1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It looks like James Harden and his coach to be on same side for All-Star Game One more Rockets win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

ROCKETS
    It looks like James Harden and his coach to be on same side for All-Star Game
    One more Rockets win or Spurs loss ensures Mike D'Antoni to lead them against Team LeBron

By Jonathan Feigen, Houston Chronicle

• [​IMG]
    Photo: Michael Dwyer/Associated Press
    IMAGE1OF6
    Houston Rockets head coach Mike D'Antoni stands with James Harden (13) during the third quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics in Boston, Thursday, Dec. 28, 2017. The Celtics won 99-98. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

IMAGE 1 OF 6
    Houston Rockets head coach Mike D'Antoni stands with James Harden (13) during the third quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics in Boston, Thursday, Dec. 28, 2017. The Celtics won 99-98. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

After LeBron James and Stephen Curry emerged from their super-secret NBA All-Star draft, far from the public scrutiny and debate about their selections that both said they would welcome next season, at least one thing was clear about the plan both executed.

After James chose Kevin Durant with the first pick of the draft - a pick obvious when Durant was not on Curry's team, though neither would divulge even that much of their draft order - the All-Star captains went for harmony, or at least familiarity.

That could bring the drama and storylines hidden from public view when the choices were made on a conference call, rather than in front of cameras.

It also could keep a pair of Rockets together, though that won't be determined until the Rockets win one more game (or the San Antonio Spurs lose a game) and Mike D'Antoni takes over as the Team Stephen coach with James Harden in his backcourt as usual.

TRANSLATOR
    To read this article in one of Houston's most-spoken languages, click on the button below.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    It looks like James Harden and his coach to be on same side for

In the hours before Thursday's closed-door draft, Harden and D'Antoni (likely to be the coach from the Western Conference with Steve Kerr ineligible after his All-Star turn last season) indicated they'd like it that way, though they didn't seem to care much one way or another.

As the teams took shape, however, plenty of teammates past and present were made teammates again, in some cases in intriguing reunions.

James' team kept together teammates Bradley Beal and John Wall, Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins, and James and Kevin Love. He also brought former teammates, thought to have gone through difficult breakups of varying degrees together, when he reunited with Kyrie Irving and selected Russell Westbrook to team with Durant.

Curry made sure he had the most teammates together, choosing fellow Golden State Warriors Draymond Green and Klay Thompson to join him, but he also paired Toronto's DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry, Minnesota's Karl-Anthony Towns and Jimmy Butler, and put longtime Los Angeles friends Harden and DeRozan together.

When James was unwilling to reveal the first pick of the draft, as obvious as it was, Curry followed suit. Even when TNT's Ernie Johnson assumed Curry chose Harden with his first selection. Curry hesitated and said, "I can't divulge that information."

When Johnson pressed James for his first pick, James said, "I can't tell you, man. I might have to kill you if I tell you that."

James assembled a starting lineup around him with Irving, Durant and New Orleans big men Cousins and Davis.

Curry put together a starting lineup with Joel Embiid joining him, Harden, DeRozan and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

The NBA would not release the draft order and stipulated only that the captains choose the other eight players selected as starters in a vote of the fans, players and media members before choosing from the pool of reserves chosen by the coaches.

James loaded up on former All-Star Game MVPs Davis, Westbrook, Durant and Irving, a group that with his own two All-Star MVP selections has all seven MVPs represented in the game.

James' reserves in addition to Westbrook, Love, Beal and Wall are Kristaps Porzingis and LaMarcus Aldridge. Curry's reserves in addition to his Warriors teammates are Damian Lillard, Butler, Lowry, Towns and Al Horford.

Harden said Thursday morning he did not care whether he would be selected by Curry or James, other than liking the idea of playing for D'Antoni and the Rockets' coaching staff.

"That'd be cool, too," Harden said. "I'm just happy to be there. I'm sure Mike doesn't care. We're just going to have fun and put on a show."

D'Antoni, though hesitant to discuss an honor he had not yet received, was happy to work that weekend, having enjoyed his time coaching his Phoenix Suns players Steve Nash, Amar'e Stoudemire and Shawn Marion in 2007. He said he would not look to rest Harden or play the rival Warriors extensively, instead spreading minutes equally until the closing minutes with plenty of input.

D'Antoni considered any recognition that might come his way that he was more exited about redirecting the spotlight to his staff - Jeff Bzdelik, Roy Rogers and Brett Gunning, along with the development staff John Lucas and Irv Roland.

"If, if we do it, I hate to even say the words, but it would be a great honor," D'Antoni said. "It's something that's fun. The assistant coaches … are more deserving than me. I did it once, which was fun, but I'd be even happier for all the people around that make this happen.

"I'd get more joy out of that than anything. People would see what I experience every day."

Simply 'the best'

Harden went a step further, saying his fellow All-Stars would get a feel for the Rockets' bench.

"It's how cool they are," he said. "They're the coolest coaching staff in the league, the best coaching staff as well. Their execution, their personality, overall from top to bottom, the best.

"Other players will get an opportunity to see how cool (D'Antoni) is."

Of course, most coaches can be laid back on All-Star Weekend. This season, with Curry and James choosing teams, the NBA hoped the players will not be so casual, at least not when on the court, even if the draft order itself was kept under wraps.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

What team is Chandler parsons on?

3. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

swag champs

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I hate how there's nothing on the line during the All-Star game. Makes it boring to watch most years...doesn't the MLB award home-court advantage for whichever conference wins their All-Star game? I know something that drastic wouldn't fly in the NBA (especially with the new team format) but there HAS to be some kind of incentive added

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the only reason why its boring to people is bc no defense is played. well when youre in the era of being babied and rest/minutes/injuries are this huge priority what do you expect.

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

True, and the lack of defense comes from the low stakes. I just wish there was some motivating factor do get them to care about the outcome...maybe the team captain format will help, we'll see

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

the lack of defense comes from it being a break from the season. where guys disregard what team they represent, put all that to the side and can enjoy the brand they work for w/ their peers

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

He was snubbed...

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They need to put a ton of money into a prize. Winning team gets the whole prize divided among the players (with starters getting more) and donated to either their personal foundation or a charity of their choosing in their name.

Bobby the Brain Heenan taught me that guys will go nuts if you put a bunch of cash in a bag and let the winner have it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently this years game added the charity aspect to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NBA_All-Star_Game

On October 3, 2017, the NBA announced that the format would change from the traditional Eastern Conference versus Western Conference format, and would instead switch to a draft-style format, similar to the format used by the NHL All-Star Game from 2011 through 2015 and the NFL Pro Bowl from 2014 through 2016. The team captains will be determined by the most votes received in their respective conference. Each team will pick a charity to play for, and the winning team will have money donated to their charity.[3]

11. AXG

AXG Member

Mike should play the Warriors, TWolves and Spurs players about 40+ mins

D-rock and Stormy1234 like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The issue there is that why does Dame Lillard care about helping the steph curry foundation or whatever?

Like I said, prize money for each player on the winning team to get donated to their personal foundation or a charity of their choice. The donation is in their name so they get the tax write-off.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

maybe. either way i dont think theres really much you can do as far as the all star game.

its really just comes down to the players themselves taking it more seriously. but when its their time to take a break from the season and just enjoy, its obviously pretty difficult to do so especially with all the partying

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Team Gay... not to be mistaken with Rudy Gay.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is he still in the league? or is he playing in China somewhere? :cool:

D-rock, Stormy1234 and Pen15clubber like this.
  16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

They haven’t selected the G League all stars yet

AXG, Stormy1234 and Pen15clubber like this.
  17. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.