1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Interest in Sam Cassell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Sep 13, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He was interviewed before and almost got the job over McHale so I think Morey has a high opinion of Cassell. I don't think Sam would be naive enough to bring up and advocate for more mid range shots but rather identify the issues with this team having a stagnant offense when Harden isn't on the floor or when the 3s aren't falling. After he gets the job, though, that's where Sam I Am will go to work.

"Russ...come here. Let me give you some advice. That 3 you kept on taking in the playoffs? Step in about 6 feet. You have the green light there. 3 point line? That's red light. From the basket and out to about 16ft? Green light baby. Remember that. 3point line? Red light. Inside the 3 point line? Green light. If you miss the shot, just go grab the rebound"

amaru, rhee, AroundTheWorld and 2 others like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I didn’t know he interviewed before.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

AroundTheWorld and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Sam was head coach at Denver? Didn't realize that.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A Doc Rivers endorsement!!

[​IMG]

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

He does interviews well. Come off as genuine and likable.

Part of HC job is handling media.

#126 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Last time he tried to meddle We got Westbrick.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want Atkinson as the HC and Sam as the lead assistant right now. I like Gentry as an assistant, but Sam is tougher than him. Clutch City makes me want to have Sam back.

#130 saleem, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    pippendagimp likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

of course and Cassell clearly isn’t a guy with a philosophy that would be a continuation of what we are doing which I think should be a requirement. Nurse and Kerr didn’t rebuild the philosophy in place they found what could be tinkered. 80% of people will love it when it happens because it’s a big splash. Maybe it would work, maybe not.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Sam is a champion and winner wherever he goes. His records show for themselves. One of the most under rated players ever and under appreciated! The Nets were garbage when they got him! The Suns started to improve once the offence went through him. Clippers were a joke before him. The wolves were a joke before and after him. He was amazing on the Bucks! The celtics won a title with him. We won 2 titles with him. He could get to the rim he could defend he could control the ball he could hit the three. He is definitely someone with the credentials to coach a team with James harden. He knows how to work with Egos! The man deserves a consideration and I would be happy to have him as our coach. He will need a strong assistant coach but if Sam says he's ready... well he is ready! He was never scared to take on a challenge and has proven himself all his life/ playing career. He will do the same when it comes time to coach this team to a championship.

joshuaao, Cstyle42 and tinman like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No it should not be a requirement at all at this point. The James Harden dribble dribble score has not worked. Kobe said it wouldn't work and it hasn't. You CAN NOT go into post season with the way we have been playing and expect to win anymore. 5 guys that can shoot the three works but one man holding the ball a majority of the shot clock obviously DOES NOT! It sells tickets and gives false hope during the regular season but it turns into garbage during the post season. We need an Adleman/ Poppavich system that just has more threes.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

The key is the relationship with Harden. As long as Harden respects him, that's step one, but Cassell is young and inexperienced, so you just don't know how that's gonna play. We'd probably be better off with a hard ass like Riley who knows how and has a track record of making adjustments.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not that young...

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

or inexperienced

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sam will take us to the Third Round his first year
    (with maybe a few tweaks in personell)
    Championship before his contract would end (4 or more years)\

Rocket River
    That is how much confidence i have in SAM!!

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Nah we get sam as a rookie coach... i say history repeats itself and we go back to back immediately.

Landsdale and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Rocket River likes this.