1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Only if they're cute.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I pay $20 for a haircut. So subtract whatever it is you're charging me, and the rest is your tip.

#82 Haymitch, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Can someone explain to me why I pay 2 bucks delivery fee and then I have to tip the driver on top of that? All the drivers tell me the delivery fee don't go to them...

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I worked as a waiter for roughly 3-4 years in college so I know how awful it is to get stiffed on a tip. At the same time, I think they should just do away with the whole system. Include it in the price of the food.

5. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Overpriced "gourmet" food trucks expecting a tip is the worse...

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

How would you guys tip at a place like Hopdoddy?

You go to the counter to tell the person your order then they give you a number to sit down at a table. They also give you cups for soda or water. There's a soda/water and ice machine where you can get the drinks yourself.

A waiter comes by and then asks if you need anything and can also get you your drinks. He then delivers food to your table and gives you your check later.

I'm not sure why they have waiters there since you can do everything yourself. But how much do you tip at a place like this especially if all the waiter does is drop off your food at the table?

Part of me feels like the only reason they do that is so they can avoid paying the servers minimum wage since the servers can collect tips.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't tip to any counter service place or for to-go orders, unless I ask for off-menu things.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gotta love the square tipping propt where you have to literally press "no tip"

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

So just left a drive-thru for Antones Subs and they had a damn cup with the word tips on it. WTF?!?!? :eek:

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Agreed. I never tip when I pick up food. As far as I'm concerned, no one waited on me. They just brought me a bag or box with my order in it. And on those very rare occasions I do order a pizza to be delivered, I factor in the "delivery charge" when calculating my tip. No double dipping for the restaurant.

Otherwise though when sitting down at a restaurant or bar, I tip anywhere from 15-20% depending on the service and how much I ordered.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

There is literally a person bringing food FROM A RESTAURANT TO YOUR FRONT DOOR.

The fact that some of you guys are not only so cheap and lazy, but so shameless about it, is frankly mind-boggling to me.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you really think the person delivering the food isn't being paid?

Tipping was reserved for exceptional service for those who went beyond the call of duty. Now its nothing more than shameful pan handling. And its worse when people feel you are expected to tip. Most servers at low to middle end restaurants treat their patrons as an inconvenience. Anything more than taking their order, bringing them their food and refilling their drink a couple times demands a 25%+ tip in their minds.

13. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Whenever I get those receipts without the tip section, I'm taken aback.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When I go pick up a pizza and there's a line for the tip, I mark a line through it. Cuz that's BS.

I do the same when I pickup food from most places. I do leave a tip if I ordered a lot and they go through everything with me to make sure they didn't leave anything out, or if I ordered a lot and they take it out to my car for me. But if I get a couple po boys from Catfish Station - where all they do is put them in a box and then give me that box - I leave no tip.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I pretty much always tip. Servers and bartenders usually get 30-40% from me, which is very generous considering most of the bill is (overpriced) alcohol.

Saw a guy with a $39.11 bill, he gives the server two 20's and says keep the change. I'd be scared to eat there again.

If you really want to be an ass, put a huge 0 on the tip line.

Depends how good their slush is.

16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I will tip for counter service if the people are extremely nice and the food comes out really quickly.

Or at Freebirds, sometimes I'll be getting an order for the entire family. So if they do that quickly, I'll give a tip.

About the delivery thing. Those people are getting paid, so the tip should be mainly about covering their gas expenses. Most delivery places are relatively close to their delivery zones, so gas shouldn't really be that much. I mean, people aren't delivering pizzas more than 15+ miles away from the pizza place. I'll tip, but I'm not throwing out 10s.

I agree that tipping should be for exceptional service. So when the pizza guy comes to the door and is just like "hey, here's your pizza" and doesn't seem like in a good mood, do some small talk or whatever, they may get a smaller tip.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'm tired of tipping God. Every time I go to church, it's pay to pray. If there's one being that doesn't need gratuity, it's the Almighty.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

After a great deal of thought and introspection, I have come to the conclusion that it is without a doubt ... you.

:D

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The only thing mind-boggling is you tipping 20%.

Newsflash -- it is THEIR JOB to deliver food FROM A RESTAURANT TO MY FRONT DOOR.

They get paid to do it. The restaurant often times charges me more for a delivery fee. And you want me to tip 20% on top of that? For what, doing their job?

I bet you think to-go servers deserve a hearty tip for taking your cash and putting food in a bag. I mean what exceptional service, how can you not tip 20%?!

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's a janitor's JOB to clean up, so why not leave a mess for them.... smh

Most delivery drivers make minimum wage. It takes more than gas money to keep his/her job going.