1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Got "got" by XP total security

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ketchupNmustard, May 29, 2011.

1. ketchupNmustard

I was just surfing the web, and somehow XP got onto my computer and now I can't do anything without crazy ass pop ups telling me to buy their fake software. I can't surf using any of the browsers on my laptop.

I have no clue what to do to start ridding my computer of it and I'm a broke college student so geek squad can't rip me off this time, someone help, I'll rep you!

2. ketchupNmustard

I can't use my browser to download this ( I'm on my iPhone) is there a way to stop the software from hijacking my browser and just showing a warning page?

3. what

what Member

Format, delete.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Make sure your internet isn't using a proxy set by the virus. Malwarbytes removed win 7 total security for me.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

7. Poloshirtbandit

Is this the one that eventually makes your entire C drive hidden?

8. ketchupNmustard

How do I do that, I just tried safe mode and Total Security still showed up and prevented me from browsing.

Im in a pickle! I have a summer school project due and everything is closed memorial day, I need my laptop lol!

9. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

This might not be a very helpful question, but do you have any other computers? If you do and have a blank cd, it's possible to burn something like Ultimate Windows Boot CD and run the spyware utilities that come with it. Then you would boot back into Windows without it and ideally problem solved.

If not, what exactly is it doing? Any attempt to browse the internet is blocked or severely crippled?

Another option would be to grab a buddy's laptop or desktop and use a flashdrive to try and put MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy on it then run it on your computer in safe mode. I tend to ramble, so please provide further details :)

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. ketchupNmustard in a pickle.

11. ketchupNmustard

Thanks for your help guys! I actually just got my browser working by entering some stuff I found on google in the registry (I'm surprised it work cause I'm not too computer savvy...obviously).

So what do I do now? Download and run malware, anyone know where I can get it for free?

12. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Malwarebytes:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

You might also want to download these and keep these on your computer for the future. It is called RKill and can kill active malware on your computer thus returning a hijacked computer back to you so you can run you antivirus and malware programs.

Link:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Do that, then go to the previous "restore point." It will fix your problems in 10 minutes.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

1. Reboot PC into Safe mode using F8 at the splash screen. (like another poster said).

2. Run rkill available here. Rkill.exe It stops known malware processes. If you aren't able to connect to the internet. Open internet explorer, open internet options. Click on the Connections Tab. Click on Advanced. Un-check proxy server if it's check marked.

3. Download malwarebytes and run the scan. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

4. If the malware caused your files to disappear, download and run unhide.exe here. It will make all your files visible again. A bunch of these new malwares add +h to them. Unhide.exe

#15 Uprising, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just got bit by this bug last week but it was simple to remove. I also started up in safe mode, ran malwarebytes but also ran Spybot search and destroy which you can get for free from Cnet. After that, zero problems. This virus has been going around like crazy btw.

16. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

shot you an email through the bbs for how to use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. hope it helps.

17. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

Before you do all that, see if you can do system restore first. It's much easier.

1. f8 before it starts
    2. command prompt safety mode
    3. login and type rstrui.exe

you may have to change directories into the system32 folder. Simply type "cd c:\windows\system32" without quotes and before step 3.

It works 90% of the time.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This virus wouldn't allow system restore on my pc.

19. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

It doesn't work 100%, but make sure you do it in "command prompt safety mode". Most viruses will disallow use of it in GUI mode.