1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Yao shot as much as Tmac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 5, 2005.

1. supermagichero

What are you talking about? Yao has no TO last night. If you count those TO as missed shots a game to Tmac, his shoot percentage will be even less, maybe less than 40%. Can you see the difference?

2. rice

rice Contributing Member

i am sure they can, but many just refuse to accept.:eek:

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yao does no wrong. He's the greatest player ever. He is better than every other player who scores more or rebounds more than he does...because there's always a reason why he doesn't score more or rebound more, and those reasons aren't his fault. He's the greatest player of all time..in any sport. Yea, Yao!

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's just a simple fact that Yao can't get off a shot any time he wants to like Tmac can. Yao has to have low position to score, which at times is hard for him to get. When he is given the ball too far out from the basket he promptly passes to someone else or turns the ball over.

If Yao could get deep position every time like Shaq can then he would get the ball more, get more shots, and thus score more.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

No, I was talking about the overall season so far. He averages 3 TO a game.

Yes, my point is exactly same as yours, Tmac shot worse percentage than Yao even if you count Yao's TO as missed shots, so Yao needs to take more shots. We all know that though. But how to get him more shots. I dont think Gundy is any dumber than any of us or the guys on ESPN.

6. MadMax

of course yao has a higher shooting percentage!!! he's 7'6" and he's a center. shooting guards don't have shooting percentages like centers do.

i invite you to look on nba.com...do a search on the stats portion of the site ranking FG%...you'll see big men at the top of the list. it's like that everywhere.

are we seriously having this discussion?? do you guys seriously believe at this point Yao is a better player than McGrady???

7. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Shaq is not getting enough shots this year. It's just harder to
    get the ball inside against the Zone. It took a whole former
    Lakers team and a terrific pentrator in Kobe to get the ball into
    Shaq. Right now the PFs can get shots easily because they
    have a mix of high and low post games.

8. snowmt01

I have to say Tmac's FG% right now is below average, or even
    borderline pathetic considering he doesn't get to the line as
    often as comparable superstars, e.g., Kobe, A.I., etc.

9. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

\

Shady, remember in the past when Yao use to front people and shoot over their heads. Yao has regressed to where he only takes shots in the paint, or that DAMN jump hook (near free throw line) that normally clanks. I think yao has some confidence problems, or is just to big & slow (exhausted) to handle 24 minutes a game.

#49 barbourdg, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  10. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Yao just needs to learn to become more selfish, simple as that. I'm getting tired of seeing him passing up shots all the time, he should just shoot even if he misses like 8 in a row, cause at least he's shooting, and I would rather have him or tmac miss shots, than seeing the role players brick open shots over and over again.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, I kinda agree with you. To take the shots is one thing and to get a shot is another. Tmac is the one guy on this team can create a shot at any time. It's definitely easier to ride on him.

But, are we feeding the ball enough to Yao. Are we send the rock like we did in the Toronto game to Yao constistent enough? We call Yao the 2nd best center because of his skill. Now you may say 12.6 shots is as much as he can get in 32 minutes of play becuase of his turn over problems and inability to get good position, and then I invite you to
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89303

Again, I think largely it's Yao's fault not taking more shots.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Actually, I don't want that. I don't want to see Yao force up any shots, and I hate it when TMac forced up so many shots. Maybe I'm from the old-school, you can get away once in a while, but you cannot consistently win in this league if you don't play as a team. To play as a team, we need to move the ball, get the best shot available.

Now, we have good shooters in almost every position except PG (with Sura), we should alway try to move the ball to get the best shot. That's the way basketball should be played.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If my aunt had a package, she'd be my uncle.

Yao will never shoot as much as T-Mac. It's not in his nature. He doesn't create his own shot and doesn't demand the ball the way Hakeem did. Not to mention, he's often double and triple teamed and has to pass the ball back out. McGrady is an elite scorer, who can and does get his own shot at any time.

14. lyrix

lyrix Member

You know who to blame? Our 4s.

If Yao shoots, nobody goes after the board, that~{!/~}s why you see when Yao is not first option anymore, his boards is going up and in the end we don~{!/~}t look that bad when Yao becomes 2nd or even 3rd topion. In short JVG sacrificed Yao~{!/~}s points to his rebounding skills. Unless Yao can shot 100%, he will remain as 2nd option until we find a rebounding 4.

It~{!/~}s unfair, but that may be the most efficient way to play with a weak 4.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't get this "Yao doesn't create his own shots" argument. Can anyone give me an definition? Do you have to get the ball from behind 3pt line, dribble pass people to score, to be qualified as "create your own shots"?

Can Shaq create his own shots?, What about Duncan, or Amare?

16. porsche911

porsche911 Member

If Yao shot as much as TMAC, we would be in the NBA finals

17. MadMax

i'm going to throw up now. hold on...i just did a little in my mouth.

18. snowmt01

Cant believe an old-timer like you have so little tolerance :D
    We have tons of worse threads and posts before.
    "Put up or shut up" ;)

19. MadMax

awesome reply with that last sentence! :)

again...most of my posts are in the hangout forums. not here. i have heard of the yao-only fan. i've brushed them from time to time amidst the fray here. but i really didn't engage one...until today. the scales have fallen from my eyes. i once was blind, but now i see. and what i see...scares me. :eek:

:)

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, those last three can because they can face up their opponents and take them off the dribble, something Yao cannot do.