1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, May 21, 2009.

1. what

what Member

I have been wrestling with the idea that Firefox was a terrible browser and gotten painfully slow. I began looking at other browsers recently and tried opera. It was absolutely terrible in my opinion.

I just downloaded i.e. version 8 and I have to say that this is one sleek browser. I love the layout and the speed seems extremely good. If it isn't up there with opera is it darn close.

Anyway, what do you guys think about it. Has anybody else tried this browser yet?

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Chrome is pretty darn quick as well you should test that out.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

It loads in the same amount of time firefox loads for me. Firefox is still my choice. Maybe you have some apps slowing down you Computer???

4. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Firefox is known for their add-ons such as Adblock, Better Gmail, etc.

For simply browsing the net, Chrome is cleaner and should be quicker. Don't forget p*rn mode too ;)

I have no gripes with IE 8 (preinstalled with Windows 7) so far though. It doesn't hurt to have all three, really.

EDIT: I forgot the one thing I don't like about IE is its inability to process advanced CSS codes. As an amateur web developer it frustrates me to no end. IE8 does not appear to have solved that problem. It probably doesn't make a difference for the average users though...

#4 Microfridge, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  5. what

what Member

Firefox was extremely frustrating for me. It froze up, leaked memory. In a word it was terrible. If you haven't tried i.e. 8 I urge you to look at it. It is unbelievable to me, upon first impression.

6. Stack24

yeah i have all the browsers on my computer and i guess i just go back and forth on what i use. I probably would say 90% Firefox, 5% chrome, 4% Other, 1% IE

7. Stack24

it used to leak memory a lot in the past i know but it has been really good since they update it more and more. Haven't had the same problems.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I tried Chrome over the weekend because I was under the impression that it took up less space than Firefox. Not true at all. I ended up removing it from my system and sticking with Firefox.

I've tried IE 8 as well, and it takes forever to load. Once I removed all the Firefox add-ons that I didn't use (about 7 or 8), it's been going a LOT faster.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

pretty weird to have this thread open and see "Internet Explorer 8" as the title in my Start Bar (since I don't have IE 8 on this machine.. and even if I did, i'd expect a blank window with that title)

10. what

what Member

Load a web page or a the application? On web pages i.e. rocks for me. IDK maybe different expereinces based on your computer set up.

11. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Ive been using Firefox for years now, but I've finally made the switch to chrome. Firefox ate up alot of memory, since for work i have at least 10-15 tabs open for research and monitoring and it'd take up a sizable amount of my memory. I could ahve disabled some add-ons i had, but Firefox imo hasn't been as clean and efficient like it used to be in the past. That may be just my mind playing tricks or whatever, but I know that now when i use chrome, i can keep 15 tabs open and it feels quicker and more lightweight usage wise than Firefox itself. In the end ill probably find myself going back and forth between the 2 when the situation arises.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait what?

**goes and downloads immediately

13. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

That is what I use, and It is quick

14. Nero

Nero Member

Any of you guys use Cool Iris in Firefox?

Awesome addon!

2 people like this.
  15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

just added that one on it is pretty sweet thanks for the info!

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I use it ...and friends are always amazed when they see it. They're like "wow, what program is that? That is really cool."

It's one of those rare pieces of software engineering that manages to merge great eye candy with extreme usability in the best way possible.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I use Chrome at home and love it. I also have IE8, but only use it for anything that isn't compatible with Chrome(which was a Chrome problem early, but not anymore).

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What do you use it for?

Rocket River

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't remember, what was that? Does it not keep track of history etc. ?

I have been a loyal FF user, and am starting to get tired of the slower loading etc.

I pretty much just use adblock, and a new skin.

Might give chrome another try.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just added it, awesome thanks! :D