1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Go ahead and rewatch the Rockets-Thunder playoff series from two years ago and then you'll all love Hubie and think he's the greatest. He always sides with the team that's behind and gives insights on what they need to fix to make the game tight.

All in all, stop whining.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Wasn't that bad except for the thing at the end about hoping that Amare gets more calls in the future. With this disappointment in his voice like there's never gonna be a rainbow again.

3. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

Hubie always roots for the underdog.

4. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

I don't find him biased. But I hate on him because he's an terrible analyst. He is old and has completely lost it. He belongs at home in his rocking chair.

5. Airdough

Airdough Member

Hubie calls the game evenly and usually has good insights. He also has a vested interest in keeping the audience engaged so yes he will explain how a team can come back. He doesn't need to cheerlead a blowout.

Personally, I watched the Root Sports feed because I grew up listening to Bill on telecasts and Peterson/Foley on the radio so I would rather here the Rockets focused coverage. It's the equivalent of being on Clutchfans during the game now.

We are all fans so not exactly the most unbiased and objective group of people. Be thankful that you have so many options to take the game in and just try to enjoy. You will live a lot longer and less likely to make others around you disgruntled with you.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Agree that the reffing was OK last night with some gives and takes here and there. But to say that Dwight thrown Nowitzky to the ground is simply over-exaggeration. Nowitzky is not a kite and Howard tried to hold him back with a back hand. Nowitzky threw himself to the floor to sell a flop.

7. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

People who say he calls it evenly, go re-watch this game and say that one more time! He does not. On 90% of the plays he tries to say something about the Mavs and occasionally after he's done ranting and raving about them or pointing out what 'you' need to do, he gives the Rockets credit.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If I'm just watching a random NBA game, that's the kind of commentary I want, balanced analysis, support for the team behind etc. It keeps you interested.

When I am watching the Rockets, I want passionate homerism with old friends because it's more like the live experience of the game where 16,000 people share the a oneness of purpose.

The difference is dispassionate interest and passionate commitment. Yes the passionate commitment is irrational, but it's way more fun.

(I think commitment to a social order, or tribalism, is a hardwired aspect of human personality. One that causes a lot of conflict in this world; but team sports are fairly safe way to exercise this innate desire . DALLAS SUCKS!... see, that's fun... it FEELS good )

9. MONON

MONON Member

Agreed! Especially the "DALLAS SUCKS!...see, that's fun...it FEELS good" part! :cool::grin:

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This!!!!

Excellent post!!!

Fans/people have selective memory sometimes too. The Rockets were praised by Hubie last night (and his other games involving us), but people must've forgotten

#90 Houstunna, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Great post. Now how can I watch Roots Sports and Calvin's comments?

12. Kash

Kash Member

Hubie Brown compliments just about everyone. If you think he has a hidden agenda vs the Rockets, at that age, well then you're just paranoid.

I actually have zero problems with him.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

People making a deal over nothing. Hubie is an excellent commentator and knows the game well. I was more distraught over Bill Worrell's comments concerny Cooley of the Jazz. Just young player that's hardly been in the league long but Worrell already stereotypes him as nothing be athletic and being able to "block" shots then Clyde adds to his remarks. That's kinda racist right there...

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The idea that he was anti rockets is dumb. He was calling dirk a great actor for his flopping, praising the rockets supporting cast and chastising people who think harden is the only good player on the team, etc. when he says things like that's an unfortunate mistake for the Mavericks he doesn't mean unfortunate because he's rooting for them, he means unfortunate for them.

He's very impartial.

1 person likes this.
  15. OpenLayup-Why3?

Hubie overall is one of the best commentators because he really has knowledge of the game and doesn't just talk dry numbers like most. Sure, he might be wrong sometimes, but he's right more than others most of the time. And he usually has an unique perspective on things, great insights.

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

my only gripe with hubie is he pretty much agrees to every ref call and points out what that person did to foul even if there wasn't a foul

17. OpenLayup-Why3?

If you like commentators who disagree with every call - listen to Houston commentators :D

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Hubie Brown's insight is good, but I can't stand the orgasms he has on-air. Those groans are cringe-worthy throughout the game

19. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Bill Worrell is the voice of the Rockets, so he should
    be on their side. By the way, you won't find a better
    commentator out there.
    Matt Bullard is also good, but he praises Ariza way too much.
    Ariza is really the weakest link in this team, the guy
    bricks more shots and takes the most ill-advised shots
    he can find. Bullard is also in favor of this 3-point shot
    barage system the Rockets have, but I will always
    believe that looking for easier shots like a layup is much better,
    and you can get a 3-point play and get the other team in
    foul trouble. And of course, the "x" factor that wins
    games and championships is defense.
    As a side note, I would prefer the players to practice
    shooting free throws than 3-pointers.

20. Krizzle

Krizzle Member