1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale's offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moahst, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Moahst

Moahst Member

Whenever the next NBA season starts, new Rockets coach Kevin McHale has stated that he intends to refocus our interior defense but attempt to maintain our offensive effectiveness. This last year's Adelman coached Rockets squad was a top five offensive team - a beautiful, well implemented system. My questions to you, the fans, are as follows: Will McHale be able to properly "maintain" the Adelman/Princeton style offense without the help of the old head coach/assistant? Are there any key pieces to Adelman's offensive staff that will still be here under McHale's tenure? What kind of offense has McHale traditionally run?

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I think Finch will be running the same offense Rick ran, he did have to use that offense in the D-League after all.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ideally, we will keep at least some semblance of Adelman's read-and-react, Princeton-like offense in place. It works too well to ignore. When you're giving teams like the Spurs known for the defense hell, you know you're onto something good.

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Agreed, but we we have an assistant on the staff that is knowledgeable enough in this type of offense and can implement it ? :confused:

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

is chris finch officially our assistant coach? and i think the vipers ran similar offence as the rockets right?

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yes.

Chris Finch is pretty familiar with the offense, but really most coaches are. The basics of Adelman's offense are as simple as it gets. It's really just a bunch of corner and elbow sets. Read and react with counter options. It's simple, yet effective. Obviously there are many wrinkles, but that's what you have a playbook (which I'm sure the Rockets have kept) and game film for.
    McHale surely will implement some of the stuff that he likes to run as well.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that the Rox FO tracks the effectiveness of the different offense plays run by the entire league. I could see the FO adding/suggesting a handful of plays, based on effectiveness.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'm sure they do and we might get to see a few sets of other teams here and there, but it's easier said than done, because you can only practice and run so many many sets effectively and ideally want to always run most off your offense based on other sets of your offense, so that you always have a counter to how the defense defends it.
    That's in part why Adelman's offense is so effective. It's simply, but very hard to predict, because there are so many counters.
    If you just implement the 30 most effective sets of the league, you might get off to a great start, but after 15 games or so teams will have more or less figured you out and it will become much more difficult to score on teams as time goes on.