1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How much power does Morey have relative to other GMs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Mar 26, 2014.

1. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

He seems to have substantial influence over the Rockets in ways beyond simple team composition. A look at any rockets shot chart makes that pretty clear. I don't think any other team has their style of play named after their GM.

It seems like teams are GM dominated, HC dominated, owner dominated, or more democratic. Are there any teams other than Pat Riley/Heat with a GM dominant organization?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As a GM, I think he has as much power or more as any other GM in basketball operations up to the luxury tax threshold. He selected a coach that would coach the Rockets that fit the personnel. As he picks the personnel, the team runs more or less the way he wants it while letting the coach do what he wants.

3. DocRock

DocRock Member

I'd say Billy King, Joe Dumars, and whoever is in Cleveland have a blank check and total freedom.

Also seems like GM's in Minnesota can do whatever they want.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Masai Ujiri probably has about the same level of power.
    Presti comes to mind.

The Spurs are mostly run by Pops (former GM), so that sort of counts.

Really, there aren't *that* many GM's who are SO good or respected that they get that much rope.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No other GM has comparable power, Morey is omnipotent.

Curse this blasphemous thread.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Morey's power level is over 9000. Don't think other GMs have that.

But seriously, I'd go with Ujiri like torocan suggested.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is Les's show. Morey's greatness allows Les to have his cake and eat it too.
    Not complaining ...just sayin...

8. Nook

Nook Member

The GM in Minnesota doesn't have much power... Adelman has a huge say over what moves are made.

Joe Dumars has had complete control of basketball operations but is likely to be fired.

Chris Grant in Cleveland takes his orders from his owner.

Billy King takes his orders from his owner. King did not want Kidd as the head coach and AK-47 was all the owners call.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Morey has slowly earned a great deal of power within the Rockets organization. He has surrounded himself with people that fit his philosophy and work well with him. However, I would remind people that Morey still has to talk to Les before making a major trade or coaching change and the two of them talk often.

Les played a part in JVG and Adelman not returning and in the signing of Jeremy Lin. So while Morey gets to do what he wants, and Les will spend money, he still has to run it through the owner.

1 person likes this.
  10. makio9

makio9 Member

I think with talent comes freedom. He is one of the best GM's in the league and he would also have roughly the same rating for doing as he pleases.

You'd be stupid as an owner to player your cards any differently.

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I think Morey has WAY more power than the average GM. He's damn near coaching the team. The "only shoot 3's and layups" offense is Morey's. Will this lead us to championship? I'm not sure. The real question is if it's proven not to work in the playoffs, will he be willing to concede a little of that power back to the coaches.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

He does have a ton of influence on the team's style of play and philosophy, but remember, a few years ago he was all for blowing it up, tanking, and building though the draft. Les was like "F--k that. Keep winning, get a superstar, and rebuild a contender on the fly." The fact that Morey actually pulled this off in TWO seasons shows just how awesome a GM he is, but the fact that he had to go about it in such an unconventional way shows who's really running things.

Ultimately I'd say Morey has much more influence on how the team actually plays on the floor than other GMs, but at the same time he hasn't been given the same overall license from his owner to do everything as he sees fit that some other GMs seem to have.

1 person likes this.
  13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Morey is the "Alpha Dog" of GM's...:eek:

[​IMG]

Don't believe me?

[​IMG]

14. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I'd say enough to be a Super GM 2. If he gets us Carmelo he will be powerful enough to transcend to Super GM 3. :grin:

[​IMG]

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

GMs are as powerful as the perceived value of their assets.

And Daryl Morey knows how to collect undervalue assets and put them in a position to succeed.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Morey is the best NBA GM because he has the least power. Morey is an assistant to Statistics.

17. bongman

bongman Member

No other GM has the power to blow up a website with one word - Dadakota

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

What trade value would u put on morey?

19. i3artow i3aller

All the power in the world!
    [​IMG]

20. Doktor Mndbndr

It seems to me Morey is similar to Pat Riley's position on the Heat.

It depends on how the same functions are divided up among owner, GM, coach (and a Riley or Phil Jackson like "president of all basketball operations").

The same title on different teams can encompass vastly different power and responsibilities. For example, a "vice president of so-and-so" can be a very powerful person in one corporation, and a meaningless empty suit in another.

McHale, for example, is certainly a "weak coach" - perhaps even the weakest in the NBA, in the sense of having relatively limited powers.