1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s listen to Bill Maher: On Paris, religion and race, Maher walks a fascinating and tricky line

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wetboro isn't doing anything like that though. Of all the religions, people from one seem to be.

2. myco

myco Contributing Member

I am no religious scholar, let alone an expert on Islam, but it seems to me that since the majority of Muslims interpret the Islamic texts in a peaceful manner (though not nearly as many as we need), there is a clear possibility for such reform. Perhaps such reform is better aimed toward the next generation of Muslims rather than current fundamentalists since as you say, these fundamentalists are already familiar with the texts and are entrenched in their own interpretations.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

"Leftist bias," HILARIOUS!

Feel free to point out moments of "anger," I see plenty of frustration with the interviewers, but no anger whatsoever.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Reza makes great points. Clearly educated and rational on the subject.

Maher's take is somewhat juvenile. To make such broad generalization is not appropriate.

5. GladiatoRowdy

In addition to a Masters in Theological Studies, his "sociology" dissertation was titled "Global Jihadism as a Transnational Social Movement: A Theoretical Framework."

Not sure where you get your creative writing claim, here is what I found about his teaching over the last decade and a half...

In August 2000, while serving as the Truman Capote Fellow at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, Aslan was a visiting faculty member in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Iowa, becoming the first person to teach Islamic studies full-time in the state.

Aslan was the 2012–13 Wallerstein Distinguished Visiting Professor at the Drew University Center on Religion, Culture & Conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reza_Aslan

6. Bandwagoner

See your own link. Literally the first sentence. <s> Did you even bother to read it? </s>

7. GladiatoRowdy

Did you bother to consider the other things he has taught or are you so hung up in your narrative that you're unable to read and consider all of the information.

8. GladiatoRowdy

Sorry, I meant to highlight your "assistant" claim, he is listed as a full professor both in his wiki page and on the UCR website.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. Bandwagoner

It is interesting how much leeway you are willing to give this liar you seem to know VERY little about. Even putting sociology in quotes. Rewatch the one video of his you have seen and see if you agree with his self proclaimed credentials.

He could have a PhD in chemistry I wouldn't care, but he lied about his actual background and position. Plus he uses it to discredit others.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have yet to see anyone really deal with these Pew data in a way that doesn't seem like the Iraqi Information Minister. The data are troubling, to say the least, as are data about what American's believe about science, and many other data sets. In all those cases, we are worse off if we ignore the information

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It has relatively little impact on my life if a lot of Americans don't believe in science. It has a bigger impact on my life if we are letting millions of people in of which 2/3 think Sharia should rule, which implies that they do not share the values of our country's constitution, which is the highest source of law in our country.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1b0wmE5PCxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maher is completely right. That woman is an idiot.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya, I watched the whole show and she is the epitome of 'bleeding heart liberal' with absolutely no pragmatism or nuance in her rhetoric. I can't discredit her for her good intentions though. She's the type of person that wouldn't judge my mother because she wears a hijab which IS A GOOD THING.

I think people like Bill Maher and Sam Harris know how to walk the fine line between 'bigotry' and actual nuanced criticism.

This notion that all religious doctrine espouses the exact same rhetoric and therefore have the exact same consequences is asinine. I would really love someone here attempt to debate me with that position. However, on the flip side, actual bigots like Pamela Ghellar use fear mongering tactics to discredit all Muslims something that ISIS wants the West to do.

#54 fchowd0311, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think she listened to a single word anyone said

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya, she just repeated herself with "I disagree...All Muslims aren't terrorists!"

NO ONE ON THAT PANEL WAS SAYING THAT LADY!

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I wouldn't judge your mother as a person, because people are born into certain traditions and circumstances and follow them. That alone doesn't make them good or bad people. I am still judging the tradition itself, though. I think it is stupid.

Agreed. I think they totally "get it".

I tend to agree with this as well - while I might agree with some things people like Geller say, I think as a person, they cross that fine line you described.

Some might say that I do, too, but then, those are people like New Yorker, who is almost EXACTLY like that woman in the Maher video - not listening at all. At least that woman didn't scream at everyone else in the debate that they are bigots. But listening to that woman felt like reading a lot of the posts here on the BBS - except that when Maher intellectually dismantled her, she paused for a moment and couldn't really respond.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be interesting to break out those polled by education level, age, and standard of living.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Agree about the Canadian guest being ridiculous, and in general I find Maher more watchable lately, especially because of the guests he has on, but I hate how he has to ruin the atmosphere of discussion by dropping punchlines about celebrities or switching to his standup routine, often at the expense of letting his guests speak.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno
    The region seemed amazingly civil and sophistacated until we found oil there
    and started enforcing regime changes

Rocket River