1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

lastest report from Murphy...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r-fan-since-81, Sep 19, 2001.

1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

on rox............

Houston has a lengthy to-do list going into camp: Sept. 19

By Michael Murphy
    Houston Chronicle

Sept. 19 — CAMP OBJECTIVES
    The Rockets need to achieve several objectives in this year's training camp, not the least of which is to unearth a productive rotation at power forward.

For all of his faults — and there are many — Maurice Taylor was an offensive threat whose scoring ability allowed Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley more room to operate.
    Kenny Thomas and Eddie Griffin are the first two names on the depth chart, but don't be surprised if Rudy Tomjanovich comes up with some offbeat solution, like plugging in Glen Rice there and going with a smaller lineup. Oh, yeah, finding a center would be nice, too.
    Second, the Rockets will have to figure out how to diversify their offense in light of all the zone defenses they're bound to see.
    The Rockets' idea has been to isolate Francis or Mobley and force the defense to make decisions that the Rockets can exploit. But now when the Rockets attempt to run an isolation, opponents will simply step back into a zone, inverting the theory by forcing the Rockets to make the decisions.
    Last, Francis will have to establish himself as the team's undisputed leader. While that may not sound like a big deal, especially with all the other holes the Rockets have to plug, this might actually be the biggest of them all.
    Minus Hakeem Olajuwon, who was never much of a vocal leader but an undeniable presence in the locker room, the Rockets will need Francis to step in and be "the man."

KEY NEWCOMER
    It would appear that Rice, whose role became much larger when Taylor blew out an Achilles' tendon, might be the most important new face on the roster. But much more will depend on how Griffin, the seventh overall pick in the draft who was acquired from New Jersey in a draft-day trade, performs this season.
    The Rockets had originally put the roster together with the notion of slowly bringing along the talented teenager, but all that changed when Taylor went down. Griffin's ability to run the floor and rebound may be the spark the Rockets needed to rev up the transition game.
    The more the Rockets can get the ball out ahead of the defense, the better. And Griffin's shot blocking could also be a key to the Rockets' defense.

INJURY REPORT
    PF Maurice Taylor: He had surgery three weeks ago to repair a torn right Achilles' tendon and is expected to miss the entire season.
    PF/C Jason Collier: Collier had surgery on his right quadriceps cartilage last season. He spent the summer rehabbing the leg and should be ready for the start of training camp.
    SF Glen Rice: He has struggled with plantar fasciitis and may miss some of training camp. It is not expected to impact his ability to play during the regular season.

ROTATION REPORT
    Starting five

PF Kenny Thomas

SF Glen Rice

C Kelvin Cato

SG Cuttino Mobley

PG Steve Francis

The rotation

PG Moochie Norris

PF Eddie Griffin

C Jason Collier

SF Walt Williams

The rest

SF Dan Langhi

SF Terence Morris

SG Oscar Torres

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>Kenny Thomas and Eddie Griffin are the first two names on the depth chart, but don't be surprised if Rudy Tomjanovich comes up with some offbeat solution, like plugging in Glen Rice there and going with a smaller lineup. </b>

Rudy my man, I love ya, but stay out of the liquor cabinet! I guarantee if tries that I'll be the one drinking!

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rice actually played the PF in NYC at times last year, so it isn't out of the question. Hell, Bullard played center last year so nothing will surprise me.

4. Houstone

Houstone Member

Rudy likes versatile players, maybe he's gay!

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Sometimes you see things and you STILL have a hard time believing it... :confused:

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Don't despair guys. When the season begins, there'll be two new players on the roster, Jahidi White & Marc Jackson. Ya' gotta believe.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm sure Rice will do some time at PF when Rudy is looking at certain matchups, but I can't see him actually starting there. If we started Rice as PF, who would start as SF? Walt? Griffin?

8. Yakeem ASunKing

Rice playing PF for New York worked out great, right?
    Oh yeah, now I remember, it was a disaster.
    Sign Mark Jackson &/ or Chucky Brown.
    Otherwise, kiss the second round of the playoffs goodbye.
    (if we're lucky enough to get to the first round).

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

He never played PF in NY unless it was garbage time. I go to almost every game and Im fairly sure of that.

That being said...if he can possibly pull someones PF out near the 3 pt line this year so we have a better chance of rebounding a missed shot, Im all for it.