1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grantland-Simmons: Reference to Rockets needing a David West type player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yakitori, May 20, 2014.

1. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I agree with this. Everything people are complaining about about concerning our performance in the playoffs goes back to the fact that this team is young and unable to execute in critical moments. Not only do I favor adding veterans I think it's important for the guys on this team to get smarter about their play on the court. Showing a consistent effort, committing to playing good defense, making smart plays, knowing the situation late in games and not making bonehead mistakes, this is what is going to get us out of the first round. Not another coach, not adding another superstar, and not adding more rookies.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In other word: ENFORCER

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just saying this my friend yesterday. A David West type guy would do more than Love for us but maybe I'm crazy.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Making shots, telling young players what to do, encourage others, following game plan, being poised and being clutch

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if Lowry leaves the Raptors i would inquire the Raptors for a Lin for Hayes and Hansborough trade

the salaries would match - I think Lin would do well in Toronto and it would make it easier to move Asik as Hayes still can play backup C though undersized. Hansborough is the type of defending hustle guy we need off the bench - he isnt playing at all in Toronto it seems.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We need a
    [​IMG]-type
    not
    [​IMG]
    but a
    [​IMG]-type
    can you image me with a [​IMG]-type!" - Dwight "Tre" Howard

Rocket River
    obscure movie reference.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Since we're posting pictures. might as well...

[​IMG]

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dang it

9. King901

King901 Member

Did anyone else laugh at the beating parsons to death thing? That was great.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Stopped reading here:
    mainly because they didn’t have anyone like West — the seen-it-all veteran who would have made those three or four we’re-screwed-if-someone-doesn’t-score-right-now jumpers, told Dwight to stop b****ing

Why is the media so fascinated with demonizing Dwight Howard? I don't get it. Was he b****ing off the court? Because he certainly was a model of hard work when he was on it.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This article is stupid and shares the same flaw that a lot of clutchfans share: thinking the roster that lost to Portland this year was the roster that Morey expected to win a title.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This just in: Rockets Need Michael Jordan.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I disagree with the Dwight characterization, but I definitely don't disagree with the need for a strong, vocal, veteran presence. And David West is in my top 3 of favorite non-Rockets, so I'm not mad at the parallel. Indy is likely out in the first round without the stability and no-BS attitude he brings.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The point that the team would benefit from a David West type guy is valid. However, I don't think that Morey is ignoring the need due to reliance on analytics or thinking that just stacking talent gets the job done.

Morey simply decided that adding Dwight Howard was going to be the most important thing in taking the team a step closer to title contention. So, he went out and did what it took to get Howard. After that, the team just didn't quite have the resources or opportunity to add a "David West" type guy in a way that would have made sense.

The team only had the room exception and minimum exception to use on free agents and there really wasn't a David West type that they could have landed but just failed to chase. They got Garcia, who is probably personality-wise pretty close to a David West type, but Garcia couldn't play well anymore and there is only so much "leadership" you can do on the sidelines. The rest of free agency you are at the whims of the market.

The team explored trades, too, but it takes two to tango when it comes to these.
    Who would have made sense as "David West" that was available at the deadline?

Maybe one of the waiver wire guys like Granger or Caron would have made sense. But they did chase Granger and he just chose to go elsewhere. Caron? He looks just a little less washed up than Garcia.

The team has more options in the offseason, though. Trades, full MLE. Would love to see a "locker room cop" type who can also play well on court. Paul Pierce, maybe? Lowry?

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Paul Milsap was the David-West type.

He would have been a big upgrade over Jones. The Hawks decided to keep him, and nearly knocked off David West himself in the process.

That said - they don't need any "type"; Binge-watching 30 for 30 then diagnosing things based on that is foolish but the kind of thing that BS tends to glam on too.

They just need a better player at the PF spot than what they had, be it Kevin Love or Paul Milsap or whoever.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or, we just need our young guys to grow up - we do need a vocal leader out there - Parsons could become that guy, as could Beverly.

DD

18. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

It starts with the coach. He has the pedigree to be that type of leader and coach but is not.

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Veteran influence is always good for any team. I don't know what he's talking about regarding Dwight, who had a very good series and certainly emerged as the true leader of the team. And I'm getting really tired of the media's narrative that the Rockets/Morey "only care about math, not GOOD OLD FASHIONED BASKETBALL DAMMIT"; Simmons should know that analytics has pretty much taken over the entire league except for a couple of hold-outs like the Lakers (the Blazers certainly love their math...).

Also, the big yelling in guys' faces thing might make for dramatic scenes in the movie - and we know Simmons loves movies - but it doesn't necessarily mean winning in real life. I remember in 95, Dave Cowens grabbed David Robinson's jersey and screamed "It's all up to you now!!!" or something and Hakeem still left him in the dust.

What stands out to me about the Rockets this year, aside from some befuddled coaching, is that for a team that relies on so many 3's, they just aren't very good at shooting them, which is really where Simmons's analysis breaks down. The Rockets may want "one big guy, lots of shooters, lots of 3s", but they really only have the big guy down pat and not much else in that formula.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

rockets are soft, its not about the 30-30 type players, they need guys who are just more serious about winning not dancing playing around during warmups etc. Doesnt have to be a bully crazy type of guy.

We dont have that with anyone on our team now. It has to a vet to play this role and not just one. these type of guys rub off on the team.

rondo and millsapp would change the whole culture of the rockets team.

parsons - model, talks too much, soft
    howard - jokes around, dancing, tries to motivate but by that time its to late, they know the real you already
    harden - can be that guy at times, think he would be the first to step up and adpt when vets are brought in, I think deep down he deosnt like the playign around
    lin - same as harden , he can get vocal but his role changed so he knows he cant step up that much and tell people what to do
    bev - tough personal player, but not a leader