1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant: When Mike Brown was fired my first choice was D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fantasma Negro, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Fantasma Negro

So I was scrolling through my Directv on demand library last night to see why I pay so damn much for cable when I came across Showtime on demand. Firstly I had no idea Jim Rome ever had a show on Showtime, its pretty good but the first episode contains an interview with Kobe Bryant from 2012 right after Mike Brown had been fired. The show has been cancelled and I can't find the interview on YouTube so I'll transcribe it for you alls reading pleasure:

Jim Rome: Joining me right now is my first ever guest on showtime, the Black Mamba himself, Kobe Bryant. Kobe it's great to have you on, how are you?

Kobe Bryant: I'm doing alright man, thanks for having me.

J.R: You've seen a ton of drama in your sixteen years with that team, what's this first month of the season been like compared to the past?

K.B: Well, it's been up and down. The start of the season was such a struggle, no one was really sure what the heck was going on and things kind of happened pretty quickly and all of a sudden is just this big hoopla.

J.R: So let's talk about what's happened. Phil Jackson did not get that gig, Mike D'Antoni did, why do you think he's the guy to lead this team to a championship?

K.B: Well I'm not really sure. I haven't talked to Mitch (Kupchak) or Jimmy (Bus) about the decision. I spoke to them initial about candidates and D'Antoni and Phil were obviously at the top of that list but once they made a decision there was really no reason for me to sit down and converse with them as to why they made certain choices and this that and the other. And so onward we go.

J.R: So in your opinion, what do you think happened and why do you think Jackson did not get that gig?

K.B: Well from everything that I've heard it was a basketball decision in terms of D'Antoni's rapport with Steve (Nash). We brought Steve here to initiate the offense and if you're going to do that then what better coach to have than him (D'Antoni). We all have a familiarity with him as well, I do and Dwight does from playing on the Olympic teams with him so I think that had a lot to do with it.

J.R: Did they ask you "point blank" who do you like, Phil or Mike D'Antoni?

K.B: Well when Jimmy and I spoke, actually my first choice was Mike D'Antoni because I didn't know Phil was an option. I didn't think that was something this organization would even entertain, the possibility of bringing him back, then Jimmy brought up his name and asked if I would be open to it and said is that something I would open to. I told him I'd be more than open to it, obviously having had spent the majority of my career with him (Jackson). And so once that became a possibility it came down to them (Jimmy Bus and Mitch Kupchak) selecting who they preferred.

J.R: Ok so once it became a possibility, when its wasn't Jackson, initially were you disappointed?

K.B: I wouldn't say I was disappointed, I mean obviously there's a little disappointment that goes on with that only because I've spent so much time with Phil and would've loved to kind of reconnect with him. But I think I was surprised more than anything because I hear the talk and the chatter just like everybody else and it just seemed like Phil was a lock to get the position and then when I got the call that it was D'Antoni I think it kinda caught me off guard a little bit and I think it caught D'Antoni off guard too.

J.R: So D'Antoni is the guy. You said to reporters last week, he's got a bit of and I quote ******* in him. What did you mean by that when you said that?

K.B: Oh exactly that he's a bit of an *******, which I really enjoy because that give him a little feistiness and that edge that you want to have. It's tough in competition to just go out and compete and expect people to be nice to each other all the time. You gotta have that ass-holishness I guess.

J.B: Hey Kobe what happened to Mike Brown why didn't that work?

K.B: I'm not really sure. I don't know. It's tough to be a coach in any sport, especially in this day and age where the patience from fans and management in particular with this organization is very quick. And communication is tough with the numerous personalities in the locker room. Its a tough profession and I don't envy it.

J.R: Was it the right call?

K.B: It remains to be seen, the jury is still out. At the time we were pretty bad and in this day in age the coach gets the brunt of the blame.

J.R: Magic Johnson said "I don't believe in Jim Bus, he's already made two critical mistakes." From where you're sitting do you think Jim Bus is in over his head?

K.B: I don't think so, outside from the Mike Brown hire which I knew nothing about, we've been in constant communication. He's made some great moves this offseason and hasn't been afraid to pull the trigger on some trades that seemed questionable at first but he believes in doing the right thing for the organization and so far it seems to be working.

J.R: Ok let's talk about some of those moves, you got Dwight Howard. When Dwight Howard came did he understand the significance of being a big man in this town with that franchise? Does he know what he signed up for?

K.B: Yeah, he knows and he enjoys it. He's an outgoing, fun loving guy. He like to be around, in the limelight and doing various things but when he comes to practice we make sure he's dialed in and rrady to do what he needs to do.

J.R: He's a guy that likes to have fun, how much of that is him being a clown and how much of him is killer?

K.B: He likes having a good time but when he got here I told him, my responsibility to you is to help you try to find that next gear. Find that next level to where your intensity becomes infectious to the rest of the guys on the floor with you. But you can't be class clown and win three defensive player of the year awards.

J.R: He's signed through this year, what about next year?

K.B: We don't talk about that

They go more in depth about the offense to which Kobe says he doesn't have to work half as hard to get wide open looks. If you have showtime its worth a look

1 person likes this.
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Get ready for the Lin to Capela PnR!

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't suspect that there are many players, especially guards/wings, that wouldn't want to play for MD. So this interview isn't really surprising.

Hopefully he'll attract some key free agents. I do feel good about having Bzdelik on board with him, but keeping my expectations low.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

So we're supposed to overlook his track record because Kobe likes/liked him? I don't think so. Even with Bzdelik onboard I don't foresee MDA changing much at all - it will be MDA seting the tone for this team and that will mean offense, offense and more offense. When all is said and done, I'm expecting the Rockets to pretty much resemble those Don Nelson teams at Dallas and GS - good to great offensive teams that fell short defensively. Well, at least you have expectations. I'm expecting nothing from them as they have to show me with results on the court that this move was a good hire and not just another whiff by this organization.

5. houtown

houtown Member

And it was a mistake to want D'Antoni at the time. It seemed like he wanted to prove he could win without Phil Jackson, but that was not the case, sometimes superstars do not know what is best for them as players, hence why you need a strong front office, who for the most part, do not succumb to superstar pandering for the team.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because it meant he could shoot as much as he wanted

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So Kobe knew how to get rid of Dwight before the Rockets FO figured that out several years later? :grin:

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wonder what his opinion was once MDA got fired.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Its the Italian connection

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

misleading title. article states it was his first choice only because he didn't know Phil Jackson was on the table.

Not dissing the hire like most and think he will be a pleasant surprise, but don't think it's fair to paint the title the way you have as most astute basketball fans know it was a two person race between PJ and MD. Title makes it look as though Kobe wanted MD first and foremost - which is just not the case.

11. bmd

bmd Member

I said this in another thread... but Mike D'Antoni was a star in Italy and he was Kobe's favorite player when he was growing up in Italy. Mike D'Antoni is the reason Kobe wore #8:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D'Antoni is a legend in Italy.