1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I had never seen this one before

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Nov 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. anchel

anchel Member

Never, in PRO basketball, to solve a defensive problem with the p&rs by switching on every screen, 30 minutes. Specially against Steve Nash, and specially playing with 2 big men against 4/almost 5 wings, and being Brad Miller one of those guys. Prehistoric, troglodyte.

I accept mistakes on substitutions, dubious lineups, I accept that we can't take a good shot in final posessions because coach is not able to draw a single succesful play, "OK, he has another very good things, I'll pass it". But what I saw yesterday I think is not acceptable, and since this catastrophe, is not worth talking about anything more related to the game.

2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Wasn't worth a new thread either.

3. anchel

anchel Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kU9F4pA2Xx0?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kU9F4pA2Xx0?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's funny. Watching the highlights Nash is always defended by Scola/Hill/Miller, never Lowry/Smith. Nash.

And we're not wahtching the mismatches on the block...

This thing doesn't deserve a thread, deserves a single forum.

4. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

So they went from doubling everyone on the perimeter and failing to recover to this. Fascinating.

5. verti89

verti89 Member

yea i was at the game and it was pretty unbelievable to watch possession after possession nash being guarded by miller/scola/hill. it was also pretty remarkable watching us start out 0-18 from the 3pt line.

6. sefril

sefril Member

experimental defensive strategy by Adelman? or is he doing it with the purpose of.... tanking?

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

At the game too and saw this OVER and OVER, blew my mind. Nash will destroy you if you try this strategy and so he did.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This video also shows the difference between Nash's bad "defense" and martin's or brook's......

@0:39 He drives, dishes to Gill and holds battier down
    @2:02 he gives lowry a nudge to keep him down
    @2:14 again he drives and holds back the defender to keept hem from helping

a better word is physicality, than defense, but it plays a part in both defense and offense. Nash does some little things here and there to still give him an edge on both ends. Martin and brooks needs to learn to use those trick to their advantage. I've never been a huge fan of grabbing jerseys and things like that, but if the other team is doing it, then you need to fight fire with fire.

9. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Isn't this what the Suns did to the Lakers way back in the 2006 playoffs? The Lakers had to switch everything because the point guard (Smush Parker) couldn't stay with Nash and some big like Kwame Brown would have to switch to prevent the drive or the pick and pop. Of course it didn't work there either.

In general, I think this just happens when the Suns play bad teams (unfortunately).

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

that first drive past scola was horrible, he made no attempt what so ever to gaurd nash, sure he may have fouled him or got burned anyways but that was just like, he is gonna score and i dont care...

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

One word: Embarrassing. Did the coach ever tell our guard to not guard other point guards with under screen defense? Or our coach has no idea how to defend a pick and roll play? Which is one of the most popular plays in NBA, but this team rarely uses it.

13. moose

moose Member

I didn't even watch the game, and I noticed this right away when I watched the highlights. Our defense is terrrrrrible.

14. anchel

anchel Member

In my opinion, our defensive strategies against p&rs have surely been the most terrible thing we have seen so far. Don't know what are they thinking, but is affecting decisively in some defeats.

That's not on the players. In fact Lowry+Hayes is possibly one of the better pairs you could have against that the p&r.

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I guess you don't watch a whole lot of basketball then.

The Hawks used to switch pretty much every pick and roll under Mike Woodson.
    Some teams like to switch with 5 seconds or less.
    Some teams do it against certain matchups/when they get burned time after time. The Lakers did it quite a bit against the Suns last year in the playoffs as a matter of fact.

I thought they overdid it a bit, but it isn't as uncommon as you might think. Especially against the Suns.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, Mark Cuban said some years back that they tracked how teams defend Nash on pick-and-rolls. It turns out that switching was what worked the best. You make him a shooter, and he tends to be reluctant shooter in those situations. You turn the Suns offense into 1-on-1 and remove their greatest strength -- Nash finding 3-point shooters and people under the basket. Sometimes Nash will burn you, because he's really good, but its still a good strategy.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

But the OP has just informed us that he's never seen it before, in PRO basketball. Is Cuban aware of this?

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

sometimes orders are orders.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

maybe this is the first time the OP has ever watched Pro basketball. :p

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

well rick did tell drexler to leave jordan open in the finals so..........