1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it too early for the TWolves might actually be good one day soon thread?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jun 25, 2015.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean, assuming they take Townes, they would have not one but two young potentially elite players at their positions in the future. Let's say they manage to get a mid lotto pick too and pick up just a starting quality player to fill out one of their other positions, this could be a potentially really good young team. Let's say Townes is at least as good as Boogie and Wiggins can at least be as good as a 2 way Paul George/Jimmy Butler type player - this could be an interesting team. Right?

...of course this is the TWolves but who wouldn't want to at least start with those two building blocks? The TWolves might accidentally be good a few years from now after years of ineptitude. This deserves a thread!

...hopefully this thread doesn't get resurrected a few seasons from now with a "Townes out for season with microfracture surgery" update and they suddenly suck again but the good people of 'Sota deserve to catch a break at some point.

SubE likes this.
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Rubio-Lavine-Wiggins-Payne-Towns.

LaVine and Wiggins are still 2-3 years away.
    Towns will be even further away and may only end up being a poor man's DJ.

T'Wolves need a better coach, and they need a significantly better bench. Also Rubio? Think he's fool's gold.

3. xaos

xaos Member

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

They are really close...Thought they'd make the jump last year, but they needed more post production. Towns will help. And Wiggins makes the superstar leap this season...Minny will be competing for the 8th spot this season. Someone is not making it...my guess...Dallas.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Pelicans Minny Lakers Blazers will be fighting for 8th spot.

1-4: Warriors, Rockets, Clippers, Thunder.
    5-7: Spurs, Grizzlies, Mavericks

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

false

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ha - can't wait to see a two story banner hanging outside of their stadium with a picture of Wiggins/Towns and the only words are #soon.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes. Yes it is.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

they won't even hit .500 this season

10. xaos

xaos Member

Haha.

All joking aside, I think Wiggins has MVP potential. The best part about it is, he seems to be all about his business.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I was assuming they would lose Rubio to get a mid lotto pick. I don't think that highly of Lavine but he does have athleticism for days if nothing else which can be taken advantage of if he is just a cut to the basket type of guy. I think Towns being a poor man's DJ is the absolute worst case for him - it's more likely he will be at least as good as DJ if not significantly better. The sports science video of him hitting 3 after 3 and handling the ball so well was scary for a guy of his size. Wiggins could be Jimmy Butler at worst and Scottie Pippen at best.

Benches are built around stars - they just need the bones first. Agree that they need the type of coach and vets in there to mold those young guys. It might not be a bad idea to overpay a guy like David West to come be a mentor on that roster(assuming Garnett retires)

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree - I definitely see shades of young Kobe there without the cockiness.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait. They traded their best player Love for a youth movement and you that they'd make their move then? They went into tank mode to get a good pick. That was the whole point

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Nice to see my Wolves getting some love. I wouldn't be shocked if they are in playoff contention - Wiggins, Towns, Dieng, Lavine, Bennett, is a crazy young collection of talent, and Rubio, Martin, and Pekovic are all solid. People forget the Timberwolves were actually fairly competitive when the starters weren't injured, and for some reason everyone seems to be sleep on Kevin Martin for his entire career? I swear, he is like the leading scorer of his team every season, and then when the media talks about that team they act like he's not even on the team. I remember when the Rockets were doing the whole "New Age" movement, and K-Mart wasn't even present in the pictures. He was easily the Timberwolves most consistent scorer last year, and was able to get up in the 30+ point games numerous times.

15. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

He shot 81% from the FT that alone makes his floor at least a regulars man DJ right?

16. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Shabazz also looked good last year when healthy.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Rubio-Martin-Wiggins-Townes-Pekovic

And they have depth with Shabazz, Dieng, Gary Neal, LaVine, Budinger... yeah, if healthy they should be solid.

18. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I'd expect them to try and trade Pekovic.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

They have a good future, but rare is the team that is immediately good just by having multiple future superstars. Still a top-8 lottery team.

20. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Milwaukee is one example. Rare, Wolves can't win in the West yet, but 2-3 years they'll be up there with the elite maybe.