1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. moose

moose Member

I'm sure its hard for Houstonians to pay attention if they can't even watch the games.

2. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

This, and anyone else who mentioned this in the thread.

Most that like to watch them on TV have no idea about how to get on the internet and watch them on some crappy stream. Out of sight, out of mind.

3. teebone21

teebone21 Member

0745 monday-friday rocket reps will be on air. Bullard usually on home game days with Matt Thomas.

But ..........................

NFL season has officially started with free agency going on. NFL or BUST

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Houston is a football town, their team is a SB contender, and the basketball team isn't on TV and hasn't won anything in years. 790 broadcasts the Rocket games, so it's in their interest to promote them - it's not like they have a reason to not want to discuss the Rockets.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I don't understand why in the mornings, they can't have a good segment discussing the rockets game on either stations. Sure callers are wanting to talk Texans but during the week the Texans don't play, while the rockets play 3 to 4 times per week. Even after an exciting game again marquee teams, I listen on the drive to work in the morning and it's all Texans.

I can tell Adam Clanton wants to talk Rockets in the morning but Lance and the callers always steer it towards the Texans. I've come to now just recording the post game shows after the games on my phone and listening to them in the morning rather than listening to people talk Texans all day.

Honestly, the Rockets would have to sign Lebron James, and win back to back championships while the Texans continue to stink it up before they will be discussed more than the Texans, I truly feel that way.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They are too busy beating a dead horse , talking about firing Kubiak & Co. to bother with a Rockets team that's playing ~.650 ball.

7. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Hillbilly football town /thread.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lance is a pathetic talk show guy. He is all about Football. Even when Adam tries to inject some Rockets and rightly so, he tries to dominate and somehow manages to deviate back to football.

The only Rockets they talk each morning is about 10 minutes when they have either Ackerman or Joe Blank or Morey or Friedman come on.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Blame it on Caller Driven Sports Talk Format which is what the Sports Radio Stations in Houston use. Caller Driven Radio is for Talk Show Hosts that are not good enough to carry a show on their own and makes for poor ratings and poor radio.

10. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I love football but it's talked about way too much. So much chatter for a sport that has only 16 regular season games. It's even more mind-boggling since the Texans are a huge disappoint and we have Rockets playing pretty good ball with games being played pretty often.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's a football town, what do you expect.

If you want to hear mainly basketball on sports radio, move to LA.

(Don't actually move to LA... please.)

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They were still hardly talked about before the TV dispute.

13. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Houston fans are largely to blame. People here only care about football, despite the fact that our football team is owned and run by a bunch of guys who couldn't even manage a Popeye's Chicken if they're lives depended on it. Our fans continue to cheer for these idiots, as if things will magically get better despite the fact that the owner of the Texans ranks somewhere between an Iraqi and a Sunbeam toaster on the scale of human evolution.

People in Houston are dumb, the mindlessly support losing teams and will continue to throw their money at them aimlessly. We deserve to suck at every sport until fans here grow a brain and stop buying tickets to the flea circus. Stop spending money on scams, stop giving money to people or organizations that are just out to make a buck off of you. Stop acting like transplants, if you live in this town you should demand the best from our teams or move the **** back to whatever city you came from.

14. Chris Jent MVP

A very large portion of the population ARE transplants. If they bought a Texan's ticket, they have to leave town? You sound like Presidential material of the Palin persuasion.

I don't demand the best from the Texans, nor will I ever. I'm rather enjoying their epic meltdown. This is the best season they have ever had as far as I'm concerned. I have been hoping for an 0-16 season, but 2-9 is the next best thing.

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Its very frustrating, ESPECIALLY on 610. Its almost like the Texans have them in pocket and paying them to talk football all day. Its disgusting how they neglect Rockets talk. I hear more Johnny Manzel callers than Rockets callers. The RICE OWLS are more popular than the Rockets according to Houston Sports Radio. Everytime I hear John McLain old azz I wanna throw up. Smfh

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

610 might still be bitter after they lost the Rockets last year to 790. 790 is the worst though, at least in the mornings. They are in contract with the Rockets, yet they still only talk Texans even though they aren't in contract with them. Most mornings after a Rocket's game, I hear more basketball talk from 610 than 790 and that's just stupid. And 790 reception sucks in the Katy Area and on I-10. I kinda wish the Rockets would go back to 610.

17. chandlerbang21

Ever since they changed their show rotations they have stopped having a rockets segment every weekday morning. " the big show" gave the rockets regular attention but now we only hear about them during pre game

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I cringed when I read that...

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I'm so sick of hearing the Texans and just to think that this will continue even if they lose out the rest of the season. As a poster mentioned earlier too, it doesn't have that much to do with the fact they can't be seen on TV. When they were on TV the disparity was still there.

I had 610 on the other day during the broadcast at the Texan grill where Mark Vandermeer hosts the show, it was so freaking lame. They were getting all excited because the Texans can play spoiler to the colts this year and talked about how awesome JJ watts numbers were and how Dre is close to 900 career catches. I'm like my god, your team is 2-9, stop trying to force the Texans' kool aid on the City. Vandermeer may be a decent play by play guy but terrible when it comes to discussing the game objectively, he can't ever say anything negative about the Texans. I know he is paid by Texans but you at least hear Bill Worrell during the Rockets broadcast call players out and you can feel the disgust in their voice when things are going bad, they don't cover up for players like Vandermeer does.

20. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread...........I live in Cincy and am the biggest Rockets fan in the Midwest. Call it geeky, but I try to listen to the Houston sports radio stations (on my smartphone) on the way home from work several nights a week to catch up on some Rockets sports talk only to disgustingly hear 99% Texans talk. We've got Harden, Howard, Lin, etc. and all Houston sports radio talks about is the Texans!!! I listened in February at the trade deadline and thought my radio was broke as there was no NFL football going on but all 610 and 790 would talk about was the Texans. My first post in years and I apologize for the length, but this really pisses me off!!!