1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has this years ridiculous Free Agency made anyone else kind of sick of the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LonghornFan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who's better at basketball? Ryan Anderson or Leslie Alexander?

That's who the winner and the loser are here.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you feel bad about the players getting paid
    I wonder how you feel about Justin Beiber getting paid? That Kattniss chick?
    Leslie the black chick in GhostBusters getting paid?

*shrug*
    Theaters and concert venues aren't lowering prices
    and neither are sports venues

Rocket River

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'm such a leech. The only money I contribute to the NBA is a few bucks on my satellite TV bill, I suppose. My last "concert" ticket was George Carlin in 1997... it's all such a rip-off.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Lol, what a strange post RR. The " black chick " in Ghostbusters. Wut?

5. Steve_Francis_rules

How many people were watching Oscar Robertson play on national TV?

6. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Yeah no. The amount of money players are getting won't affect my interest level in watching the NBA because the amount of money random people are getting, doesn't affect me

7. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i'm not the one paying the contracts, so i dont care. of course it's a lot of money, and it's kind of obscene, but not more than in other sports, so ...

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not sure why a stranger who would have received $10 million a year last summer to play a game is getting $18 million this summer bothers me, but it does just a little when I read about it.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Made me a lot more interested honestly.

Fun follow up to an epic playoffs

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LEslie something. . . she is so unfunny to me

Rocket River

11. MD_in_Training

This.

The fact that ESPN and TNT are essentially tripling their payment to the NBA for broadcasting rights showcases desperation on part of the networks. ESPN and TNT both have stagnant or decreasing subscription revenues. It's also not surprising that their parents companies have issued unprecedented amounts of bonds in the last year in response to continued low interest rates. I mean... all this is trickling down to the players, which is fine. However, this isn't sustainable at all, since revenues are stagnant or falling, and these companies are not able to squeeze any more profit from base consumers, who are not seeing increase in wages in order to purchase these products.

12. rockets13champs

Calm down, you couldve got that money too if you worked just as hard as those athletes

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Salary cap goes up, player salaries go up.

There's nothing you or I can do about it.

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Dude, I completely agree with you - 100%!!! Took the words out of my mouth. I'm glad someone posted this because this league is just turning into $hit. And what makes it worse is that the NBA is now getting so politically left that they are threatening states bans if they don't agree with their political agendas - agendas that half the population or less agree with them on. The NBA has really made me sick!

1 person likes this.
  15. gambingo

gambingo Member

Sick? No, but I would say more like in awe of those numbers and a little bit of envy. What I'm sick of is all those over price **** they're selling, even though I don't buy any lol.

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Players getting paid, nothing wrong about that. These contracts though will be an issue during the next lock out I'm sure. They're going to haggle for more amnesty options so that teams can get out of paying for all these insane contracts. Unless this will continue to be the new norm, then it's fine I suppose as long as the fans don't suffer the inflation to ticket prices, which I doubt the NBA will care..

17. nono

nono Member

The real problem is that there is little genuine talent in the league. There are like 8 good players at max. But there is lots of money from television. The cable monopolies means everyone pays a lot for sports in the US. I know sports are the main draw for cable but hopefully more people cut the cord because right now it's ridiculous. Just give me the 10 channels I want to watch. I don't want to pay for either basketball or football.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't care about the money. We've been through this before a few times in the NBA - it all evens out over time. And I like when the work force gets an appropriate % of the total revenue. It's a great model, it's an old school, a model America was built on.

The part quoted below I agree with 100% though.

I don't mind the fast style of offense but the rules that make post D and perimeter D so much easier are weak. The Rockets added MDA, Anderson and Gordon - everything I dislike about basketball. No grit, toughness (although Anderson competes hard), defense or culture.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I've got no problem with players like Durant, Lebron, Curry, Klay Thomspon, Westbrook, Lillard etc making $80M-$150M+. Y'know, actual stars and superstars. But Conley? Meh. Conley's a good player; wouldn't have minded the Rockets getting him. But he hasn't done enough to earn that kind of money. Plus he seems injury prone. Unless Conley improves his game enough to become a top 5 PG, I think Memphis will regret that deal.

That said, the league and owners are swimming in money due to the increased consumer interest in the league. With that in mind...I'm kinda glad that a good chunk of that money is going to the players rather than the owners pocketing it. It would be nice if ticket and concession prices went down too (but that's not gonna happen).

I like today's NBA but I liked 90s NBA better. There were dominant centers. Players were mentally tougher back then. Also, there were REAL rivalries back in those days. Some teams hated each other. There was more trash talking. All that helped make the product more entertaining.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Made a cap conversion chart to show what first-year salaries under this cap would have looked like last season. <a href="https://t.co/1QKyQAtZJQ">pic.twitter.com/1QKyQAtZJQ</a></p>&mdash; Matt Ellentuck (@mellentuck) <a href="https://twitter.com/mellentuck/status/749309744653987840">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>