1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Katz: Rockets gaining interest in Woods with #15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yao ming, Jun 26, 2002.

1. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

Katz: Rockets are leaning toward Woods with #15

The overnight buzz prior to the draft saw NBA teams all waiting to hear if the Cavs' deal sending Andre Miller and the No. 6 pick to the Clippers for the 8 and 12 picks and Darius Miles (or Corey Maggette) would be consummated by the tipoff of the draft. The discussions of that trade have cooled any talks of Phoenix and Cleveland swapping the No. 6 and No. 9 picks, according to the Suns. Meanwhile, Houston is gaining interest in Qyntel Woods if he drops to No. 15. Washington could take Maryland's Juan Dixon or Gonzaga's Dan Dickau if the Wizards keep the No. 17 pick instead of shipping it to Denver for James Posey. Phoenix could be leaning toward Casey Jacobsen at No. 22. New Jersey is now considering trading its pick out of the first round. Denver might try and package 25 and 33 to get into the teens. Indiana and the Lakers could be discussing Austin Croshere for Robert Horry as well as some pick flopping. Indiana and Portland could be swapping picks. Orlando is leaning toward Dickau over Frank Williams if the Magic has the choice at 18. Atlanta would like to get into the first round and look at a point guard in John Salmons, Dickau, Smush Parker or a shooting guard in Jiri Welsch. The word on the Knicks is Chris Wilcox, Dajuan Wagner and Jared Jeffries in that order.

I don't know how reliable his sources are, but I think a lot of Rockets fans would be happy!

2. Truth

Truth Member

No, Nachbar , No Prince , No Stoudamire,! Katz Sux he's had us taking everybody except Charles Jones.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think I'd rather have Nachbar based on what I understand about the two player's games. Plus, I don't think the Rockets need any more immaturity or potential head cases on this team, and from what I've heard about Qyntel Woods is that he's had some issues. I'm banking on the Wizards selecting Woods with the 11th pick anyway...at least, that's my hope.

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

I wouldn't mind Woods if we can pick up Yarbrough or less likely Prince with the 38th pick

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If Rice is healthy, I think I can live with the Wiz taking Nachbar and us taking Woods. The guys a risk, but I guess they are either gonna have one of the best drafts in their history, or one of the most infamous. Still, I hop Amare drops down somehow.

6. Possum

Possum Member

Forget Woods that would give us three players that have no idea what defense is. I would rather have Welsch or Nachbar.

7. Cedsports

Cedsports Member

If the Rockets go small forward with the 15, you expect them go with a 2-guard with 37.

Why not Cooke??

Nobody is talking about him, and it seems he would be a nice sleeper to cap this whole draft up for the Rockets.

Think about it... With all the contracts that the Rockets have, it is going to be hard for the 37 to make this team.

Cooke was rated the best high school player two years ago, and would have been rated number one this year if he would have stayed at one school. He's 6 6' already with handles. I think he could be the answer for Cat when his contract is up.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Nachbar will fit us the best for our immediate needs. But Stoudamire will be a killer--better that Carter and McGrady,bigger and stronger. That is after a couple of years of coaching and experience!

9. Oski2005

can somebody show me what opposing pg actually avg against Francis. I'm getting the feeling that this no defense argument is grossly blown out of proportion.

10. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

I think if Stoudemire is available at 15, the Rocks will snatch him up in a heartbeat, even if Woods is also available, but I would be shocked if he is still there. I could see them packaging 15 and KT for a SF (Jeffries maybe?), but would be surprised if they moved up and with that package to pick another 4. The ultimate scenario, IMHO, would be for Butler to drop into the range where we could move up to get him.

11. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

OK, two months ago, Woods was gonna go 3 or 4 in the draft. If he falls to us, why would anyone be disappointed if we take him?

I know he is raw, but if we aren't moving Rice or KT and Nachbar is gone, I don't see a problem.

Another guy that was a top 5 pick and seems to be plummetting that I jump on if he is there despite team needs is DeJuan Wagner. I know we are stacked at 1/2 but he is a talent you do not pass on, IMO.

I would have no problem whatsoever running a lineup of Francis, Wagner, Mobley, Griffin & Ming longterm. Matchup problems all over the court and you have two erasers to help out the small backcourt.

To be honest, I can't see either of these guys falling to us, but if they do, I don't even think twice. If they both do, I prolly take Wagner, but might do Woods just because he would be a better SF.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not sure about Francis, but I know that someone did go through and compare Mobley vs. opponents and on average Cuttino outscored them by a couple points per game. So, either Cuttino must just be an unguardable offensive player, or his defense really isn't much worse than many other shooting guards in the league. I'm sure it's the same with Francis. It's been blown out of proportion, but they definitely could stand to improve their defense.

13. Oski2005

Uh, Wagner isn't plummeting at all my friend. Denver might take him. The cavs are interested whether they trade Miller or not. The Clipps might take him if they don't get Miller. Washington is also interested. I heard my man Stephen A. Smith say that Wagner has seriously impressed everybody at his workouts and that he has proven to be a good passer and very capable of playing the NBA point.

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

Clutch has a list of the high scorers against the rockets last season

well it seems to be down right now but it wasn't pretty, despite the big man heavy conference, it was mostly guards that killed us

looking at that list, it also seems Steve has a very real tendency to get into PG duels

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Not that I feel like helping the Lakers, but if Qyntel drops to #15 (and Nachbar is gone), can we make a deal with them? I miss Robert Horry. Plus, with a lower first round draft pick, we could probably get our hands on either Prince or Dixon and shed a bad contract in the process.

Then again, there are probably better deals out there. Just a thought...

16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I do not think so buddy Horry aint that good and he's fading fast. I would be glad if we took Woods or Nachbar preferably Nachbar, but I know that all of the GMs feel the same way that I do. And that has nothing to do with talent because I know that they both have talent but I feel that Nachbar's range is out of this world and may I add neither of these two is going to have dynamite defense they're rookies. I think that we go with Woods and hopefully Yarborough with the second round pick Yarburough would be a steal that late and would gain some trade value trust me. If we could come out with Woods and Ming how would that be bad you people are never satisfied some of you. And by the way thank god that we are not taking Butler this guy is blown out of proportion sure he is nice but our other options will pan out better again trust me.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

According to ESPN.com there could be an Horry+27 for Croshere+14 swap. I guess they must want woods. That would be a good deal for the lakers though. :-(

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It looks like the following guys are on our radar: Nachbar, Woods, Stoudamire, and Prince. If none of the first three are available, they'll move down and take Tayshaun at like #20 or #21 (trade with Toronto or Portland).

Nachbar is the obvious choice here, no doubt. We all better hope that Milwaukee takes Haislip or Ely. We have no use for either, and hopefully one of our guys falls into our lap at #15. It would be ideal if then the Pacers take Rush at #14. That would leave us to decide between Stoudamire and Nachbar. Since the top-ten is pretty much solid like this (in any order 4-10).

1-10
    Ming
    Williams
    Dunleavy
    Gooden
    Tsitishvilli
    Butler
    Wilcox
    Hilario
    Jeffries
    Wagner
    11-15
    Woods
    Borchardt
    Haislip
    Rush
    Nachbar or Stoudamire

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Lakers will not break up their 3-time championship team. Horry played a huge role in the playoffs, and their GM publicly said, "They've earned the right to compete for a fourth title." Unusual for teams to be so loyal these days.

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

How many games have you personally watched that any one of those 3 players have played in?