1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the choice for a BIG were Okur, Blount or Magliore?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 21, 2004.

1. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Okur seems like a poor man's Nesterovic...

I don't understand all the hype with him. He will prove to be another Marc Jackson.

2. Sane

Sane Member

I think Nesterovic would be the poor man. I don't think Nesterovic does anything better than Okur.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If it's not Emeka or Brand, I can't here you.

4. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

I would like to see Stromile Swift on your list!

5. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

How true. All of these guys would have every chump in the league playing in Houston. My suggestion is for these guys to get NBA league pass, watch the other teams play ..and then mabe they could make an intelligent post.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Where the hell have you been????

Smeg said you started hanging out at the SA Spurs BBS.

7. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I'm a Rocket only fan, if they move the Rockets again..I'm quitting the NBA.

8. sup123

sup123 Member

okur seems soft, maglorie not a good shooter if i am not wrong, and blount havent really seen him play.

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great to hear from you Sensei ZZ

watching other teams play is a bad habit of mine

Codell - i said it was a Golden State BBS :p

10. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

how much would dampier command on the market?

i'd love to have him playing alongside Yao.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He is supposedly opting out of a contract due to pay him @8 mil next year. You do the math. 6 years stating @8.5?

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Seems to me the most plausible FAs are Okur, Etan Thomas and Swift. Forget the guys who are centers first like Magloire or Dampier (though I can't believe another team would offer him 8 mil per year) or Blount, plus Magloire if he were available would land a big contract because decent centers are so in demand (contracts of Brad Miller and Nestorich for comparison).

Swift and Etan are RFAs where their teams can match any offers, so we would have to outbid their own teams for them. These two would be promising but risky fits. They would add significant athleticsm and/or physical presence (and both get about 1.5 BPG) but neither is a polished offensive player.

I have more concerns about Okur. He seems a little slow for a WC PF and his overall game isn't much different than Mo's except the extra 3 feet making him an OK (but not great) 3 point threat. We want to bring in a guy who provides something significantly different, not just a slightly better/younger version of what we got.

Swift and Thomas seem like much more promising targets who would offer a very different kind book end (than Mo, Spoon) to Yao assuming their offensive games can develop significantly further along than Cato's peak. If we don't trade for a PF I hope we pick up one of these two--maybe or 3-4 year MLE for Thomas would not be matched by the Wizards if they have to shell out for Kwame or a 5-6 year MLE for Swift. We don't have many other realistic options for upgrading our 4 spot going into next year except via trade.

#32 Desert Scar, May 25, 2004
    Last edited: May 25, 2004