1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Fixed

2. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

790 is the worst station. I gave up on them a long time ago.

3. j3i

j3i Member

Well that and a lot of us can't watch Astros games. Might be the same reason why there's such little Rockets talk.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

listened on and off on 790 this morning from 615 until 730. From 615 until about 700 they talked about Matt Schaub starting. At 700 until about 710 they discussed Rockets and NBA. Midway while they were talking about the Knick's disaster of a season, Lance jumps in and says "I want to talk more about Matt Schaub..." and he rambles on again before it goes even more off topic.

I could imagine Adam inside getting frustrated with Lance, like wtf, why are we going back to the Texans, we just got done talking about them for an hour and only talked Rockets for a few minutes even though they played last night and national TV and won.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

BTW, let's keep this thread alive, it gives me a place to vent about this topic since every where I go people rather go on about the Texans.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

IT'S PLAIN AND SIMPLE.....PEOPLE LOVE TO FOCUS ON THE BAD NEWS, I.E THE TEXANS!!!

EVEN AFTER THE ROCKETS GOT DWIGHT THIS PAST SUMMER, IT WAS 2 TO 3 DAYS OF ROCKET TALK, THEN BACK TO THE TEXANS. I DON'T KNOW WHY FANS WERE SO ENAMOURED WITH THE TEXANS, SCHAUB AND KUBIAC WERE NOT CHAMPIONSHIP MATERIAL. STEVIE WONDER COULD SEE THAT.

BUT MARK MY WORD, IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY, THE FOCUS WILL BE ON THE ROCKETS.:grin:

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I listen to the 790AM show every morning on my drive to work

It is plain obvious that Adam Clanton wants to talk Rockets (afterall he does some pregame and post game on 790) but the other fool Lance Zierlein quickly diverts back to football either because he knows nothing about basketball and the Rockets (he claims not to watch the games not on National TV so there you go) or simply because he doesn't care about NBA.

This morning Lance was talking about how he would like Parsons to improve his 3 point shot. Seriously? The guy shoots above 40% on his 3 points for the season.

Lance and his football bias need to go if you want Rockets talk on the home of the Rockets

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The only time 790 AM talk Rockets in the morning is for 10 minutes when they ahve a guest and then quickly divert back to football or the crappy Texans.

Rant aside, I listen to 790AM regularly and if you want basketball talk, here is a rough schedule:

Mondays 7:50 AM to 8:00 AM - Craig Ackerman
    Tuesdays 7:50 AM to 8:00 AM - Joel Blank
    Wednesdays 7:50 AM to 8:00 AM - Jason Friedman
    Thursdays 7:50 AM to 8:10 AM - Daryl Morey (this is irregular because of Morey's schedules)

Tuesday afternoons on the Matt Thomas show - Patrick Beverley

Then there is a 1 hour weekly segment on the Charlie Pallilo drive home show with Matt Bullard. This usually happens on the day Rockets have a game which is usually Wednesdays.

1 person likes this.
  9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

If the Texans were 10-4 and going into the playoffs while the Rockets started 1-27, you would hear even less Rocket discussion and even more Texan discussion.

Jan/Feb, you will hear a bit more but not much more. By then talks about who the Texans will hire for their new head coach will be hot an heavy followed by pre-draft discussion, both will have more play on the radio than the Rockets. We will need to wait until May and hope the Rockets go deep in the playoffs in order for them to overtake the Texans.

Now however, I have heard a few callers that have called in complaining about how the Rockets are not getting enough discussion and the Texans are even though they are stinking it up. Everytime it's brought up by a caller the host gets super defensive like "what are you talking about? I just had Patrick Beverly on the show? or just brings up the 10 minute segment they had about the Rockets. These radio host know that the Rockets are not getting enough discussion but won't admit it when the topic is brought up. Fact is they care about ratings and will talk about what the majority of the city wants to talk about. Despite how awful the Texans are, they will continue to have idiot fans out there that will continue to show up to games with face paint, banging the seat in front of them with their hand while watching Randy Bullock miss another field goal. I guess you would call them true fans but I just don't understand why the Texans are so much more popular than the Rockets. I understand Football being a more popular sport, but the vast disparity of coverage between the two teams is ridiculous.

Rocket would be getting even less coverage if it wasn't for the Omer Asik drama this week.

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Lance out this week, Adam has been talking Rockets all Week. What a difference it makes. He still mixing in football but it's not so lopsided now like when Lance is with him. This is the way sports talk should be, the rockets are relevant now, Texans are not, at least give them 50/50 coverage given football is bigger in Houston. Not asking for Rockets to dominate but just give them a little more coverage especially after playing the night before. Adam is doing it right.

Also to those who think the caller driven radio is not true, Matt Thomas said yesterday, "if you guys want to talk basketball, than call in, it's up to you".

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

remember - callers drive these shows. So if there were more Rocket calls, there would be more Rocket talk.

I think that the CSN disaster has a lot to do with it. I saw these last two games but if your normal call in fan can't see the game - they can't call in a show to discuss

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just read a tweet that the Little Caesar's Bowl drew a 2.3 TV rating last night.

Last year's Big East Tourney championship game drew a 2.1.

Football is king...in this city and throughout the country.

I agree with most of you here that I'd like more Rockets talk...hell, I'd like more Astros talk...but football is absolutely killing it right now. These things evolve over time...they're cyclical to some degree. Football is America's Game right now.

13. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I accidentally called 610 yesterday at around 2:00 and when asked by the producer what I wanted to talk about I said, "The win against San Antonio and Dwight Howards maturity this season."

The producer said, "we aren't talking about the Rockets yet so you'll have to wait awhile." Of course they were talking about Texans coaching options.

So I called Matt Thomas after hanging up on 610 (honestly I don't know why they are in my phone even, I hate them, except Fred and Ted in the evening).

I like Matt, he took the call and spent the better part of 10 minutes talking about Howards physique alone and his maturing after the struggles of the last few years.

I think it's a good idea to call in more. I'm 790 all the time now (other than Fred and Ted). Not that they're perfect but I feel like they actually like the Rockets and most of their hosts (except Charlie) are local guys who've been around.

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Agreed. 790 is so much better than 610. 610 seems like the Texans pay them just to NOT talk Rockets basketball. Atleast 790 attempts to acknowledge the Rockets exist

15. platypus

platypus Member

Matt Thomas is the only guy on 790 that i can actually listen to. Their morning show now is unbearable with lance, (clanton is OK). And charlie drives me insane with his pauses and propensity to pick the most boring topics to rant about.

Nowadays I've moved on to greener pastures which is channel 217 on XM (NBA radio). It's great, they have Steve Kerr, Lionel Hollins and a bunch of other great hosts that are great at talking hoops.

16. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Today Adam Clanton is like "I'm the biggest NBA fan here" and Lance goes "Uh..I don't know about that, maybe Rockets fan but not NBA". Man, if your such a big NBA fan why don't I hear you talk more about it then, all I hear from Lance if Texans and College Football.

They were also talking about UT fans vs Aggies and Adam goes "that's alot like Rocket fans cheering for Spurs against Lebron" Lance after that directly goes "LONGHORN SCOTT is on the line, let's take his call".

It's so painfully obvious these two are clashing when it comes to the amount of Rockets coverage there should be.

17. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Every time I hear Adam and Lance in the morning talking Rockets, Adam's trying get the conversation going and Lance just chimes in little until he finds the right opportunity to just turn the topic back to Football. I know his dad was a football coach or something but it's just starting to get obvious there's a lack of interest in getting Rocket talk at all from him.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

I think this gets overlooked too often. We have high school football games in Texas drawing ridiculous crowds while Rockets games don't sell out. Even off season draft talk, coaching hires and FA signings get more air time than the Rockets beating SA or losing to the Kings.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

IT'S SIMPLE......YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T SEE! EVEN WITH THE ROCKETS BEING ON ESPN, TNT, OR WHATEVER, THE MASSES DO NOT HAVE COMCAST.

EVEN WHEN THE ROCKETS DIDN'T HAVE T-MAC OR YAO, RHERE WAS MORE ROCKET TALK ON THE AIRWAYS THAN IT'S BEEN THE PAST TWO YEARS.

THIS BLACKOUT HAS KILLED THEIR COVERAGE IN HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS.

THANKS TO THE ASSTROS:mad:

1 person likes this.
  20. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

You are completely right, football is king especially down here in Texas. However, I really believe that Rockets have lost a lot of appeal (even though not entirely their fault) due to the fact that most of the city is not being able to watch the games. I mean how can one talk about something that they aren't able to watch. Its sad that the only team in our city to win a championship and 60% of the population can't EASILY watch them on TV. The comcast/TV situation along with football being KING down here has really affected the Rockets appeal. And the said thing is that this team still has a lot of potential.