1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

1. Yes

62.2%
  2. No

37.8%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Do we have Covington in this scenario?

D-rock likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Covington and Capela

YOLO, HardenVolumeOne and HP3 like this.
  3. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Keep in mind I'm assuming Russ is still on this team if this kind of deal goes down. Russ and AD are an automatic top 3 seed in the West. I'm also assuming MDA is gone as well, wishful thinking I know.

Booker is one of the rising stars in this league, and I've said this months before the bubble started. Beal and Booker are my 2 favorite non Rockets, been watching Booker for a hot minute and think he's a rich mans Klay Thompson. He and Russ would create the leagues best backcourt also.

I won't even go into Doncic since we're on the same page there. But, the fact you absolutely balk on AD and Booker and are all for a Luka swap is weird to me.

OKC may beat us in the first round next week, we're running out of prime time Harden soon... Only so much tread left on those tires, been rode really hard unfortunately for over a half decade now.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I just watched the highlight from last night where Jimmy Butler knocked down Chris Paul for messing with Duncan Robinson.

First, loved it. Makes the team so much better when one of your stars would do that. Gives the role players confidence.

Secondly, I don’t care about style or fit, it is so unfortunate we are here today when not long ago we tried to get Jimmy for a package in all honesty that was much better than what Minnesota got for him. And looking back, I wonder if we offered Capela would that have made the difference?

We’d still have CP instead of Russ because those four first rounders would be with Minny, but who knows if things would even have soured.

Anyway, I wasn’t a fan of Jimmy for bullying KAT, just didn’t think anyone should throw his teammate under the bus, but have grown to love him since.

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not believe Butler likes Paul even before the Duncan incident.

There was layers to why Butler decided not to team up with Harden and Paul. Jimmy was already good friends with James.

Paul's on court antics are renown and so is his reputation for wearing out locker rooms.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That’s interesting. Would have figured they’d get along great.

Either way pretty sure OKC is going to be pretty happy with Paul after this series is over. A lot of pressure on your boy Green to step up.

D-rock likes this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I rather have our first round picks.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are absolutely correct, Green is going to be key.

No other roller on the team is as effective or efficient as Green.

And Green also serves as secondary ball handler, not just with Harden but also in non Harden lineups.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Let's go even further back with the stones, draft Kawaii, and make another 10-peat with the Drexler, Jordan, Dream trio.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really think we’re undermining EG. He has been shaky all season, but dude is hands down our best player after Harden and Russ. If we stand any chance in the playoffs with no Russ, he would be our best option.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not agree more!

Using EGo as shot creator and playmaker instead of just a spot up shooter allows him to use all his abilities to fullest, especially if 3ball not falling.

When his confidence is up he is a different player, a premium scorer.

This is the role he played when he dropped 50 on Utah Jazz this season.

12. HardenVolumeOne

gordon should come off the bench where their is no pressure on him

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's one of his last chances IMO.

If he can't capitalize, he is just not the right player.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol even when hes 40 harden will be better than ad

Htown Stros and D-rock like this.
  15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Either Covington or Capela, that team I think would be the current favorite from the West.

HP3 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Not only has AD never won anything like I said in my last post, and he's had players around him just as good, if not better, than many/most of the rosters Harden has brought to the playoffs with the Rox before the CP3 deal. Further, he's already 27 with an injury history and has the fact that big men age/deteriorate quicker than someone like Harden, who I truly believe will be a good to great player into his mid 30s. So with AD that's a HARD PASS.

I like Booker though - I don't view him as a rising star, I view him as a star already. I wouldn't be shocked if you told me he wins a MVP in the future. If you're taking all intangibles, factors, etc. out of the equation and you're a GM having to choose one of the two players to lead your team moving forward indefinitely, I'd take Booker as well. However, it's not that simple when you take into account our team has completely sold out to compete the next 3 years and will be awful once Tucker is gone/retired, Westbrook has aged another 2 to 3 years (his game is going to fall off like a cliff), and we have no young talent to infuse into this team...I just don't see why you would want to do that deal.

And then what's going to happen when Booker leaves us after his contract ends four years from now? It just somewhat frustrates me people are so willing, and almost wanting, to trade a man who is going to go down as a top 2 Rocket of all time with a chance, albeit a small one, of going down as the best during an era where there is absolutely no loyal by any of the superstars in this league anymore. Seriously, other than Curry who's living in a city most people would say is more desirable to live in than HTown and playing on a stacked team that anyone would be crazy to leave...who has been loyal other than James Harden? Hell Kawhi just won a ring and then dipped on a team who traded for him. That’s why I’m such a huge Harden fan and I'm thankful he's a Rocket.

Lastly, Harden has been incredibly durable his entire career and he's come back into this NBA bubble in great shape - I'm hopeful this is a new Harden moving forward with improved cardio and stamina as it would be a huge difference maker going into his 30s. Most importantly, as much s*** as everyone gives him, he loves playing this game and his defense isn't as bad as people make it seem. In fact, at times especially when he's playing on ball, he's been good - I loved see him take on Giannis on D the other day, it was awesome to see.

But yeah if you guarantee me Booker is going to be as loyal as Harden has been and if MDA is gone too with a good coach to go with Booker...then sure sign me up...but let’s be real we’ll probably end up with another retread like JVG.

Edit: Oh and as for Luka I think the guy is going to be what the NBA has hoped Giannis will be and take over for LeBron...I hate to say it as I can't stand he's a Maverick.

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Considering AD is only 3 years younger you're 10000% right...people act like AD is still 24.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He hasn't played like it in awhile.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He’s got to put his head down and get to the basket with WB being out instead of jacking up 12 threes and making 2...maybe 3 or 4 if we’re lucky

hakeem94 likes this.