1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander shut down 'a couple of weeks' with forearm strain

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 26, 2020.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I get why Baker said "a couple of weeks and then reevaluate". However, a forearm strain is very concerning. Hoping for the best though.

There's probably going to be more injuries than usual to pitchers this season. Already happened with Kluber, Kershaw, Sale, Syndergaard, Severino, etc.

I think the Astros are going to have to win a lot of games this season via the slugfest. They're certainly capable of doing just that.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

lol...You must be new to being an Astros fan. We have the worst medical staff in the league. A forearm strain is code for TJ.

We hardly got out of the ALDS with Cole and Verlander. It might hurt but its time to get some value from your stars while you still have them. Springer is walking this season and there's no reason not to trade him but I know this will be unpopular.

snowconeman22 and Redfish81 like this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Verlander pitched Friday night

mri tomorrow to confirm

aka I don’t have to address this until a few weeks from now.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Just saving him for the playoffs. Nothing to see here.

marks0223 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Fire sale.

Wut?

And just punt on the next 3 years or so?

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

But he only pitched from the pen right? He was also told it would hurt like hell but he didn't care because he wanted to help the team in the playoffs. Would Verlander be willing to pitch from the pen/through pain?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So none of those guys can be replaced or resigned?

What value are you getting in this truncated season?

BamBam likes this.
  8. Mr. Space City

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I hate to say this but I really do think that if Verlander’s about to get TJS, the Astros run as WS contenders is very likely over. They don’t have the prospects or money to overcome their lone true ace being gone for 2 seasons.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering how bad the injury list is for everyone else... we will be competitive, just not a super team. Red Sox missing Sale. Yankees lost Severino. Dodgers without Price. We also made it to the World Series in 2005 without 2/5 of the rotation. Sometimes a star destroyer is better than a death star.

The Beard likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Stop, no logic is allowed around here.

Everyone else seems to want to relive the good ole days when Drayton kept players too long and then traded them for scraps causing a decade long drought from the playoffs.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

How much of the salary does the insurance cover when a player is out? If it's most of it and JV is out next season, hopefully they can use the money that they would have used towards JV on a free agent or towards bringing back Springer and or Brantley.

If a player is out, is the salary off the hook or is it still included in the team salary? Would it effect the luxury tax?

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Didn't realize Kershaw is also out... and Synegaard... this season is going to be a skirmish of attrition.

arkoe and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do not think teams have insurance against player injuries.

16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Should've clarified. Still have hopes LMJ of course, but for this team with no Verlander presumably for the season, possibly next if this injury goes straight to hell, what an absolute dog**** 8 months it's been.

17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just let Kate go Mr. Miyagi on his arm.

Heaven knows a little Kate spit and rubbing would do wonders for some of my body parts.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

But is Kershaw out with the same kind of injury that has implications of major time out of the game?

19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Time for Whitley to sh*t or get off the pot.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Well, even if Verlander is out and the run is over, I am not sure it makes a ton of sense to rebuild.

The trade market this season will be extremely unpredictable, but teams may be very reluctant to give up major prospects this season given the season may not even finish. However, more playoff teams should mean more buyers.

If I were the GM I would stand pat this season and then gauge the markets for Bregman, Correa, Yordan, Greinke, Osuna, and McCullers this offseason to see if they could generate the kind of return that makes sense. QO Springer and hope to god Whitley and Tucker become stars.

All moot because Verlander just said he’s not out for the season, so that’s good news.