1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking back, who would you have rather had—Battier or Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DallasThomas, Jun 23, 2016.

?

Which one was the better use for the #8 pick?

1. Shane Battier

105 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Rudy Gay

75 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Battier. It's hard to imagine him never being a Rocket.

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I dunno. I hear that once you've had Gay, you never go back.

Seriously, though -- if you're picking Gay over Battier, it's because your team sucks and you need the scoring and showmanship. If you're picking Battier, it's because you have the other pieces and you need the guy who does the dirty work and strengthens your team culture and gets you to the next level. I'd much rather be the kind of team that picks Battier.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Battier no question.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you voted for Rudy Gay you probably think a max deal for Harrison Barnes is a good deal for anyone not named Harrison Barnes.

5. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Vintage clutchfans thread

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Should be Battier vs Thabo Sefolosha because they were taking him not Gay, per JVG.

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

I still think the Battier trade was one of the more disappointing moves the rockets made. At the time I thought Rudy Gay would've made the perfect understudy/ heir apparent to TMac. Especially at a time when the Rockets were almost completely devoid of length and athleticism. Instead we got an overrated role player in "win now" mode.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

still shane, such a smart leader, flawed and limited he was but who wasn't?

9. houtown

houtown Member

I honestly do not know why people celebrate or consider this to be a good deal for the team

It was a bad deal for the Rockets then, and is a bad deal for the Rockets at the moment.

Rockets needed offense, but the stubborn Van Gundy and Morey or Dawson will still spin this as being a monumental deal for the franchise, when in reality it was a missed opportunity for the team to form a formidable offensive duo on the court.

10. rockets13champs

Rudy gay so overrated

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's interesting after all these years. Some posters wouldn't forgive Morey for the trade. (I know CD was the GM, but I think Morey himself said that it was his idea. Also, this has been mentioned many times. If the trade didn't work, we would have picked Sefalosha, not Gay. Sefalosha was perceived to be the next Battier--not really on hindsight.)

Gay and Battier are almost exact opposite. Gay loves to chuck, low efficient and not much defense and IQ. Battier doesn't like shooting anything that he's not sure and is great on defense and high IQ.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure he could coexist with McGrady as the 2 on that team

Touches on Offense? Yeah gay....

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

If we can hit the undo button, I'd rather lose a meaningless game and get Roy at Mac-Yao prime time.

14. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

At this point "Gay" :) We already know how Battier turned out. (note he was fine but the team under performed so a more offensive player may have changed things)

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

We would have climaxed farther with a Gay - Batter tag team attack.