1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It feels like we are doomed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by backwardhead, May 5, 2020.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

The state of Texas is beginning to open up and as far as I can tell there is no real "plan" guiding the steps that we do so. It feels to me like "we" have decided that lives are less important than profits and that social darwinism is in full effect. Whatever...I hope Greg Abbott is sitting in the front row of his church this Sunday and enjoying the sand on the beaches in Galveston. For that matter, I hope all the social darwinists are the first to enjoy the re-opening of the state.

No Worries likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There will be people who will fall through the cracks in the new normal. Be more empathetic and don't give into the Purge mentality.

Social isolation and remote devices is accelerating decline in connecting with each other and the community. It was getting more noticeable with every new generation.

The mess in 08 was partly caused by bankers who made deals with people/groups they never met face to face. It was easier to make mercenary or terrible decisions without that human interaction.

If you want to make a difference, staying connected in person is the place to start. But I admit it's much easier to disengage through our phones.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe because it's a gloomy day here but I'm really feeling pessimistic about where we are as a country and where we might be going.

The combination of our failure to contain a pandemic while also political chaos having a narcissistic and amoral President all point to deep problems in our society. These problems point to not just deep divisions and polarization but also a lack of empathy or common vision. Too much including how we respond to the disease is about tribal identity and a zero sum view of things. That's why even those that acknowledge how deadly this disease is will still argue against efforts to combat it on the basis that only the elderly, obese or those with other risk factors are going to die. This was summed up very succinctly by the Lt. Gov. Patrick when he said "some things are more important than living."

At the same time these are the same people who will rail about a 'culture of life' and how they are "pro-life."

We see a willingness to undermine the trust and faith in our electoral system to keep a candidate in power even though by most objective measures has lost. This is justified by an extremist view that those on the other side are not just political opponents but evil so not just faith in our system but things like basic dignity and character are worth being sacrificed as long as your side can win.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

OP,

Tennessee isn't much better. My wife teaches for Metro Nashville Public schools and they have tried several times to transition to being in person and the cases keep getting worse and worse in Davidson county. Now, they have decided to go virtual for the rest of this semester. The pandemic has been a problem for several reasons:

1) We have an absolute idiot as President who unfortunately holds a lot of sway over people who has consistently downplayed how serious the virus is. A lot of this has to do with the mentality that he is a businessman first and they hold profits and the bottom line, almighty dollar more powerful than people's lives. The governor of Tennessee is another former businessman who has really waffled on what to do in terms of the pandemic.

2) America/The US has always been looked at, whether it is fair or not, a country where people can do pretty much whatever they want because of FREEDOM. Sadly, we have way too many people who think that being forced to wear a mask or having to socially distance is infringing on their freedoms. So of course there is a pushback.

3) Some people have grown tired of staying cooped up indoors. My family have been self-quarantining since the middle of March. With the exception of seeing my parents and my wife's parents, we go nowhere. We even have stopped getting takeout/drive through food. And this has absolutely killed me as the cabin fever has made me delirious a loooooong time ago. But I resist going out unless it is needed (like a trip to the grocery store or to get gas) because I feel it is the right thing to do. Yet, I do have some sympathy for people who feel like that they can't take the cabin fever aspect of this thing any longer.

For the first time I can ever remember, I am not even celebrating Thanksgiving with my parents due to this thing. We just have to hold on and hope that a vaccine is available soon (and from reading stuff, it seems like that could be the case). In the meantime, continue to wear a mask when you are around other people and social distance. Just because we have a lot of idiots out there doesn't mean that you have to follow their lead.

Blatz, cwebbster, TWS1986 and 2 others like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There was once a guy who said "If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for he ain't fit to live" when talking about the civil rights and civil liberties that our authoritarian friends wish to eliminate out of fear of a virus that affects a small fraction of a percent of the population. What a dummy right?

I would agree about being pessimistic about where we are as a country, but not for the same reason as you. Seeing the rise of Karens who desperately plead for tyrannical use of power by the government in order to control what those around them are allowed to do in their own homes is disgusting.

It seems there are no liberty minded people left in any major political party. It seems like everyone wants to be able to use the force of government to tell others how to live their lives and that always leads to bad things.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with OP.......

The pandemic has increased the speed of some of the negative events happening in the USA, but it isn't the root cause.

We live in a country with little commonality. A country where one of the two major political parties has allowed a President to humiliate the USA and as of this post still claims that the election has fraudulently been stolen from him. I am seeing people in positions of power have zero concern for the good of the country and only their short term profits.

There is a complete lack of empathy by large segments of this country and there is little that bonds us all together. News sources on the right purposely push false and inaccurate things that only divide the country and the left will without doubt, soon follow suit. The truth no longer matters, and the concept of country over party is largely gone.

We will see what happens but I am not very optimistic.

8. droxford

droxford Member

Thread belongs in D&D

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Obligatory...

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Not even a phrase of the year for 2020

I nominate side hustle

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't know what your background is OP (you're probably barely a HS grad)

But I had 40 highly educated friends over to my place a few days ago (several of which are medical professionals) Everything is normal here in my life.

i'm not lonely

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This goes to another problem. The overheated rhetoric. The efforts we've seen to combat this disease aren't authoritarian. While they are restriction that do affect many people negatively economically and socially this isn't anywhere near authoritarian.

The other day there was a protest out side of the MN Governor's residence over these restrictions. That is hardly the sign of authoritarianism or giving up essential liberty.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's just a difference of opinion, some have a LOT more tolerance for the whims of authoritarian government nonsense than others do.

Some think it's just fine for the government to scale back their rights and liberties and tell them they aren't allowed to make a living, or to leave their home, or to celebrate holidays with their families. Others see that as a problem.

Of course there's always an excuse for why we "need" authoritarian rule, and why stealing from the people is the right thing to do...but you'll have to accept that some will always reject that kind of thing out of principle alone.

They can suggest, they can ask, but they should not be allowed to actually strip the people of their rights, no matter what their excuse for it is.

Also, as far as excuses go, COVID-19 is a pretty weak one.

That said, this probably belongs with the garbage down in the D&D, let's not pollute the Hangout with it.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We cant even get a PS5 out here.

BA1990 and Surfguy like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

PSPoor is standard in College Station, or Highway 6, whichever comes first

16. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Sons team has been practicing since April, Had a few tournaments in LA and OK before Texas opened up May 15ish? Have pretty much taken him to practice or a the gym 4 days a week since. He is online schooled only that we are waiting for the new house to be completed and didn't want to change schools.

Since May we have played Houston numerous times as well as DFW area, Beaumont and a few more trips to LA. Staying in a hotel in LA back in May for the first time was a little nerve wracking and sucked with the pools closed due to Covid. Kids had fun, the team and families all had fun and we met and interacted with great people everywhere we have went. Masks, social distancing whatever is your pleasure, there are some great people out there all just trying to move along knowing the chances weighing the risks and enjoying the game of baseball with family and friends.

No way I am just going to sit on my couch without sunlight and fresh air, until I catch the Diabetes and then die of Covid.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

it felt a lot more 'doomed' after september 11th..

this was a virus and a terrible president one term impeached loser

18. BA1990

BA1990 Member

They're their there OP.

IBTL likes this.
  19. BA1990

BA1990 Member

Couldn't agree more. Our loser president (soon to be former) is a joke.

IBTL likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This country has has a hard time striking a balance during this pandemic. The reality is, the whole country does not need to be shut down and individuals don't have to be hiding out in their bunker for an extended period of time. However, the lack of common sense has prevented individuals from practicing simple hygienic measures to keep themselves safe and others safe.

I'll admit, I still do take out, I've gone to eat at places (outdoors only) and I'll meet up with people (outdoors only). I don't meet up with people often but I do see others every once in a while. I haven't been to my wife's family gatherings since they meet indoors.

Ultimately, it is about the individual learning to manage the risk, with the government stepping in when there are outbreaks that need to be contained. Unfortunately, individuals are not good at managing their risk and end up in high exposure situations. Take for instance this Thanksgiving, many are going to have large family gatherings and which will likely lead to large outbreaks. I would say, keep family gatherings to a minimum and limit the amount of people you interact with and hold the event outdoors to at least reduce the risk of spreading infection. Instead, we will have people gathering inside houses, tightly packed, which will likely lead to many getting sick.

Part of the issue has been failed leadership and a lack of cohesive messaging across the board. The other part is that as individuals, some of us have failed to assess and manage the risk correctly.

Those hiding out will likely have some mental issues that are born out of this, while those that don't give a **** and are out and about without practicing hygienic measures are going to eventually catch this **** and have a chance of developing long term physical health issues assuming they don't die. You have to strike a balance. Based on research, the main spreader of this is aerosols. You getting take out is not likely to go give you COVID, even going to pick up your food is not likely to give you COVID. You sitting in an open, outdoor space, well you are socially distances (which is possible in restaurants I been to) you are likely not to catch COVID. I guess my point is that we have to be vigilant as individuals and the government has to be better about managing regions and areas as outbreaks occur.

Unfortunately, even after so many months, some governments (looking at you Texas) has not gotten their **** together.