1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Giannis Antetokounmpo the future best player in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Talk about not knowing anything about the player you're evaluating. Giannis' PER is 2nd in the league, higher than Harden's. Dude plays elite defense and averages 24 points, 6 assists, and 9 rebounds.

This guy is 21 and will be making the All Star team this year and every single year for a long time. A few AS appearances? Please pay attention to NBA basketball, no offense.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I called this years ago and stated we should draft up or later trade for him. All my predictions is c*m tru

3. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Giannis alongside Harden would be sexy

MJ & Pippen 2.0

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

When he's got momentum and he's running full steam to the basket - he reminds me a lot like LeBron - in that they're both unstoppable in that situation.

The Middleton injury may very well just be the best thing that happened to Milwaukee.

Mathloom and MorningZippo like this.
  5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Good player now, maybe even great when he start shooting better. But I'm still putting money on Anthony Davis on being the best player in the NBA.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Paul george /hayward type player? Lol people havent been paying attention to what giannis has been doing... his numbers are historical this year. Btw he's 22 not 21.

malakas likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Not only he will be in the all star game he will be a starter most likely.
    With the improvement he has made in December along with his consistency now I can with a clear consience say he's top 10 player.
    He has added 2 new moves in a month smfh. A turnaround jumper and a small hook shot.

Mathloom likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

before forcing the turnover off rose's hip and then making the turnaround gamewinner, he actually choked badly on the few plays before that. he's not a very confident shooter

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Still concerned by his inability to hit the three at a high clip but outside of that he is looking very nice. Making a very strong case for elite status already, scary stuff.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool.

Upcoming star who is going to replace the Hardens, the Westbrooks, the Durants and the Currys.

11. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Can someone trade-machine him and Brewer? Throw in a late second rounder and I can't see why they'd turn that down.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Giannis is a superstar. He requires a double team and his length and athleticism gives teams fit. A couple of years ago Morey tried to trade for him when he was 19 and was almost a success. He is probably the best 2 way player in the league at the moment. One poster mentioned his PER is 2nd and for you stat geeks, that is better than Harden. This dude is 21 years old. Again, Harden is no Jordan, as some of you say, and more Gilbert Arenas like, but Giannis is a closer version of modern Pippen on steroids.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Harden is more like Gilbert Arenas like??????? Kemba Walker is Arenas like.

14. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

really happy for a small market team like milwaukee to have a franchise player.

he can get his once harden brings a few trophies to houston.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has a higher PER than harden. He is a beast. Apparently Cuban nixed the mavs from getting him.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No he's not. He is a good player, but not Superstar worthy.

17. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

my favorite non-rockets player to watch.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you think Olajuwon is too long a name for people to recognize as the best player, try Antetokounmpo.

RasaqBoi and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope he can be at least better than a certain Kawhi Leonard.

20. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I'd say top 4-5 but not THE best. Let's skip ahead 7 years (he would be 28 and in his prime) to 2024. I'd guess that the top 10 players in the 2024 NBA will be:

1. Karl Anthony-Towns
    2. Anthony Davis
    3. Kawhi Leonard
    4. Gianis Antetokounmpo
    5. Andrew Wiggins
    6. DeMarcus Cousins
    7. Jabari Parker
    8. Rudy Gobert
    9. Kristaps Porzingis
    10. Kyrie Irving

Honorable Mentions: Joel Embiid, Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, De'Angelo Russell

Obviously the order is a total guess and there could be players from the next couple of NBA drafts who might quickly climb onto this list, depending on how quickly they develop and adapt to the NBA game. Needless to say, if Milwaukee plays their cards right I think they will win at least one NBA Championship with those two beasts.

Durant (35), LeBron (39), Harden (34), Westbrook (33), Curry (35), and George (33) will likely all still be making an impact, but they will all be past their primes and probably not top 10 players. Time will tell.

#40 rocketsfan611, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017