1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hayyy boys, some questions about a projector

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pen15clubber, May 16, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm new to this whole projector thing but I recently got my hands on one. I got a optoma Hd 142x in a trade with some other ****.

So I have a spare room that's about 12 foot in length. Is that enough room to slap this thing in there? I'm looking for over 100 inches, otherwise I might as well roll with the 80 inch DLP I have in there, right? I guess I could put it in the living room which is lengthier but I like to keep the living room lit up during the day. So probably no dice.

Also could I just project onto my white walls? Or do I absolutely need a screen?

Is there a way to grab a couple extra feet? Maybe project down diagonally and use what the guy called "keystone correction"?

Not going to lie I'm kind of pumped about having a mini movie theater room and if this goes down I'll buy a b****in sound system. Just making sure I'm not wastin my time here.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

... pause ... even for you

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You can project on the wall. Screen will be better, but not necessary. As long as it's a short throw you shouldn't have any issue (which it more than likely is).

I have an LED smart projector that I use occasionally. It used to be my primary source for tv etc, until I ended up picking up a 4k tv.

LCAhmed and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

20 dudes, 5 inches each, how does next Saturday work for you

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Do you know if 11-12 feet would be good enough for around 110 inches? That's about what I'm going for

6. Uprising

Short throw? Yes. You should be able to get to 100" with ~6'

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think @LCAhmed is a projector snob.

8. Uprising

@Pen15clubber
    Here's an old photo from back when I first received the projector and lived in a small apartment few years back.
    That's an old 42" tv below it.

Might be a big photo....
    [​IMG]

LCAhmed likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Pen15clubber and Uprising like this.
  10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

It will all depend on what your projector allows you to do. Some can project 100" screen in as little as like 6 feet away. Others need a full 10-15 feet (this is referred to as the throw). My Projector is about 10-12 feet away and only projects a 78" screen roughly (still takes up the entire wall though). I use the keystone since I am angled from the corner right of the room, however if you're a perfectionist, you may never have a perfectly level screen. I can use the light in the room and still project just fine, however if I get too much natural lighting, that completely kills the projection. I have black out curtains for such events.

Pen15clubber likes this.