1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Morey we trust...Or do we?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FearJames'Beard, Jul 14, 2014.

1. FearJames'Beard

It's no secret that Morey would be contacted by 29 owners within an hour of being let go if the rockets were to ever fire him...but how good is he really?

In the past he's traded away players such as Rudy Gay and Nic Batum in return for Battier and players that never saw the court. We've dealt away or lost players like Kyle Lowry AND MOST DEVASTATING in my opinion when we still had hopes that Yao could be healed and continue playing:

WE PASSED UP DEANDRE JORDAN when all this team needed was a player to ease Yao's workload. How does that happen? I remember it like it was yesterday, sitting at a bar thinking that there's no way Jordan falls all the way to us. And then he did...and then we drafted some European that never got on the court. Royce White is terrible why did waste a pick on him last year?

This season we had a chance to make a run at Rondo and in return the Celtics one requirement was that Parsons had to be part of the deal. We turned it down not wanting to deal parsons. We turn down his 900K player option and lose him for nothing. Breakdown of where we stand in this offseason and how badly Morey has failed us:

1) Lose Parsons for nothing which ultimately will not allow us to trade for Rondo. Look Parsons isn't worth 15Mil but he is def worth 900K and he was one of the top trading chips in the NBA at that rate

2) We got rid of Lin for nothing (which I like-needed to be done) but did it to sign Bosh. I'm not a huge Bosh guy myself so this is ok at first glance until...see number 3.

3) In the Lin deal, we gave away a first rounder next year and didn't get to our ultimate end game. We could have amnestied Lin and kept the pick but we didn't.

4) We gave away a top 10 center for nothing thinking we'd land Bosh...not to beat a dead horse but we all know what happened.

5) I do love the Ariza signing. He's better than Parsons in terms of what this team needs. He's a defensive wing with length who can thrash the lane and hits 3's at a high rate.

Here's what Morey can do to redeem a tiny bit of what he's thrown away while swinging for the fence:

1) Sign Ryan Kelly - want a stretch 4? there you go. He's 6'11" and hits 3's at close to 40%

2) Sign either Kris Humphries or Ed Davis - both big, athletic 4's who can pound the boards and block a few shots.

3) GET YOUR HANDS ON AMINU or Wesley Johnson. They are both young athletic wings who can defend. Aminu can't hit jumpers but he is a tweener and can play some 4 and he can get up and down the court too. Great rebounder as well. Johnson can do a little of everything.

4) Go get Jordan Crawford or Jared Balyss. You need a guy who can handle the rock a little bit to help Bevs and either would do. I prefer Jared bc he's a true point.

5) Offer the money you were going to spend on Parsons/Bosh to Lance Stephenson. When Harden is off of his game you need someone who can make a play. He's your guy. He has attitude which this team lacks and he can handle the ball as well. He's a leader whether it be vocally or by example. He's not the 'good guy' we always go after which would be nice for a change...he plays defense. Wow what a concept that this team has seemed to forget how to do the past few years.

2. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Take a look at your username, then ask if we should trust Morey.

3. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Without Morey, there is no Beard to fear

4. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

yes we do

In Morey we trust

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

My view of Morey has gone from I'm not worried he will fix it to I think he will fix it.

6. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

The guy got too much publicity for his analytics, his fleecing of other GMs, and his treatment of players as 'assets' . The league is watered down these days, so to get that magical combination of championship team players together takes maneuvering and luck - sometimes dumb luck. He's doing as good a job as he can, but sometimes that's not good enough in this league. He'll be here as long as Howard and maybe Harden are - probably.

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Thanks for that....

But in response to the 462nd thread on DM not being good at his job:

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

with high reward situations comes high risk. you aren't going to win them all. you can crunch numbers all day and find the optimum path, but there is always risk.

in morey i trust

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I love what he is doing. Our defense will be better soon enough. We just need to add a few tough veteran players and a point guard.

10. htowndon2334

htowndon2334 Member

Dwight Howard?

11. FearJames'Beard

He overthought this offseason though...he tried to get cute. Does anyone else not realize the value of Parsons at 900K and what it would have brought to us in a trade???????????

A first rounder...gone...for nothing.

And yes I know what my username is but please remember that the Thunder were going to get rid of him and he was the only GM willing to pay the asking price. It's not as though he pulled the wool over anyone's eyes, the Thunder essentially got three first rounders out of the deal for a player that was going to expire off of their books because they couldn't resign.

Deandre Jordan...I'll never forget us passing on him.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why are all of these assclowns with 3 posts coming out of the woodwork to second guess Morey when their names come from players that Morey acquired?

13. FearJames'Beard

Dwight was a FREE AGENT. FREE being the key word. We paid him a max level deal, not rocket science.

He landed Parsons in the second round, that was a nice pick...but what did he do with it? Threw it away for nothing. We could have turned him into Rondo.

What he has missed on?

Dealing Rudy Gay, Nic Batum after drafting them...Passing on drafting Deandre Jordan. Drafting Royce white??????? WTF was he thinking here?

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

If Bosh accepted, none of these threads would exist. Worth the gamble. Sucks to see Parsons leave but I get it. I don't get McHale.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Amnesty Lin?

Lost Asik for nothing?

At least stick to reality when criticizing.

16. htowndon2334

htowndon2334 Member

are you badass if you've been a member for 13 years and posted 7,000 plus times..

17. FearJames'Beard

It's Morey's job to acquire talent and make moves to improve the team. I have no reason to pat him on the back when he does his job. We're the 5th largest market in the US he shouldn't have too much difficulty getting players attention to come here.

I do feel the need to point out the fact that he gave away the key to acquiring Rajon Rondo...gave it away. Why not pick his option up? Why not pick it up and trade him? Oh yea and the first he gave away for free...and the big man that we're now looking for when he traded Asik to wiff on Bosh? He got cute and then he got bit.

18. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Stopped reading after this idiot referenced "amnesty Lin". Shows how little he knows about NBA or anything.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Do I trust Morey? It depends on what. If you're a rebuilding team looking for cheap talent in places nobody would ever look, yes I do. But if you're a team on the verge of being a contender and looking for the right type of role players to compliment your stars, HELL NO. What we are witnessing is a GM who's specialty is finding unpolished talent for pennies. Morey being a numbers guy is his biggest setback. He doesn't know the X's & O's of what makes a team great, he only sees numbers. This is why he hasn't been successful

1 person likes this.
  20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

29? i don't think spurs will look at him