1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Refs. make the games "more interesting"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by varughese.arun, Jan 3, 2017.

1. varughese.arun

Completely agree. THEY DEFINITELY GOT ALL BALL INITIALLY but on the follow through got body. Refs could have very easily let that go.

I'm not saying the refs pick winners. but they make calls to keep games close

2. bongman

bongman Member

Sometimes, it could be just this...

3. varughese.arun

Haaaaa.

Bro, okay, I'll concede. Maybe these refs just make terrible calls that coincidentally seem bias. However, I the consensus is that there are many terrible calls made. this has gone on forever. yet, no significant efforts are made to fix this problem.

Will you agree with that much? @Texanasiafan @jayfree @Mathloom @Pen15clubber

#63 varughese.arun, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. hakeemthagreat

I think your 100% correct. I can't pin down who's exactly behind these r****ded calls but see them just like you see them

From my perspective, the refs DEFINITELY try to make games closer by either not making a obvious call or making a terrible call to affect the outcome of the game. I also think the league has it's stars that it gives "help" too 2 ensure they keep their superstar images (which helps the league sell tickets). I believe the lower level teams (Minnesota,Sac,Philly,Orlando etc..) are put at a disadvantage when playing say GS, SAS or Cleveland. The league doesn't like for the elite teams to get embarrassed. So don't be surprised if Minnesota is beating Golden State by double digits and Steph Curry goes to the line 10-15 times in the 4th quarter.

Anybody who follows the game can see this. Refs clearly have a bias when it comes to making calls. I remember a few years ago when Tony Brothers ejected McHale and it was CLEARLY a personal statement he was making. The calls he was making were atrocious and all of them were against us.

varughese.arun likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And it is easy to find the interview that the lines "we ran out of talent" and "we had 14 assists and I had 9 of them" are in. But there is absolutely no interview to be found containing the phrase that the NBA is corrupt and rigged unless it is something fake that someone put together. If there was a real interview containing those lines, James would have been heavily fined by the NBA.

6. varughese.arun

Thank you!

I have a hard time believing that the NBA has a predetermined agenda. I'm not saying there is some sort of conspiracy. However, these terrible calls have existed FOR A LONG LONG TIME. Technological advancements can aid us in improving this problem. Yet the NBA makes NO SUBSTANTIAL EFFORTS to address these concerns that, CLEARLY, MANY consumers have. This blatant disregard is what concerns me.

7. bongman

bongman Member

I disagree that nothing has been done. Originally, there were only 2 refs/game and today we have 3. Certain plays can also now be reviewed via replay during the last 2 minutes, possible flagrant fouls and clear path(throughout the game). All of these were inserted to try to make the calls more accurate. There has also been talks of experimenting in the D-League with 4 officials.

The only way you can make ALL calls accurate is to be able to review each call but this will slow down the game to a halt where each game will average about 4 hrs each - unacceptable. Harden even misses those easy layups or dunks so people will make mistakes and we just have to live with them. It all evens out in the end unless there is deliberate intention to favor one team over the other. For those cases, we punish the culprits.

8. varughese.arun

Could you please post it?

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Google is your friend. Simply use google and type in "we ran out of talent".

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I understand what your saying...but...there is no way you could watch that game and not see the rockets level of play drop to let OKC back in. Also, I think you are talking about three to four calls here, we were up 18, so four calls and its still a double digit lead. At the end of the day man, it is the rockets level of play that caused the close game. The second unit didn't get it done in the 4th, and harden was a bit stagnant late.

11. Mr Chuck Norris

its painfully obvious to the point ppl need to stop being surprised

12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's one of those things where Silver doesn't really want to address the problem because I think they secretly like having control over the games at the end of the day.

13. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I dunno. I've seen enough sports over the years to know that if there's one common thread that binds the sporting world, it's that the fans always blames the officials.

NBA refs are the best of the best but they're only human. And the speed at which plays unfold is so fast, you can't expect every call to be correct.

At the end of the day, bad calls tend to even themselves out. As fans, we only see the bad calls against us, and are blind to bad calls that go our way.

As for refs subconsciously trying to keep games close, well that can work both ways also.

I guess we could video review every play and have games go for 12 hours, or have every player wear full body pressure sensor suits that light up if enough contact is made for a foul, like in fencing.

14. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

you could use some lithium in your water

[Before the season started I said that the 2017 Rockets team, barring injuries, are a 3 or 4 seed. If the roster remains the same, and slight adjustments are made, then I think this team is capable of getting to the finals this year... BARRING ANY DOUCHEBAGGERY FROM THE REFEREES!

For decades, the NBA has continued to disregard the diehard fan as idiots and fail to address the problem. We have the technologies available to correct this problem but the NBA chooses not to address the problem head on. The main problem is that REFEREES MISS BLATANT CALLS, and also CALL MYSTERIOUS FOULS WHICH DO NOT EXIST. The passerby fan may not understand the importance of a "missed call" in the 1st quarter. However, the avid fan understands that the "flap of a butterfly's wing in Brazil can set off a cascade of events that, later, spurs the formation of a tornado in Texas." Currently, Fouls are Arbitrary in the NBA. REFS MAKE CALLS TO CHANGE/ALTER A TEAMS MOMENTUM. Officiating is NOT consistent across the board. LeBron James traveling is not the same as Corey brewer traveling. A foul in the regular season is not the same as a foul in playoffs. Foul in 1st quarter is not the same as a foul in 4th quarter. Here are some of the reasons why I think the NBA chooses not to address these problems.

REVENUE SHARING
    - Profits from a games are POOLED and then split between the two teams playing. We all want the superstar to win, even if it means our team will loose.

ANTI-TRUST EXEMPTIONs
    Anti trust laws exist so that large businesses don't become too powerful, form a monopoly, and ADJUST THE MARKET PRICE FOR A GOOD.
    - There is more than just the obvious reason why LeBron is valued so highly.

NBA is an ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS.
    High TV ratings equal more money. Therefore, the NBA does whatever necessary to "give the people what they want." The NBA wants their superstars to succeed, for example:
    - Kobe Bryant can NOT be left out of the playoffs, so UTAH is forced out of the playoffs race via terrible officiating and Lakers cover an 8 game defect just before the start of playoffs.
    - In the OKC vs. HEAT finals, the young Durant, Westbrook, and Harden are robbed of an NBA titles so that the larger narrative of LEBRON, Bosh, and Wade are vindicated as the best.
    - GSW get away with illegal screens all year and wins 73.
    - In 2016 finals Dremond Green convinently gets ejected, sends series to game 7 and LeBron finally brings championship to cleaveland.

What can us fans do?
    If you see, or have seen questionable calls from refs then REFUSE TO FINANCIALLY SUPPORT NBA, and VOICE YOUR OPINION ON ALL PLATFORMS. I do not think the "system is rigged" by any means. However, I do think there are obvious efforts the NBA can employ to address discrepancies in the game. Yet they do not.

THE NBA WILL HANG ONTO LEBRON'S COATTAIL AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. If fans don't express their displeasure then other stars like JAMES HARDEN will be snubbed. Call out BS when you see it, and voice your opinions. Furthermore, voice your opinions in support of JAMES HARDEN, so the NBA realizes that THE BEARD can be the next poster child of the NBA... Imagine that!}

15. varughese.arun

I do think it is possible to properly officiate a game without causing too much delay.

"Referee headsets. It would ideally create better communication among the three officials on the court, saving the time of having to huddle and in some cases expedite a decision with the help of the person manning the replay center in Seacaucus, N.J., without a lengthy delay for refs to watch a monitor at the scorer's table." This is from an article the NBA released.

As a fan watching the game, I can determine within a few seconds wether a penalty should or should not have been called. WITHOUT BIAS TO MY TEAM. The common argument in defense of referees making bad calls is that: "they are only human, and it is hard for one person to make the correct call in such a fast paced game." So why put all the burden on one person?

If there is a team of officials watching the game LIVE in Seacaucus, then they can be counted on to make adjustments. These adjustments DO NOT need to stop the play. If a bad call is in question (excluding calls regarding possession of ball), then that play can be reviewed while the game continues. On the next dead ball Seacaucus can tell the officials the adjustments that need to be made. Or at the end of each quarter, Seacaucus can inform the refs what they did wrong, and adjust that call. In the 4th quarter, all the calls before the 2 minute mark can be reviewed as the game continues. Then at the 2 minute mark, Seacaucus can communicate to the refs what needs to be addressed. What wastes time is when Referees huddle up and have a discussion.

This is just one idea, there are obviously many other ways to address this problem.

16. alcatrazpsycho

OP - I see you've taken the red pill and are beginning to see professional sports in a new light (which you will never be able to unsee).

Financially boycotting the NBA only works if the whole fan base will do it. That won't happen.

So your only alternatives are to either:
    (1) Become crazy successful (billionaire status) and buy an NBA team or find some other way to work yourself up to the corporate NBA ladder so you can have enough influence to change the game;
    (2) Sit back and watch games without becoming emotionally invested in them because you see the well-oiled money-making machine that it is. Maybe you'll notice a trend and can make some money on the side with sports betting;
    (3) Stop watching professional sports altogether and substitute that time with doing something productive instead.

17. varughese.arun

This is the best response I've gotten in regards to this topic. thank you. House always wins.

18. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while. Since brewer technically doesn't palm the ball until he's about to grab it with both hands, how would that be a travel? Because if you have the ball up with you're hand on it but it's not under the ball, that can't be travel because you're not carrying the ball just yet..

19. varughese.arun

haa... touché

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Am I right or what??