1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG might replace MDA as Rockets coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 5, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how JVG would work for this current team. It doesn't make sense to me at all based on how he coached this team back in his last stint.

I think a better view of what JVG may do as a coach is his current stint with the US team. Has he adapted his style to the current type of game that is being played? Even defensively, what worked before, doesn't necessarily work much anymore due to the complex motion offenses that are devised and how far the floor is being spread out.

We don't have a big man and part of JVG's defensive principles required a big man to man the middle and protect the paint.

I like JVG, but as many have stated, I'm concerned about the actual fit. I would hate to waste Harden/Westbrook's prime year with a coach that wants to dictate the offense (Thibedou / JVG style). We need to just continue going the Mike D direction and hire Kenny Atkinson instead with a strong defensive assistant coach.

D-rock, Patience and Caesar like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fertitta is the kind of guy that wont hire him because he goes to Rice games instead of UH.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Watching abc and espn broadcasts, I think his approach to the game, especially on the offensive side changed a little bit from his run with New York and Houston

kjayp likes this.
  4. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This. Learn your talents, know your role. Van Gundy was a B+ coach. He's an A+ color guy.

D-rock, AroundTheWorld, Easy and 4 others like this.
  6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

How do we knoe if JVG is a modern coach?

7. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

JVG also from the Riley tree... and Riley was notorious for adapting his coaching style to fit the talent, not the other way around.

To think that JVG, with as much basketball as he's watched year-in/year-out since he stopped coaching, would be so restrictive to harken back to the 90's style is quite presumptuous.

Will he demand full effort on both ends of the court, as well as preach high execution/high IQ basketball? Sure... and how is that a bad thing?

Whomever the next coach is, they just gotta get respect from Harden/Russ. I don't think a complete unknown/new coach gets that. Maybe a current assistant?

joshuaao, T for 3 and kjayp like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

JVG >>>> Tom Thibadeux

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

JVG may be pushing for this himself. He has lived in Houston for years, obviously likes the city, and would see a lot more of his family as a coach. He'd see less of them than he does as a broadcaster, though. Clearly questions about the fit are something to take seriously. Jeff has to have absorbed the changes in the league, what it would take to win with the evolution he's watched play out on the court. He would have to because of his job, and he would have to because it would be an addiction for someone like him. Whether that would transfer to a team he coached is one of those obvious questions. Having our back court, would he be able to make good use of it? I associate him with coaching 5's and 4's. We really don't have any.

I admit that the idea intrigues me. Probably because I just like the guy. When I see he's doing a broadcast of a game I'm going to watch, especially a Rockets game, of course, my reaction is to rub my hands together and say, "Well all right!"

#30 Deckard, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    joshuaao and mikol13 like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can handle a season or two of jvg. I think the reason he was passed over again was because Les didn't like him and even dissed him a couple of times post tenure.

If we didn't regress attitude wise, I'd be okay with another players coach like Rudy T, while letting the team enforce defense and discipline.

That's not gonna happen rn

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

I love me some JVG the person. JVG as an assistant coach? Hell yeah. Head coach? No thanks. Kind of over these old guys who've never won before. We going to interview George Karl too?

If Morey just wants a yes man, then guys like our former Rockets Ellie and Cassell probably wouldn't work because they don't seem like yes men. I'm probably alone in wanting a brilliant x's and o's assistant staff and hiring a former player/players coach to manage egos and be really likeable and respected. Someone like Penny Hardaway or Steve Nash or Grant Hill. Steve Kerr didn't have any head coaching experience either.

D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Esp. with him getting older, when he was younger he couldn't take the wear and tear of a long season, what changed now?

JVG half the passion ain't the real JVG.

Easy and Patience like this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

I could see JVG trading Harden for a C/PF before coaching a super small ball team lol, and obviously Morey would have to be canned too.
    JVG would choose to coach WB over Harden imo

15. fattz

fattz Member

JVG is nostalgia and that’s about it. Our need is someone like Sam Cassell or Mario Ellie. Rookie coach that’s player friendly that will let stars aline. MDA has been great finding ways to make Harden and others shine. Even Mark Jackson would be a better solution than JVG, IMO. Rick Adelman if we’re going to bring someone back from the past. Rick the ruler is the answer; Even clapping, sticky ball, Milk Hair before the slow grind 70 point games, it doesn’t fit the league or our roster.

16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

This guy can coach my team any day, any year, just for this one moment in time:

[​IMG]

Sanctity likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

HIRE GUNDY!!!

sirjesse likes this.
  18. macan

macan Member

insert it's happening.gif
    yes JVG! bring back those old school physical plays plz!!

sirjesse likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

JVG has recently coached fringe NBA talent to secure Olympic qualifying. I don't think we can look back on his first stint as the Rockets head coach and think he would coach the exact same way.

JVG has probably evolved and changed.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Jeff has evolved a bit. I think he understands that he doesn't know offense well, and would embrace Morey's approach. Defense he obviously knows what he is doing

kjayp likes this.