1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it me or tipping getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 26, 2016.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I don't think anyone is arguing about tipping a waiter/waitress (unless it could just be worked into the meal price), but the to go order thing...Typically I see a person there for the majority of the night (like they're working a fast food window). If they're only getting paid $2.40, then for sure tip...but seems like that should be the like a host/hostess job and not a waiter/waitress pay. But someone at Baskin Robbins or working inside dominoes isn't making $2.40, which is what this thread was about. Ditto on the haircut thing. But that's why I go to some Koreans who charge $6.

Anyway, I've had friends who worked as waitresses or waiters. They never quit, even though they "never got tipped enough". Heck, my girlfriend (now wife) would complain about not getting tipped, but end up making like $300 on an 8 hour shift. 300/8=37.5/hr. Sorry, you can't complain about making more than some professional people on a shift, while only using minimum skills.

Also had a buddy who delivered pizza. Drove an F150. Would complain because his tips didn't cover his gas. Bro - you're driving an F150, clearly you picked the wrong type of job for the tool you're using. It'd be like using a chain saw to split chop sticks.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Here's my first world tip rant...

Went to the Astros game a couple of weeks back, bought myself and a friend a beer from the beer guy that goes up and down the aisles...so, two beers, I think it came out to about $15.

I hand the guy a $20, he kind of glances at two other people with me then says "you good?", which I thought was his way of asking if I needed any more beers, so when I say "yeah" he quickly turns around and leaves.

In what world is a $5 tip on a $15 purchase expected? :rolleyes:

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

$5 is a bit much, but beer guys at ball games deserve tips. They lug around the beer. They save me from walking out of my seat and standing in line.

I tend to hand the guy the money and say, "Just give me $2.00 (or whatever) back".

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Agreed, I usually do $2 or $3 if I buy from them, just don't think they feel entitled to a $5 tip

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, that's decent ($2/3), I mean unless you're buying like crazy amount, but yeah $5 on $15 for 2 drinks... ****... We're already getting strip club gouged on the drinks

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I try to tip my wife everyday, but sometimes she's only accepting tips once or twice a week. :(

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Anyway for me... I tip 20% for decent service then down some if it's waiters/waitresses fault (not keeping drinks filled, disappearing when it's not crazy overbooked etc etc), if it's something out of their control I don't take it out on them (chef sucked etc). Exceptional service I'll go up more than the 20%. I also treat all the servers with respect, ask how they're doing etc, it seems to help vs ruining their day like some assholes do. I mean just because you're having a ****ty day, it's still not cool to be a jackass.

Also on a side note, about tips section w/ cc payment at pizza place/takeout.. It's a Default terminal/setting for the whole restaurant (someone mentioned part of this), for example if you order online and they deliver you can add tip at the door during delivery. It's not like some guilt feature for tipping :) when you're picking up your own takeout/pizza most people don't expect a tip if they're just working the counter and you're picking up the order yourself. I mean they're making normal wages and not like the drivers/servers (depending on location). This section for tipping would be there too if you were doing pickup for a restaurant that doesn't do delivery but does have servers.

8. SuraGotMadHops

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It is hard to quit when you get the money the same day. $300 is def not the norm......I had shifts where I would make $30 in 4 hours. Mainly during lunches though where meals are cheaper, so you end up with 15% of $10 over and over. It all just depends. I will say women make way better tips. The most I ever made in 1 day was probably $200 or so working 9 or 10 hours which i thought was good. I did make $140 during a shift but it was from a massive party. As far as to go orders, some places hire you at minimum wage with the promise of tips. I would say it is only necessary if you have a very large order. I never expected a tip but usually would get a dollar here or there....anything helped. I delivered food too for a while. There is usually a delivery charge that is supposed to cover gas but some places take the delivery charge and just have the drivers take the tips....so it is worth it to ask who gets it when you are considering your tip.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not on Facebook and have never had an Instagram, but if those are the people you are following I think you're doing it wrong.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you don't like to tip more than $2 get everything to go.

I do it all the time.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I tip, but I don't know why:
    Taxi Cab Driver
    Barber
    Bartender

I feel like they deserve a tip:
    Waitress
    Luggage
    Concierge
    Room service or stadium
    Valet

I do not tip:
    Food Pickup
    Hailing me a cab
    Tour guide

13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Did you claim 100% of your tips for taxes?

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I like to support the local economy by tipping at least 50%.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we need to end the exception that allows anyone to be paid less than minimum wage

Rocket River

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

My rant for this thread

one random Rockets game this past season, I got my food, walked up to condiments section to get napkins and straw, got my straw, the lady that sweeps the floor handed me napkins with a smile, then asked for tip, I walked away as if I didn't know English....

I complained about it in my "surveys" they send to STH every few games

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All the workers from the TC do this ****. From the garage valet to the candy cart pusher. I think Les doesn't pay them enough.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've always maintained that everyone should spend some time working in a service industry either as a waiter, cook, fast food, etc.

Having done so you would never complain about tipping.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Y'all still tippin?

[​IMG]

20. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I like tipping my strippers accordingly and even recycle the dollars from the floor. The more you tip the more they let you grab.