1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to admit it...Beverley is a good player again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

After last season's garbage performances, I thought Beverley was done. He brought little to the table on offense and his defense regressed a lot. He was not contributing much to the team and at one point early on, Isaiah Canaan looked like the better (lolol) option.

His biggest asset: aggressiveness, looked like it was starting to be his undoing. He'd just pick up boneheaded foul after boneheaded foul. He couldn't make a layup either and cemented his position as one of the brick brothers.

I figured the injuries had finally caught up to him and ruined the one thing he was still good at, defense. It actually really pissed me off when we signed him again this offseason.

He has really turned it around the last few weeks though. I'm actually quite amazed by how much he has stopped sucking. It seems he's finally "healthy"

He's actually a threat on offense. Bev is a knock down (please don't jinx him) three point shooter at this point. In addition he can actually score off the dribble now. And gasp...he doesn't miss layups/floaters anymore.

I still believe he's regressed on defense and isn't the guy he was 2-3 years ago.

But for the most part his aggressiveness and energy are back. He still makes the occasional bone headed foul that leaves you scratching your head, but I feel the team can live with that given the intangibles he brings.

Let's admit it. Bev is back to contributing well and being a key player for the Rockets.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has always been a good player, who compliments Harden the best as a starter.

We missed him in the playoffs a lot, particularly against GS.

Bev has not been much of this year's problems.

DD

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

No he was garbage last year and a huge part of the reason we lost quite a few games in the regular season. He started out this season pretty bad as well. Hence why I'm actually surprised he's returned to his form from 2-3 years ago, albeit more offense minded.

He brings a lot in the playoffs, so I agree with that part at least.

4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Heart & soul of this team, period.

His passion is infectious and leads to great things.

Really hope wolverine is back!

1 person likes this.
  5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Bev's so-called regress on defense is just about playing smarter.

He came to the league as a scrub and he was hungry to prove where he belongs to play, so he was just fearless, completely fearless I mean.

But eventually those fearless plays ended up with injury after injury after injury and his body started to quit on him, so he's not taking so much unneccessary contact right now and not making some defensive plays that he used to make just to be healthy enough to stay on the court and help his team.

6. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Quoted for truth

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

His biggest contribution no doubt

8. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

And Im Ok with his "regress" on defense if it leads to watch Beverley play as a part of team rotation in the playoffs and do not watch again how Terry points a finger on Curry and decided not to run through screen to let Curry make an open three straight ahead in the next possession in a crucial moment of WCF away game

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This is a solid point.

But to go further than that, I never thought Bev played "smart" defense. He seemed off on team defense. He was just an annoying pest due to his high motor and unrelenting aggressiveness. You're right, it does seem injuries derailed that.

I think that's part of why he regressed a lot last year. He was never a smart team defender from what it seemed. But I think to some extent, he's gotten quite a bit better at that. Especially in the last few weeks.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His defense regressed when he became the starter, you can't exert all that energy for 30+ minutes a game when he was a 20mpg player he could come in and lock guys down...and nothing was expected of him on offense.

Now he has offensive responsibilities, and has to pace himself some.

He has always been good, just gets injured a bit...let's hope he stays healthy.

DD

11. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Harden soul

1 person likes this.
  12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I feel like he is just getting healthy again.

Health has been on and off and has effected his consistency, his D and possibly his shot.

It's exciting, because he's such a barometer of the team's intensity.

Not QUITE there, but full Wolverine mode isn't too far away.

13. pst257

pst257 Contributing Member

Corey Brewer is good basketball as of late also!

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is the only guy that can be counted upon to give 100% every play every night. All the other guys take plays off, in Harden's case a several plays off

The little things this guy does wins us several games. Today he got a key offensive rebound and then an assist for the Ariza trey.

he will get a key steal here and there. Not flashy box scores but highly effective. H

To me still he is best suited to a 20-24 MPG role where he can give his everything. Still limited offensively but as long as he keeps knocking open 3's, he is gold

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has been playing better than other players (Dmo, Brewer, Jones) so yup those are real contributors.He is one of the flawed players the team should be happy to keep around.

16. hakeemthagreat

I've always supported Bev. I remember some idiot made a "Bev is garbage thread" and ppl wanted him gone for a playmaker. The game isn't always about offense. Sometimes you gotta substitute offense for defense. Beverley is the best fit next to Harden

17. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

His improved shooting has been a bright spot this year. I used to hate when he drove the lane, but now I don't mind if he shoots a floater, 3 or mid range pull up shot. I'd like to see him take some more shots and get himself into the 12-14 ppg range.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's been very solid this season, the only player hitting a high clip of 3's at a high percentage. Rebounds well, is scrappy, lots of energy.

Defense still isn't all that though, he gambles too much, overplays defenders and gets blown by quite a lot, but when he's in the zone he can play some really solid D.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's made 14-22 3PT, is shooting 41.9% 3PT for the season, and has added a stepback (doesn't usually make it, but maybe he improves). He's clearly been working on his game. He's one of our few players who plays hard, not always be effective, but he plays hard. He does his usual thing getting loose balls that gain/maintain possession. Being an effort guy, his minutes/game should be closer to 20 than 25 to maximize his abilities.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

His defence has gone backwards, his shooting has improved but his play making is as bad as ever