1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[iPhone App] Opera Mini

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Opera just submitted their new browser for the iPhone, the Opera Mini, to Apple for approval. Watch the below video. This thing is so much faster than Safari.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpTCS3g-cBY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpTCS3g-cBY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

link

Can you feel the tension? Opera is now in the throes of the App Store approval process. The wait is on to see if Apple will loosen its grip and approve the fast (very fast) Opera Mini browser for iPhone app that we checked out at MWC. Remember, Opera Mini relies on Opera's servers to render and compress pages before sending them back to the iPhone for display. As such, there's no code interpretation being done by the software -- a definite no no for approval. So the only thing that could cause Apple to reject the app would be a perceived duplication of core iPhone functionality even though it already approved several WebKit-based browsers. Whatever happens, this is going to be good.

Update: Opera just threw up a counter tracking how long the approval process has taken. You know, 'cause everyone likes to be backed into a corner. Makes you wonder if Opera is serious about this or just doing it for the publicity -- one of several angles we mulled earlier. ​

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

This would be awesome.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So here's where I am confused, well, not confused... heck, I'm confused even before I start talking about the iPhone, but I digress... let's get back on topic... :eek:
    What's going to happen when mealeons of peeps have this browser on their iPhone...? Won't Opera's servers get filled with requests and pages will load on everyone's iPhones slower? :confused:

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's a good point. Crazy Scandinavians!

btw...'mealeons'...HAHAHAA

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SwoLy-D again.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Seeing how a large number of sites I visit with normal Opera don't render / display correctly, I don't know that I'd use it or not. That said, it is awfully fast in this demo. Swoly brings up a good point though regarding a bogging down of the system they use to serve this data, even if he did misspell "millions." :eek:

I'm also guessing it's best suited where mainly text is involved, judging by normal compression standards.

Also, why would Apple care too much if someone uses Opera instead of Safari on their phone? Maybe there's a good reason, but can't think of one. I guess I'm saying, there may BE tension, but I can't say I 'feel' it.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Oh, my. He did spell it correctly!

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

:eek: Muahahahahaha...!
    That's what SHE said. :(

7. tested911

tested911 Member

Ok but this Opera Mini 5 is just plain awesome.. I don't have a fancy 3g Iphone but have a company Blackberry 8900 that only has 2G... It loads web pages frigin FAST!!! Well fast for 2g.. So I saw it's a thumbs up for me.

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

If, somehow, Apple turned this down for distribution in the app store, could Opera legally distribute this for jailbroken phones through cydia et al.?

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't see why they couldn't but I think Opera wants to go more mainstream (via AppStore). Getting onto the AppStore could lead to bigger and better things for the developers.

10. BetterThanI

Of course, that goes without saying. But Apple has been known to shut out apps they think will compete a little too well with what they offer. After all, they said "no" to Google Voice and have denied Opera before. I'd just hate to see this product disappear entirely.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I am getting this either way, on app store or Cydia unless they charge for it.

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

We all know Apple won't be approving this any time soon. If anything, they'll find something to sue over.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't know, but Apple is ****ing stupid....err evil geniuses. They need to allow Adobe flash player on the iphone. They make people jailBREAK their phones purposely who want to use it to do totally legal things on the net causing people to buy the newer iphone when their phone finally gives the error message.

14. BetterThanI

It's just been released. Using it right now. Seems pretty quick on 3G. Me likey.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

i use it on my nokia and it's an awesome browser

16. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

It's pretty quick. Much quicker than that POS Safari. It need to fix the zoom.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Its clutch.net not com.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No flash.

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

And by the way, it's a FLASH site.