1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Luhnow & A.J. Hinch appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have no idea what you’re referring to.

If a team covets and hires Luhnow, tell me exactly how other teams could plan on “taking him out”? Granted, I don’t see him taking any job where he doesn’t have full/complete control. That was what was so good his relationship with Crane... he got to do whatever he wanted (for better or for worse).

Hell, they were already leery of trading with him prior to **** hitting the fan. Every GM likely already felt fleeced before they even commenced the deal. His ‘bad’ deals (Gomez, offering Colby the QO) are even calculating enough to where it creates just the slightest bit of “hey, he is human after all” and gets teams excited to work with him again.

He will do what he’s always done. Revamp the minor league/development system from the ground up and stockpile a volume of high upside players that will be attractive enough to make big trades without hurting the long term projections of the big league team.

raining threes likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If he is not the owner, he cannot stop from being fired. GM's get taken down by pressure on the owner. That is what happened here. Its what could happen again.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Luhnow wasn’t smart enough to avoid the ire of the commissioners office and the disdain of other front offices, what makes you think he will be smart enough to navigate a return to baseball?

I LOVED Jeff Luhnow. He was my idol. But in the end it was exposed that while he was obviously super smart, he lacked humility and perspective and those ended up being his undoing. He is not well liked by very many people in the game and I would be very surprised if he resurfaced as a GM.

4. raining threes

I guess having a proven winner isn't important to the owners.

There will be an owner who wants to win.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He made Crane a **** ton of money. The Astros value now is solely due to the interest that winning helped create.

He also helped some players make some serious money... Cole being the latest.

He will be sought after... the only ones who have an axe to grind with him are the media.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he’s found to be involved in another scandal, it can certainly happen again.

He wasn’t going to be fired for getting Osuna. He also wasn’t going to be fired for trying to cover for Taubmann.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes, and he did all that coming from STL with a unblemished resume.

I get the point that some owner(s) somewhere respects him and would want him as his GM. I am merely casting some doubt to whether the baseball landscape will allow him to succeed a second time. I disagree that the media are the only ones with an axe to grind. Owners that think their team was cheated out of playoff advancement due to being defeated by the Astros will have a chip on their shoulder also. Dont think that if Jeff gets back into the mix, those owners wont act if the opportunity arises.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Believe it or not, owners aren't that passionate... either way... as long as their teams are making a profit. All it would take is one owner... perhaps one with a similar demeanor as Crane (hands off, business-like without passion) to give him a shot.

Luhnow was pretty insulated throughout the 2019 season... wasn't giving as many interviews, wasn't making road trips, was handing off some of the day-to-day duties. He can stay out of the spotlight and take care of his business that he's proven to be excellent at.

In the end, he will be hired based on his experience at rebuilding/stockpiling a farm system... and constructing a scouting/developmental staff that can focus high-level analytics towards the general MLB landscape.

There's also the fact that the future GM's that he helped foster (Elias, Stearns) haven't reached the same precipice yet. He doesn't have some system that you can merely plug/play and get similar results simply by hiring a disciple. Much like the NFL has tried to do with every coach who learned under Belichick.

9. msn

msn Member

Maybe he gets hired as a president of operations or some other fancy newfangled corporate title they hand out these days. We'll see.

Snake Diggit and Nick like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Other teams working with Luhnow is not going to be the problem.

Nick likes this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Hinch was hired on this day six years ago. :(

12. msn

msn Member

Baker has been very disappointing to me.

13. lnchan

Hard to be disappointed with low expectations...

14. msn

msn Member

His main job was to navigate the Astros through all the shade that would be thrown their way. I'm actually disappointed even in that.

HTown2017Champs and moonsh0t like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe he'll make a managerial mistake in playoffs so bad it takes the talk off the sign stealing.

16. lnchan

Maybe... we re-sign Hinch.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Man...what a joke. I won’t give them the sought after click bait but LOL at Olney saying they should resign Cora. The hypocrisy is CRAZY

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It is... but the media drives all narratives and has decided to be the judge/jury on what should or shouldn’t happen (even though the Red Sox new GM said re-hiring Cora wasn’t on the radar).

It’s also why its silly to go out on a limb and state that none of these guys will be re-instated to their former capacity (Beltran, Cora, Hinch, Luhnow).... teams will make inquiries, the media will say whatever they feel will get the most interest/clicks, and the world will still keep going.

awc713 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Losing games worked for the Red Sox.... now the media supports a Cora re-hire.

20. msn

msn Member

Red Sox rehire Cora. Media: great move!
    Astros rehire Hinch: Media gathers lynch mob.