1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Toyota Center could be as loud as AT&T center or even American Airlines in Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Nov 30, 2013.

1. anchel

anchel Member

Home-Court-Advantage

Sad to see what we saw today.

Do we have to resign to current Toyota atmosphere, or something will be done in pursuit of a change? It is possible a change, at this point, or are we forced to accept the fact that Houston fans are just like that? Truly, is not possible to come back to the Summit atmosphere? Not even with a championship caliber team? It is sad.

2. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Are you saying that SA's environment made you sad?

I'm not sure if you've been over there but SA is all about the Spurs... Houston is a football city. Even with the Texans only winning 2 games, their games will still be packed every Sunday.

For basketball, Houston fans show up during the playoffs... It's ridiculously crazy in there. Regular season? Not so much. With the team getting better and being consistent, you might see the Yota Center getting a little more lively.

3. SK34

SK34 Member

Co-Sign / end thread.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Going on the road and beating our in-state rivals is not an easy task. I think the atmosphere at their stadiums plays a big role in that. There is no reason that our stadium shouldn't be as loud as theirs. Our city is bigger, we have a large fan base, great venue, and the product we put out on the court is top notch. It'd be nice to see the Toyota Center infused with energy again like it was during our 22 game winning streak in 2008.

6. nono

nono Member

You are expecting too much. They can't even be seated 20 minutes into the game.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would agree with that statement.

When I was at the TC for the Clippers game, it was load I guess. There were a number of us yelling the whole game in my section but there was a bunch of people not doing anything and that was when the Rockets were up by double digest in the 3rd quarter.

When I was at the AAC for the Dallas game that place was loud all night, and then when the dumb ass Mavs started making their run in the 4th quarter you could not talk to the person next to you because it was so loud.

I'm hoping that once people in Houston see what a great product the Rockets are putting on the floor the TC will be loud as some of the other Arena's in the league. I know it was super loud at the Summit back in the 80's and 90's.

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I think part of the problem now is that the suites are so nice that the corporate people that own them spend the majority of the game there. It makes the arena feel a lot more empty and less intimidating.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

There's still more regular seating, than suites. Don't think that's the problem

The texans-jags game had a better crowd than any of the rockets game all season.

10. nono

nono Member

In Houston this is how sports rank :

1. NFL
    2. College football
    3. High school football
    4. Baseball
    5. WNBA
    6. NBA

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

I was at the Spurs (Harden gw shot) and Thunder game last year and the crowd was pretty good. As the season continues you'll see the crowd get more and more rowdy (although with all those clubs seats good luck getting those middle section seats ever filling up before tipoff).

Everyone loves a winner

12. bro2044

bro2044 Member

well, you are comparing our loudness and fanbase to those of franchises that have consistently won for 12-13 years each.

The expectations are so high every year, and I'm sure every Mavs/Spurs fan have been thinking "WCFinals!" or "NBA CHAMPS!" for at least the last 10.

When my wife and I go down we are loud (been living in Grapevine for a long time now), but yeh TC isn't that crazy besides Rowdies, and sometimes people don't even stand to watch at the end of close games? w t h?

The Rockets have just been so heart wrenchingly inconsistent in the last 10 years, its a lot to expect when not everyone in your city believes in them. SURE diehard fans believe, but when your team is winning year in and year out and making the playoffs and winning championships, even bandwagoners and business seat peeps are going to get into it because the team has high expectations from EVERYBODY.

In 2003-2004, Mavs had Nowitzki, Spurs had Duncan. Those fans have had at least one legendary player they've loved and followed for over 10 years. That same year, Houston had Yao and Francis playing together.

If all the fans inside were like us, it'd be rockin', but so much has happened since then... that I could see why only 1 playoff series win since '97 would keep the Rox crowd from going as crazy as those others. Keep this core together, give it another year or two, and with some consistency and playoff wins, we'll see it come to life again in Toyota Center.

Oh and btw, on our last trip down we went into 2 local HOU Walmarts and an Academy to look to see if there any new Rocket gear. Walmart had NOTHING, 0...only Texans (DFW Wally's have Mavs gear out), and Academy had a section as big as my bathtub for Rockets gear.

That made me sad.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Giving the Mavs way too much credit here.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

When the football season is over then I hope there will be an improvement.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As bro2044 said, consistent winning will (hopefully!) bring the crowd.

I was at the AT&T Center last night and when the Spurs went on their run that place was louder than I've ever heard the Toyota Center. That made me sad.

It really felt like everyone in the arena actually cared about what was happening on the court. I can't say that for games in Houston. The city and the people there just care more about their team than Houstonians do.

16. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I guess, but they've won a championship, been in the Finals twice, and been in the playoffs EVERY year (except 1) since 2000.

Its more credit than NBA fans would give the Rockets. I'm diehard HOU fan since '91-92, but DAL has been on of the toughest bball teams to exist for a while now, and... they beat us. I don't like 'em, but they still deserve credit. Not as much as SA, but that doesn't nullify it.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Even when it's packed, people generally aren't all that rowdy. I'm usually the person in my section making a fool of myself and not caring lol.

ETA: The atmosphere was electric during the playoffs, but it would be cool if it were like that all the time.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Houston fans need leisure time.. yelling and cheering would take away from leisure time

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

And there's a self conscious aspect too.. fans are embarrassed or something to be loud and passionate.
    Lame ass Houstonians

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

So basically the cut of Houstonians that make it to rockets games are:

Overworked, tired, and self conscious. Or just too rich to give a ****