the first place.

http://www.asafehome.net/PAGES/Safe-Homes-International-StrikeMaster-II-Pro.html

Also, pair this with some great 1 or 2 deadbolts.
    https://www.doorware.com/specials/help-center/deadbolt-guide.cfm

and if you want to get really secure, buy you some window protection film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96x2tO9Xuxw

1 person likes this.
  16. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Lots of good info, thanks and I have repped some of yall.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

My girlfriend's parents have FrontPoint. They like it, but there's a contract, the equipment can be pricy, and the call center is slow to respond (like 15 minutes after the app alert that the alarm went off)

18. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I don't see how Simplisafe is good unless your house did not include an alarm system when it was built. Most homes are now prewired and have a fully functioning control panel. So you have sensors on all doors and windows at a minimum. SimpliSafe can't use any of those. I see their largest package comes with 6 entry sensors and who knows how much each extra one is. I think our house has 19 windows and 2 doors all wired with sensors.

If you already have a panel and sensors go with Smith Thompson...they also offer mobile monitoring from phone or pc for about $5 extra