1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting landmark (you never heard of)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXRAN, Oct 7, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

So ,..yes I live near Nashville (Go Titans! Jk ) and to the Southwest part of the city is the beautiful area called Brentwood which I often go for the business I am in serving customers, I travel I65 all the time and just wanted to share with you what I consider a marvel...it’s a radio antenna almost as tall as Godzilla Earth.( the mythical Oversized lizard is 984 feet tall, the radio antenna is 808 feet )

seeing this in person is overwhelming but what blows me away is both the unique design and the fact it’s something that is so so tall, heavy and large having such a crazy unbelievably small base area... and this was constructed in the 1930s, part of the backup plan to transmit to submarines in WW2..”its just a marvel and quite interesting in scope of human engineering

2. Buck Turgidson

Huh?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, he did say it was a backup plan.

@ROXRAN That is a weird looking tower... I guess. I don't know how unique it is, but that is a weird looking tower.

Missouri City, Tx. has multiple towers that are 1900-2000 feet tall for various broadcast stations or did, anyway. One of those towers broadcasts a ton of radio stations in the Houston area (again, it used to, I don't know about now -- it probably still does). The other towers broadcast tv signals for KHOU and other TV stations from what I recall. These 2000 foot towers are fairly common in the US. I think Texas has several.

One of the towers in Missouri City actually had a disaster back in the 80's after it was almost completed which involved the deaths of multiple people. The collapse was caught on video (fair warning : several died and the description of the video is a bit graphic as is the video, apparently) :

Uprising, Xerobull and ROXRAN like this.
  4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yea I knew there were many taller like you said, it just amazes me they have such a small base , to me it seems to defy physics ..the ne in Brentwood stands out I guess because it’s so close to residence and a major highway

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yep those towers are huge. I believe they are near the FB tollway. I can see them blinking from my house 20 miles away. Never knew about the collapse.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Has anyone ever stopped at the random “water park” tourist trap off i10? I Think it’s somewhere by eagle lake.

The sign is super random.

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This was exactly what I thought of when I saw the first post. I remember when this happened. Didn’t know there was a video.

8. Buck Turgidson

I'm still gonna need some clarification on this.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oh ****!

That was crazy.