1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Klay Thompson better than Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Feb 26, 2016.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

I wrote in the GARM thread that Kevin Martin is pretty much the same player as Klay Thompson and people seem to find it funny. Yes he's older and at the end of his career but numbers don't lie.

Klay is at his 5th season. Here's his season's average, in red:

[​IMG]

In red is Kevin Martin's 5th season average

[​IMG]

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Different types of players, but prime Martin was a very good player. As too who was better, eh, who knows, I'd lean Thompson just because of how rare a caliber of team that GS is.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm a fan of Kevin Martin and think he is one of the more underrated offensive players of his generation, howeva, Thompson is a much better defensive player than Kevin Martin ever was.

Kevin Martin was no joke though and it's amazing how many people shrug him off just because he got stuck being the best player on the Rockets team that got crippled by injury.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No. Thompson's better because he provides at least passable defense.

Prime Kevin Martin would have been absurd on this Warriors team, though.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

People only remember Kevin Martin now. Fans forgot how good Martin was in the past so they will think this comparison is ridiculous.

I'm leaning Thompson though.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. arjun

arjun Member

klay's defense and ability to "explode" offensively makes him far superior. Not to mention, klay can score for you down the stretch.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

2 things i forget sometimes...Kevin martin used to get the line over 10 times a game..crazy. The other is that Joe Johnson used to shoot 48% from 3 while taking 4.5 a game for an entire season. Crazzzzy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Kevin Martin plays zero defense. Even worse than Harden. I have no qualms about his offense other than his tendency to disappear completely in the fourth quarter, and his overreliance on getting to the line.
    He's a great system player and would fit in perfectly with Golden State, what with all the cuts and screens they run, but GS would be worse swapping him with Klay because of the defensive discrepancies between the two.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

easily klay.

but I thought a poster around here wanted to say Steph Curry is basically kevin martin with dribbles lol

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

People obviously forget how good Martin was when he was on those Sacramento teams, but I'd still give the nod to Thompson simply because of the potential from years 6-10. I think Thompson is more durable, a better shooter, and a better defender. But it's not a laughable comparison by any means.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Klay is better. He is deadlier when he catches fire and he plays solid defense, though a bit overrated on that side because people are used to seeing so many bad defenders these days.

Kevin Martin played during a time where players took advantage of the get a player in the air and jump into him even if it's out of the way for automatic free throws and the sweep under the defenders arm. 2 things which KMart used a hell of a lot and has been irrelevant ever since the refs cracked down on it.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Kevin Martin is like James Harden, great one dimensional player. Thompson doesn't have the offensive skills those two have, but he plays average defense, that says a lot.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In the GARM thread you said current Martin was comparable to Klay, thus the lulz at your expense.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, OP shouldn't change the narrative.

15. mig0s

mig0s Member

I didn't mean 'currently'. I know that's what it sounded like lol but what I mean is that they are the same types of player. Like when people compare Ron Artest with Rodman.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Kevin Martin never ever ever played defence.
    And he was the flopmaster. When they made the change to the rip through, his FT attempts died in the butt.

Close offensively, but overall big distance between the 2.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I love how you compared Kmart's best year and ignored the rest of them. Also you're completely disregarding that Thompson has better numbers in 7 less minutes per game. Not to mention Martin put those numbers up on a garbage team, Klay Thompson has to share the ball with the (soon to be) greatest shooter of all time and another allstar among others.

Let's not even discuss Kmart's defense or his ugly ass shot form. Stop trying to make Kevin Martin a thing.

18. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Many others have noted that the disparity in defense kills this comparison.

But even as a scorer, this comparison falls short. Take a gander at their respective eFG% in that comparison. .491 for Martin vs. .566 for Thompson. Thompson scores his points far more efficiently.

So yeah, if you ignore efficiency and defense, they're a great match.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao, alright..

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. J Hard

J Hard Member

Hes joking guys, not a serious thread. Only morons would think this.